Superheroes Black Adam (2022)

Tom

An Old Friend
Title: Black Adam (2022)

Tagline: The hierarchy of power in the DC Universe is about to change.

Genre: Action, Fantasy, Adventure

Director: Jaume Collet-Serra

Cast: Dwayne Johnson, Pierce Brosnan, Aldis Hodge, Noah Centineo, Uli Latukefu, Sarah Shahi, Quintessa Swindell, Marwan Kenzari, James Cusati-Moyer, Bodhi Sabongui, Mo Amer, Tang Nguyen, Rahiem Riley, Donny Carrington, Stephan Jones

Release: 2022-07-27

Plot: Black Adam is an upcoming American superhero film based on the DC Comics character of the same name, and is a spin-off film to Shazam! (2019).
Black Adam (2022)

As I work through my Netflix DVD queue, this was my viewing choice this weekend. I wasn't sure what to expect out of this one because on one hand it is a big-budget DC superhero action movie with "The Rock" and on the other hand it is being called the movie that killed the original plans for the DC Universe of movies causing Dwayne Johnson not welcome back. After a viewing, I can see it as a bit of both.

Some things that caught my attention....

The scenes of Khandaq, the middle-east country that is home to Black Adam and where is the entirety of the movie takes place, are so obviously taking place on a sound stage that it makes you wonder where the budget was spent. Johnson's salary? 🤔
Apparently everybody in the middle-east county of Khandaq speaks perfect Americanized English with no accents. This includes Black Adam himself even though he's been imprisoned for 5,000 years and has absolutely no problems not only speaking English but interacting with the contemporary citizens of Khandaq.​
Speaking of it being obviously a sound stage and everybody speaking modern English, did they not have a budget allocated for a costume designer? Take a good look at all of the background actors, it seems like they were chosen randomly and were told to just show up with whatever clothes they were wearing that day.​
Waller is in control of the Justice Society? I am not as deep versed in the DC as I used to be years ago but I don't remember the JSA reporting to Waller.​
So Teth-Adam is re-awakened after 5,000 years, kills a bunch of bad-guys, and is immediately deemed a villian by the JSA & Waller that has to be captured and imprisoned? Never mind the fact that the moral code of somebody from 5,000 years ago will be just a tad different from somebody from today's society, there is no attempt to even communicate with Teth-Adam, they immediately go straight to he must be captured. Huh?​
The JSA does more collateral damage to the city then Teth-Adam, seemingly doesn't care at all about the silly named "Inter-Gang" that is occupying the country, upon arriving in the city their first action is to go after the person that the citizens consider to be their champion, and yet they are supposed to be the "good guys"? The hypocrisy is not only glaring but it is pointed out to them, multiple times, by the Khandaq citizens and yet they still continue to do whatever they want as they go after Teth-Adam.​
So even after coming to terms with his role with the powers of Shazam in a modern world, Teth-Adam, now Black Adam, is still considered a villain by Waller with a not-so subtle threat using Cavill's Superman in a brief cameo?​

With the DC universe being rebooted so many times now it is nearly guaranteed that anything to do with this movie will be quietly made to go away.

DC...Marvel....MEH
Trying to make those movies make cannon sense is insanity.
Thinking the stories are anything other than flow vehicles to the action sequences is silly.

To me, Black Adam was watchable but only if I don't try to make it mean something.
I've seen 'good scifi' and so far none of these 'comic book movies' qualify.

I just wish they would put that kind of money into actual science fiction stories.
I read comics as a kid. When I got older that caused me to favor science fiction and fantasy.
My main problem with these movies is the fact they are all the same.
Someone needs to break that cookie cutter and burn that guide book so we can get something new.