Beta Fever (zOMg!!1!!2 I WaNt in BETa!!!1!!2)

I would love to get into the beta as well, though for a different reason than I've seen expressed here so far.

I want to see if HJ will live up to a roleplayer's expectations......are the mechanics conducive to roleplaying?

Like....do you see...you hit creature for 58 points....and everyone sits around talking numbers and stats of their equipment.....

Or....

Do you see......you strike a tremendous blow to the forest giant's thigh, crippling it and sending it crashing to the ground, blood spurting from the severed artery.......and you sit around afterwards with your friends gazing at your new sword, wondering if there are secrets to it that you have yet to comprehend.

Not everything has to be spelled out in black and white. The essential element, IMHO, to roleplay is uncertainty. Simu provides the canvas and we players fling paint at it. The interesting part is you never know what color each of us brings to the art class.

This probably didn't belong in this topic but I think that testing of the game has to include testing the 'roleplayabiltiy' of it. (Is roleplayability a word? If not, then I claim it! It's mine!)

Waiting for HJ-Beta is like waiting for the sun have an eclipse. Yep, when it happens, it will be such a magnificently beautiful thing, you could possibly lose your eyesight looking directly at it. However, no matter how hard we try, it won't get here any faster. :<

I wouldn't mind a shot at the beta. Why me? I'm a computer programmer and have extensive practice at testing and debugging software. It's not just the ability to find bugs, but to be able to accurately recreate them and to be able to describe that process clearly. I've beta tested a few other games, not quite the laundry list that some people here have, but enough to be used to what to expect. I've worked on some mods for games, both sanctioned and unsanctioned, so I have some ideas on where to poke around for exploits. And the best reason to pick me, I'm not all that excited about HJ. I think it has a lot of potential, but I'm not blinded by fanboyism.

-Rick

I literally check my email everyday to see if maybe I got a beta invite. I can wait forever for HJ, but hopefully I won't have to.

Excuse me, but did anyone here fill out a survey for Simu about MMORPGs? I filled one out about a year ago, and it said that I was "guaranteed" a spot in Beta.

I know it was legitimate because this link was from the Hero's Journey website. Please, comments?

bhagamu said:
Excuse me, but did anyone here fill out a survey for Simu about MMORPGs? I filled one out about a year ago, and it said that I was "guaranteed" a spot in Beta.

I know it was legitimate because this link was from the Hero's Journey website. Please, comments?

Yes.. I do remember seeing and filling out the survey you are refering to. Unfortunately, there is no (restrain the Daax, please) beta yet. Some day, when we are old and grey, we will get an email inviting us to beta...

That reminds me of one a recent episode of 'The Noob' comic:

20061012.jpg

never saw any survey on the offical website myself, so cant comment on it. as a matter of fact i havent seen anything offical for beta. best bet is to sign up on the offical page.

eee!!

BetaBetaBetaBeta*froth*

I've been wanting this game SO VERY BADLY. *yearn* I've been half playing City of Heroes/Villains (I betaed that, yes. Heehee. No less than ten utter smackdowns by Dev heroes) and modding Oblivion like mad and doing about anything I can to distract myself from the far off estimated release and delaying and such. Started off my MMO-ing "career" playing Ultima Online, graduated on to some NWN persistent worlds, went on to City of Heroes, did some World of Warcraft (*shame*), and back to City of Heroes when the villain stuff came out.

There's some MMOs coming out around now that look mildly interesting (Vanguard, etc.), but NOTHING shall sate the gamelust that Hero's Journey has brought upon me. Just going through the feature list has given me gamegasms. I even like the deities, and I NEVER like the deities.

As far as betas go, I mentioned I had City of Villains. My biggest beta experience has been modding, though. I've modded the flaming fiery burning hell out of Oblivion (Yes, flaming fiery burning.) and NWN, as well as beta-ing stuff for both. Oh, and Morrowind. Did some Morrowind stuff, too. I even helped beta/QA some REALLY game-stretching stuff in NWN as part of the Prestige Class Consortium thing. If it can be broken by a player, I can find it and break it.

I've modded the flaming fiery burning hell out of Oblivion (Yes, flaming fiery burning.) and NWN, as well as beta-ing stuff for both. Oh, and Morrowind. Did some Morrowind stuff, too.

(Going off topic for a sec) Cool, I did a variety of modding for Morrowind and Oblivion- though I only ever posted one mod online. I was forever tweaking those two games for my own personal amusement.

Back