Beta Fever (zOMg!!1!!2 I WaNt in BETa!!!1!!2)

Jaraeth

Cadet
zOMg!!1!!2 I WaNt in BETa!!!1!!2

Got your interest? cool... now check out the beta news thread over here. :cool:

Feel free to discuss anything beta in this topic ;) Your yearning and burning desire to get into it, and how you, like Daax, are frothing at the mouth just thinking about it.

~ Jaraeth

Okay gang i'm a little curious and a bit confused. Although I like playing Beta Tag with you guys on the forums i'm actually just waiting for the game to be released whenever that will be.

I did play CoV beta and it was most fun because the devs played the heros that are in the comic book that comes with the game and we got to wail on them for the evening. Though they dropped us like flies it was still a hoot.

Yet, I only played for that one evening (3-4hrs) and we didn't get to keep the characters we created.

What is all the beta fever for? Is it just to be the first to play a game before release?

How long does beta last (if applicable) and what does it do?

Have you ever played beta of a game before and if so which one(s) and what did you get out of the experience?

Why do you think you'd be a good candidate for beta?

What will being allowed in beta do for you?

Welp.. My first beta was during the second year of the 3 year long Shadowbane beta. What a blast that was. I was playing EQ1 as well at the time, so it was fun playing something completely different.
I then did beta for a few other games mostly half assedly because they were for games that weren't that great. I did beta for City of Heroes and really enjoyed the game until they dumbed it down way too much. Lineage 2 my girly and I beta tested. I beta'd EQ 2 and a couple of the other Station Pass games that were coming along. The Matrix Online..
Recently Dragon Raja and Roma Victor.

How long beta has lasted has been different per game. Some forever, some it didn't seem like very long at all. I guess it depens on the goals of the company and why they're having beta. A lot of the beta's I did were just stress tests mostly and we were offered some eye candy or got to play with the creator. Other times they wanted to know if this was good, or that, or what not.

Why would I be a good beta tester? I'm not an easy person to wow and I won't pour honey in your ear, ever. I like to think I'm rather truthful and I'm quite opinionated. Often time I like to discern things and bring a miniority view into the mix, not always because it's my strongest opinion but it can often help move along discussions.

I'd beta HJ only if I were asked, I'm not begging. Tho' I am hoping the NDA is strict, but allows for some information to be released regularly. That'd keep me happy. Just every few months allow a couple of those who are beta testing around this community to just reveal maybe what they enjoy about the game so far, what they don't, and what they'd change or keep the same etc. I'd be happy with that.

Well, I've never Beta tested a game before. Honestly, I'm not even that good of a candidate. My computer kind of sucks, I have to go to school. The only reason I could even think of as to why I wouldn't suck as a tester is because I tend to notice bugs and things. Well, more than the people around me, anyway, but probably not so much so as a whole lot of people...

What would being allowed into the Beta do for me? It'd allow me to get a peek in on the game before it's released, find any bugs and hopefully get them fixed before the game came out, and, hopefully, it'd allow me to make some suggestions that'd actually be taken seriously. The second one's just, basicly, that I don't trust other people to do a good job. It's the whole "If you want something done right, do it yourself." thing... Anyway, yeah... :( I'd be a horrible candidate, so I wouldn't ask to get in even if I thought I might be able to. They can find better people for it.

What is all the beta fever for? Is it just to be the first to play a game before release?

Well, yes... when it comes to the bottom of things. Let's face it, who *wants* to find a bug or exploit in a game? Some folks like to find exploits, primarily those who would keep it to themselves so no one else can benefit as they do... true testers reports said exploits & bugs, so no one else can ruin the game for them.

For me personally, I want to play HJ *and* test it. I want to know how much my voice counts in the ant colony, when it comes to my thoughts on the clans & guilds... which, admittedly, are my strongest breaking points for the game... that and the pricing model.

A beta tends to last as long as the developers feel the need to keep it going. Some games have beta stretch over years... some, mere months. Most, end up being about a year, from the first wave of beta invites, to the last prior to going gold.

