Bioware's "secret" Hero Engine MMO

blur

Cadet
So everyone over at the TCO forum is buzzing that Bioware's new MMO, which uses the Hero Engine, is indeed a KOTOR-era game.

Your thoughts?

I'd like to see it personally. BETA'd SWG and pretty much was certain there'd never be a good Star Wars game, until KOTOR and even Battlefronts came along.
I dunno tho'. I think most folks would probably want the world filling game that SWG tried to be and instead we'll get a living scifi simecoworld which BioWare and the HeroEngine both are capable of producing.

The KOTOR era will certainly give them a lot more options, it has loads of jedi and sith fighting battles, madalorians running around etc. All in enviroment that has not been under the microscope the way the OT and prequel eras have, which should allow far more creative freedom.

I think Bioware can make a decent go of it. With Vogel as co-director, he has experiance in making an SW based MMO. He can use SWG as a before and after comparison and hopefully avoid.... well the picture I have in my mind is a Super Star Destroyer as flaming wreckage, adrift in the vast emptiness of space.... :(

Yeah Home not once do they even HINT to the game title. Everyone just assumes it is KotOR because that was their big hit. I’ll say here what I said in our guild forums...

why is everyone so convinced that it is gonna be KotOR. just educated guess? I don’t even see anything to make that. simply because these are the guys that did KotOR doesn’t mean anything. I think it's gonna be a Wing Commander MMO, how about that? I think who ever owns the rights to WC thinks Bioware is such a good story teller they hired them to make the new WC MMO. honestly I liked KotOR but not THAT much. I didn’t like it enough to play the sequel. I actually liked Obi-Wan more then I liked KotOR.

other then bioware being involved there is nothing, NOTHING that points towards KotOR. I bet they are making another fantasy MMO, why not they are using Hero engine. I mean it is the same logic, right?

However I AM interested in it no matter what simply because bioware is involved.

Well, the hiring of one guy in particular from SOE, Rich Vogel, who is an absolute SW nut, and absolutely synonymous with SWG, suggests that they're either doing a SW game, or he has just thrown away his dream job to do something new. Which seems more likely to you guys?

it isnt a dream job anymore when you are miserable. or the decision could have been purely financial. dreams dont keep the family fed and sheltered and warm. perhaps the work environment is better at bioware. there are plenty of reasons for him to be employed by bioware now that dont involve SW, no matter how fanatical he is about it.

Right. But can you discount it outright?

And, further, if you were approaching this as an investigator, would it not be at least an avenue you'd pursue?

I would list it as a high probability, but not as an absolute certainty. The flip side is, maybe they have a whole new project and Vogel is looking for a change, due to burnout.

Choosing Austin is quite interesting, too.

Like... why?

Will there need to be a, ahem, *handover* of SWG-related material and, perhaps, personnel?

blur said:
Like... why?

Will there need to be a, ahem, *handover* of SWG-related material and, perhaps, personnel?

Hmmm.Ya know, when they (SOE) dropped the NGE bomb, I recall reading somewhere that they had a year to get things turned around...
Idle speculation at the time as I beleive. But you never know. Considering how empty servers still are.

Well like I have my doubts about there will be 2 Star Wars games, I doubt there'd be two D&D games as well. Tho'. I'd like to see it.

Well if they were doing two SWG MMOGs then they could do one traditional MMORPG and something like an MMO version of Planetside. Basically Battlefronts 3.

Back