Beta

Yeah, it's kind of a sad life we lead. And I get REALLY mad too. I lose once in anything and I just start breaking stuff and cursing at myself.

I just decided to reply to this because we've started talking about beta in other threads. So, I brought this thread out of the basement and onto the first page.

Originally posted by Xblood@Jun 13 2006, 09:04 PM
couple of months like 3-4 the most
Depends on the game. Some last 3-4, some may be like Vanguard and go for over a full year of beta. So, you never know :smiley: "When it's ready."

*Is hoping no --- kissing will be required because he is alergic to ----kissing which has side-effects of ----kicking, head-smashing, and traumatic bleeding of the victim* lol ;)

Originally posted by Duraenos@Jun 17 2006, 02:49 AM
*Is hoping no --- kissing will be required because he is alergic to ----kissing which has side-effects of ----kicking, head-smashing, and traumatic bleeding of the victim* lol ;)
I DON'T UNDERSTAND!

I wanna get into beta mainly because i wanna make sure this game succeeds. I will pretty much be working hard to get all he bug testing and suggestion in that i can.

agreed, while I really want to see the game, and play around with its features (and hopefully finally decide on a class combo) More so I want to help the game be sucesfull, and helping remove bugs certainly makes for a better launch... though a poor highly unstable launch didnt seem to hurt WoW too much.

...My feelings are mostly of uncertainty when I think of Beta. Sure, it would be awesome to get to see and feel the game firsthand finally, and finding as many bugs as I could would give me some sense of pride, but then I may get burned out on the game before it even launches! :( I don't want that.

...Beta invites should totally go to people who've made suggestions that are implemented. Even if none of my suggestions are, it shows that those people are thinking the way Simu wants.

Given some of the new ideas Simu is trying to implement in Hero's Journey, especially the questing system, the beta testing might take a while, I suppose. After all, with a static quest system you can be more or less sure that what works for two players will probably work for the rest, too. I imagine that with a dynamic system you are bound to run into a plethora of new and exciting problems.
(It still is one of the things which is going to make HJ great, I hope).

I will wait as long as it takes for beta, I have been watching this game for some time now and I can honestly say there is nothing out now or coming out in the near future that even slightly interests me. I even opened up my DR account to brush up on my Elanthia lore.

PS. HAPPY FRIDAY!!!

I think I have everyone here beat except for possibly a few DR guys when it comes to waiting for beta. I have been waiting anxiously for beta for 3 years now. I've been in the Hero Council ever sinced it formed, and made Hero's Hall about 6 months back. However, I was expecting beta last year. Hopefully we can get it out this year. Before the end of the year ;)

I was eager to Beta back in 1999 but then lost interest as HJ development fizzled and revamped. I got serious about HJ, again, around E3 2005.

I have been in Betas for AC, AC2, and GuildWars that I remember... though it wasn't for lack of trying to get into others (eq, eq2, wow, etc).

Betas are definitely about Quality Assurance and Load testing and not about giving Joe Public a free look at the game before it goes live. If you get in, definitely do your best to communicate any reproducable issues, bugs, suggestions, or problems with developers on a regular basis.

navarre said:
Betas are definitely about Quality Assurance and Load testing and not about giving Joe Public a free look at the game before it goes live. If you get in, definitely do your best to communicate any reproducable issues, bugs, suggestions, or problems with developers on a regular basis.
Load testing is definitely the biggest concern of final beta stages. They most certainly do not want server overload to mar their first day live. First open beta, however, will mostly be to determine the glaring errors that slipped through the cracks. Players are notorious for finding obscure bugs that missed internal testing. The problem with selecting these early Beta-ers is that they have to be sure they aren't in it for personal gain (i.e. finding an exploit and not reporting it, hoping that no one else will find it so they can use it to advantage themselves when the game goes live) To up your chances of actually getting into early beta its important to understand you're not playing the game you are testing the game and as such should be prepared to submit regular reports to Simu via whichever system they decide to use. Later entries into beta come preogressively as the system is deemed stable enough to try to up the body count. For these spots, most any old Joe will do, subject to the previously mentioned screening process, so the chances of getting accepted become higher.

meh, while it would be interesting to get into a Beta, most games don't tend to be the same animal when they come out. 9 times out of 10 it's a good change, but I'd rather get myself accustomed to a much closer to final product than the betas typically are.

But yeah...being able to go:
"So yeah, Simu picked me to be one of their beta testers...yepyepyep..." *Stretches out in that kinda cool way*
Does have it's appeal, but really, I do that whenever I accomplish something simple...like remembering to wear trousers.

Back