First wave beta invitees tend to be the developers themselves, and perhaps close friends and family of theirs, in additon to other outsiders who are known by the dev's and/or company to help them find the biggest of the bugs. Second wave is usually a bit more open, and may typically include people who have attended various con's, applied and won through contests, fan site operators, etc. Third wave is usually even more open, pulling people from the company forums... who have been a member, and active the longest. If there is another wave of beta invites, it may be an open beta... anyone gets in... this is typical of when a company wants to stress test their servers... ie: see just how much traffic and how many people a server can hold before it crashes.

Each wave of beta tends to fix less and less. That is... exploits are always fixed... content is adjusted, but not always added during beta. Necessary content changes are made, and general bugs (like getting stuck somewhere) are fixed. Content updates are generally saved for patches and/or expansions.

This is my take on beta, and not everyone, nor every company has the same beta process. How each company decides on who gets in, and who doesn't is purely up to them. Ive' seen beta's go through wave upon wave of invites... almost 20 waves... and I've seen games with 2 beta cycles/waves. It's all up to the company, and it's investors... and how solid the game is.

Have you ever played beta of a game before and if so which one(s) and what did you get out of the experience?

I have played Shadowbane, World of Warcraft, ToonTown Online, Cabal, City of Heroes, and a few others during their beta periods. Shadowbane I liked, alot. I had a guy with wings (I still can't recall the race name), that could hover above the ground and appear to fly and was my priest/healer. I loved the game, even the PvP... but when it went retail, within 2 weeks every ganker came out of the wood work and I could no longer move beyond 2 feet without getting ganked. That was the end of PvP and Shadowbane for me. Toontown was fun, but definitely not my style... aimed at kids for sure. WoW & City of Heroes was fun. Found quite a few bugs, and they did get fixed as I recall...

I had more fun when the dev's said "do something most people wouldn't do... try to break it", and "this is our goal for today... do it, live it, pound it, and repeat repeat repeat until it's been done 5000 times, then do it more". Stress testing instances, quests, npc's and zone's... knowing that you were helping... that made my day, and being able to play the game before anyone else :cool:

I don't always start off doing quests or go beating up mobs. I'm an explorer... so I will purposely run along the zone edges (if there are any) and see if I get stuck... I'll wander around each building or object in my way, trying to get stuck again... then I'll jump off of things and see if I lose health (the large tree in the starting zone for Night Elves in WoW was a favorite of mine... you could jump and never die. Of course, that's been fixed... so they say). I try to think... "everyone is gung-ho on PvP & quests... I'll do something so few do: explore and attempt to use objects that are not intended to be used or interacted with". I won't gain 60 levels in beta, unless requested to do so by dev's... instead... I take my time, wandering, jumping and tripping on my feet, falling on my trusty shears... yelling for "REZ!!!"

It'd allow me to scope clans & guilds, and see if they're what I want in a game... it'd allow me to check out crafting and housing... it'd give me an idea if a game is going to be worth the money that the company will be asking for. If it is, I will hype it up to everyone I talk to. In addition to the preview of playing the game, it'd give me an insight into how the company operates, in that, how they want their game to run, and be perceived. It'd give me a chance to help out a gaming company that I have high hopes for, and hope to help them survive.

~ Jaraeth

Jaraeth, buddy, it seems you have discovered the shift key as of recently. Keep in mind, it is a usefull tool, but it is not to be abused. It's not exactly dirty, but it isn't clean either.

After my pretty long history of beta testing games, I know just how painful the deep breath before the plunge can be, but it's respectable to put up topics like these for the new-comers.

I figured I'd cover the forums at first... thus, newcomers will see "this has been asked before..." and read. Then I'd figure... if we can keep it somewhat organized, even just a little... folks will be able to ask all their beta questions in one spot pertaining to the beta... I mean... I could be wrong here, but I can't see how many questions can be related to beta ... The questions Thaos asked, all relevant and darn good... and "when's beta?" followed by "how do I download the game?!" kind of all fall into it.

Though, I guess... Thaos' questions can be beta related *and* not related, but more related to us as players and our experiences. *shrug*

In my mind, and it's small when compared to all the many minds discussing a topic, this may help to reduce the # of new "I want in beta!" topics that appear.

Now... on to Thaos' questions :smiley:

~ Jar

Think it not wise to mock the froth.

