Dismiss Notice
Alien Soup is a free community for fans of science-fiction, horror, & fantasy! Everybody is welcome here.

Blade heads for the small screen (Cinematical)

Discussion in 'Sci-Fi and Fantasy Talk' started by Robby, May 5, 2005.

1. Robby

Robby The Robot

Filed under: Action & Adventure , Sci-Fi & Fantasy Buffy fans better watch out, because a new (er, old?) vampire slayer is coming next year to a television near you. At Viacom cable division's third annual "upfront" presentation at the Madison Square Garden Theatre, Spike TV president Doug Herzog announced the network will adapt the theatrical franchise Blade as a series for early next

[Full article @ Yahoo Sci-Fi]

2. Kevin

Kevin Code Monkey Staff Abductee

That sounds like it might be cool to watch. There really hasn't been a 'dark' fantasy show on TV in ages it seems. Sure, there's been Buffy and Angel and shows in-between but the last series that I can remember that was really aimed at adults was Forever Knight back in the mid-90's.

Of course, though, I may be just too tired and am forgetting some. Anybody else remember any darker toned series since then?

3. Tim

Tim Creative Writer

yeah, the rating and air time of this potential series will dictate how good it is. Blade is adult cool and funny, Buffy is teenage programming in some ways (ok, excepting the high following from blokes in their late wenties/early thirties :) ) The potential for extreme violence and multiple onscreen deaths will make this series sit in a certain timeslot and have limited european syndication sales. Unlessthe structure of the films is compromised of course.

wouldn't it be better to just bring back Buffy? i mean, they brought back Family Guy after all.............

4. Kevin

Kevin Code Monkey Staff Abductee

I think it'd go over well in the European markets.... if I recall correctly the movies did pretty good in that region. If you remember the movies took place in a few different countries so it isn't necessarily a US locale only.

5. Tom

Tom An Old Friend

I liked ForeverKnight.
    DarkShadows
    7Days
    WitchBlade
    DeadZone
    XFiles
    VR5
    DarkSkies
    PsiFactor
    TalesfromtheDarkside
    TalesfromtheCrypt
    Werewolf
    NightVisions
    TheHitchHiker
    HarshRealm
    FirstWave

When you say 'in between' I figure there is NOTHING in between Buffy and Angel as they are the same show. It also depends upon what you are calling 'Dark' and what you classify as 'Adult'. The above examples dealt with things that were young adult but even ForeverKnight was not rated 'R'. Nothing aired as a series that was rated 'R'. Some Would have been rated 'R' by today's wimpy standards.
    Well, I hope you enjoyed the links and memories...:P