Bioware's "secret" Hero Engine MMO

I think any company doing "yet another" fantasy MMO would have rocks in their head. There is still room for a GREAT sf MMO.

Bioware has a VERY BAD relationship with LAE(Lucas Arts Entertainment) because of how controlling with them. They said they'd never make another star wars game again..

Look what LAE did to SWG. :|

So ti's pretty unlikely that they'd be making another star wars game.

Just curious if anyone did read the links I used on my post on page 1 as the Dragon's Age is the game they are making with the Hero's Engine.

On a side note, I am curious about the Firefly MMO starting it's development now.

Kylie said:
Yeah Sci Fi would be nice.....but I dunno, I LOVE Fantasy and will always perfer it over Sci Fi~

QFT

I'm a huge fan of both genre's, but be it book, game, photo, or cofee mug, fantasy will win time after time.

I agree with those who would rather play a Fantasy MMO than a Sci-Fi, but... aren't there enough Fantasy mmo's? Mind, I'm not saying "ZOMG! HJ should be SciFi!" or anything nutty like that... but I'd like to see one or two that can hold it's own. Funcom's 'Anarchy Online' has survived the longest... Seed? Dark & Light? Fantasy with some hints of "futuristic" ... but... meh. Crappy graphics and all, I'm still par for AO until *someone* makes something better. I'd be all hyped over EA Mythic's (*shudder* EA *shudder*) project now on the back burner, Imperator, "what if Rome never fell?".

Having a SciFi MMO among all the Fantasy ones, would probably be the only way to get me to pay for two gaming accounts... obviously primary account would be fantasy, and my secondary would be SciFi, for those days, when I need a gun or laser fashioned sword :smiley: Just my two copper though.

--

On topic, I'll wait for BioWare to be moving in a direction where they'd be confident to say for themselves what they're doing, and what type of game. Everything at this point, is speculation based on other speculation about tidbits they toss out to us pigeons ;)

Oh don't get me wrong... I'm betting the ranch on HJ and, thus, fantasy.

But I would still adore a quality SF MMORPG to be released.

Sooo they tossed HE out the window?

I'm not totally sure tho...

Is the Stream Processing Engine really a graphical engine?
Or is it something shoving info in the "background" and has nothing to do with the visuals?

Sure, HE is supposed to be more then just the visuals, but do you really need the entire "package" when using it?

However, I don't really care. As a gamer I have zero interest in HE, or any other developer tools... All I care about is the final product and if developers can do a fun game.

It sounds like this engine deals with information transfer, which would make it fundamentally different from HE. They serve different purposes, and when combined could make for some really astounding capabilities.

That's pretty impressive stuff actually. MMO's generate scads of data. It sounds like the behind the scenes software that keeps track of all the data for every player including what's in their inventories, ingame bank accounts, levels, transactions, where they were when last logged etc. All of that info is massive data and must be monitored, sorted, stored, cataloged, backed up and, readily recalled when you log in to play so you can go and do just that.

If true, they're not kidding around with whatever they're up to.

They didn't drop HeroEngine, they're just adding StreamBase to the mix. From what I've heard of StreamBase, let me sum up:

HeroEngine + StreamBase + BioWare = God

Back