But back on topic.

Frankly, i think I would make a good beta tester because, 1.) I'm freaking psyched about HJ.

And 2.) on a more serious note, I'm not anybody special.

I am a 17 year old, male caucasian living in America. I represent the majority of the type of subscribers and age group that will make up the greatest population of games in general. I'm not some sophisticated journalist or clever article author. I am an average male with average intelligence and average linguistic skills. I like to put my words bluntly, and I like to play games for the fun. I can be a little competitive and sometimes hyperactive when it comes to gaming. I like to explore, journey, quest, and fight. I am good at noticing things out of the ordinary. And I like to play for long hours. And most of all, everywhere I go, I bring humor and smiles to the people around me because I'm good at forming tight bonds and relationships between a community of people with my charisma.

My beta testing experience is limited to mostly only open betas such as GunZ the Duel and Silk Road Online. I was invited to be a tester for the closed beta period of City of Villians, but I never had the chance. I'd really like to test HJ and become a part of something important and breathtaking like this.

i have never beta tested a game but i always wanted to and i think i would be like the only black beta tester ever!!! but i wanna beta test this game because i want to be one of the super old school people and have the tittle that i have beta tested the game. and ill already be a lil informed in the game when it comes to making a real Main Char i wont mess him up.. i know yall who have played those games where you place stats every1 messes up there first char.. and beta testing will give me a chance to get the feel of the game. and i cant wait to see if Mr. Frosty Wrosty Bear lets me slide into beta lol

Let's face it - Simutronics makes extremely high quality games. Now that we have some small expectation that their graphical game is due out relatively soon (in Simu terms), we want it and we want it now. Beta Fever has struck many games before, and most of the time it was merely a desire to play the game before anybody else. For some few, it's an opportunity to have a chance to shape the game. For others, it's a chance to work out the bugs so a quality product is all the general public ever sees.

Betas vary in time, based on many factors. I've beta tested a few EQ expansions, EQ2 pre-release (and been invited to both expansions' betas but declined), and a current beta which per the NDA I'm not allowed to talk about (but I will say, at risk of my financial future, that I disliked it enough to drop it pretty quickly). I've noticed with Sony betas that most people use it to test raid content so they can get the jump on other players. EQ2, pre-release, was rushed horribly in order to beat WoW to market. I'm hoping since Simu's only set a year and not a quarter that they'll take the time needed to get things right. Of course, I've also noticed that they're pretty good about QAing their products internally; if this continues, Beta may be short and mostly about stress-testing the servers with a high load.

Well, I mentioned the ones I've tested, but let me tell you what I got out of them. From the EQ expansions, I got very little; I was never maxxed out and didn't know what to do with a character suddenly at max level. Generally I was able to explore any new lower-than-max content, including tradeskills. From EQ2, I got a feel for how the game would work in general; I'll admit, I was mostly using it as a preview for playing the release game, although I did submit at least 5 or 6 bugs per day. For the other one, once the NDA is released I'll talk a bit about it.

The only situation in which I'd be a good candidate for beta would be one in which I could run the HJ beta client on my laptop. The job I work gives me at least 2 and at most 6 hours per night to myself, and I've been playing EQ2 during that time as it stands. Why not let me in if I can play at odd hours and a whole LOT?

It'll let me experiment, see the hard work that Simu's put into their new-old world, and try to make it as perfect as possible. HJ is the only game in development that I'm excited about, and if I can be one to help raise it right I'll probably have a paternal attitude towards it; not to mention touting it as the New Messiah of Online Gaming.

I like beta testing, I've beta tested lots of games since EQ and always provided feedbacks and suggestions so I consider myself experienced in that department :P. Aside from playing a MMO over the past years playing in a beta I have always set aside time, maybe a schedule to just mess around with the game and do just about everything to find bugs and see what things might need changes and improvements. I always try my best to help polish the game before the game is finished and get's released. Aside from getting to play a beta MMO, beta testing allows me to find not only what character I'm gonna play first once game gets released but scope out a good guild to be in, see if anything needs balancing and of course help find any bugs. If I do get into Hero's journey beta I can assure you that you'll get alot of good feedback and suggestions from me. :smiley:

~Cheers.

I've been in a lot of Betas. I have found that some companies are interested in feedback more than others. Some companies are going to make 'their' game no matter what kind of feedback you give them, all they want are bug finders or server loads. Some companies, few and far between, actually are trying to improve the quality of the experience as an end result and will at least listen. It doesn't mean they will act, but listening is very positive. I will also state that communication with the beta community is a big key or hint as to which way they will go.

I've beta'd some games before where they are all, 'tell us what you want and what you like' one week and then the next week they never communicate with the beta testers anymore cause they have solidified what they are going to do. It is a LOT of work for them to be fully committed to all the benefits and opportunities of the beta experience. Above all else, communication is key during this process.

MMORPGs I've beta'd: DAOC,WOW,COH,Earth and beyond,DDO,Guild wars, EQ2, EVE,Star wars galaxies, and various public betas like silk road or Hero or Dungeon runners.

I wasn't trying to brag or anything. I was just hoping that it might give you all some insight to my perspective. Some of you may be shaking your head 'yup' at some of the things I said and be able to pick out the specific beta from my list cause you had that experience too.

I'm gonna start throwing a temper tantrum if I dont get to beta test soon!!!

Ok not, but I still want to. Until then I'll be puttering around in Dragonrealms.

I think that the beta fever surrounding HJ is because we all want a game that we can roleplay, and we want it sooner rather than later. I currently reactivated my WoW account to give me something to do until HJ comes out, but find it lacking any substance and community.

I keep thinking to myself that I should reactivate my GS account, but most of the people I knew and played with have moved on to other games and I don't want to start all over with new people just to move on in six months to a year.

I think that Simu is one of the only companies that actually listen to their customers, and so being in the beta would give you a chance to make your mark on a new world and help make it a better place.

Oh yes...another roleplay refugee here, I'm currently playing WoW's new roleplay server but of course you're always running into the people saying "roleplaying is optional, and anyone who is "too serious" about roleplaying has something wrong with them".

Just having a look round, I remember peeking in on this game ages ago, glad to see it's still around and getting closer to release.

Now, onto the beta bit:

I've tested quite a few games, and even helped to write some of the lore for others (this would sound impressive if a) any of those games saw release and b) i'd gotten paid. So I approach games from the lore aspect - does a quest make sense? Does it just send you out to kill rats and how boring is that? What's the arc like? Does it tie into lore? And so on.

I'm not a uber programmer either, nor a script kiddie, so if I do go to break something, I'm operating like most gamers, not as a want to be programmer. I think giving the other perspective can be good when it comes to these sorts of games.

A lot of beta testers either just zerg through - wanting to PLAY for free, not test, or get hung up on testing things overmuch, i.e. "if I run down a hill jumping, and turn turn backwards with my sword waving in this direction, I notice my shoes graphic disappears". I don't go excessively into testing because I'm not trying to be a programmer - I'm just a player who knows what would be frustrating as a player to come up against bugwise in a game.

Lastly, of course, I'm a roleplayer. Here's where the "story" thing comes in again. If a game rants on and on and on about how immersive it is, then I want to feel immersed. If I'm killing rats, I'm not immersed, I'm bored, and I'll say so. If a quest isn't even remotely interesting, then I'll also say so.

And of course if some writing is required to create said immersive quests, well here's my card *grin*

I beta tested WoW both in the "Load Test" and "Open Test". I didn't make it in the closed beta. However, it was a blast because a) you knew the game better than people just starting, b) the DM's were always available when issues came up, c) the people most likely to abuse the game weren't there yet and d) everything, absolutely everything was new.

The best part about beta testing is you can help create a balanced game play with the designers can't do without testers. It's great to provide the feedback and usually you can find out why something was designed as it was and make suggestions on how to improve it. It really is about giving back to the community from the very beginning.

It does take a lot of time as they expect beta testers to play between 20 and 40 hours a week. When I test WoW I played around 25 hours a week (mostly because my girlfriend (now my wife) was getting ready to kill me). Otherwise I would have played more. But this game is going to be unique in that what happened one game will not necessarily happen again if you start with the same character/class and that will be awesome!

Can't wait to play.

Back