Sci-Fi Blade Runner (1982)

droog1

synthemesc addict
Title: Blade Runner

Tagline: Man has made his match... now it's his problem.

Genre: Science Fiction, Drama, Thriller

Director: Ridley Scott

Cast: Harrison Ford, Rutger Hauer, Sean Young, Edward James Olmos, M. Emmet Walsh, Daryl Hannah, William Sanderson, Brion James, Joe Turkel, Joanna Cassidy, James Hong, Kevin Thompson, Hy Pyke, Kimiko Hiroshige, Ben Astar, Dawna Lee Heising, Alexis Rhee, Bob Okazaki, Morgan Paull, John Edward Allen, Carolyn DeMirjian, Judith Burnett, Leo Gorcey Jr., Sharon Hesky, Kelly Hine, Tom Hutchinson, Charles Knapp, Rose Mascari, Jirô Okazaki, Steve Pope, Robert Reiter

Release: 1982-06-25

Runtime: 117

Plot: In the smog-choked dystopian Los Angeles of 2019, blade runner Rick Deckard is called out of retirement to terminate a quartet of replicants who have escaped to Earth seeking their creator for a way to extend their short life spans.
Blade Runner (1982)

To me, this film from the eighties is about as classic as sci-fi can get. I absolutely love the film noir feel, the way Los Angeles of the future is depicted, the acting of Harrison Ford and Rutger Hauer, and especially the direction of Ridley Scott.

Imho, there is a ton to discuss about this movie, from which version is better, (director's cut to me) to the different ending, all the way to whether or not anyone believes Rick Deckard is a replicant. Any of which I would be happy to debate with you.
Most people realize, this movie was lightly based on Philip K. Dick's short novel, "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep", and also, imho, a better story was made for the movie than in the book.
Basically a detective story with sci-fi trappings, this movie is one that I always have listed as one of my all time favorites, along with "A Clockwork Orange". Not just in the sci-fi realm, but in motion pics in general.
Not only Ford and Hauer, but Sean Young, Daryl Hannah, William Sanderson, and Brion James lending more than just credible performances.

I would love to hear everyone's opinions of this movie........

It`s To Bad Ive bought The Tin box !

Push come`s to shove and a gun to my head I would say Bladerunner is my fav Sci Fi movie
I sadly missed it when it was releashed at the cinema`s in the early 80`s but I got to see it when it came out on video and loved it .
When I got to see the directors cut I kinda thought it was not as good as the origanal as I liked the talk over at the start , it got you in the mood of the film right away and as for the ending I still think the origanal again is better.
I bought the Tin Box set a few years ago and it`s brilliant .
The thing now is I have a Blue Ray
What should I do ?
I need help ! or some overtime to buy it .
Is there anyone who has the Blue Ray version ?

Mr. Kite,
First, thanks for the response. Second, I am in polar opposite about which version is better. I do appreciate Ridley Scott's "directors cut" much more.

****spoilers****
a. I've never been a big fan of narration in movies to begin with. Imho, I can think of only two flicks where narration actually adds something positive to the film, and that is A Clockwork Orange and Apocalypse Now. I did see the theatrical release at the movies when it was first came out, and I do ask myself if I would've understood as much if I had seen the dc to begin with. I'll never know now.

b. Then ending in the tr was just way too sappy for me. It showed Deckard and Rachel flying over a wooded area and he was exclaiming how "special" she was, programmed with no life span. I just thought the dc ending was more realistic for me. The final shot was Deckard and Rachel climbing into the elevator of his apartment building, with gun drawn, the elevator door closes, and the viewer is left to wonder what may have become of them. No hint at all about a long life span for her.

It makes what Gaf said (Edward James Olmos, I can't believe I omtted him from my OP) "it's too bad she won't live, but then again, who does?" much more meaningful, imho.

I feel for ya' as far as blu ray goes, Mr. Kite. I finally have gotten all my old vcr collection onto dvd now, only to find there is a better tech for movies in blu ray. Now, I get to spend hundreds more buying my collection of flicks on blu ray. Maybe I'll just wait another ten years ' til the tech changes again....oh, well!!!!

Origami For Beginners

Well Droog 1 thats the beauty of Sci Fi movies we all have our own opinions and favorite parts :D
As for buying the Blue Ray , I don`t think I will hold back much longer .
Ridley Scott is a genius and for him to make 2 of the best Sci fi movies ever in a space of a few years , well I guess I can`t argue with him and of course you Droogie when he says the Elevator ending is the better
So ...:notworthy:

Bladerunner: A masterpiece of science fiction

rutger-hauer-upper-body.jpg

BLADERUNNER for me, is still the best science fiction dectective drama ever made, I have yet to see it's equal. Great direction, cast of actors, effects, soundtrack and yes those impressive special effects that fill our eyes with trance-like pleasure. Much like a milk drink that sharpens you up for a night of ultra-sci-fi fantasy fun.

Hello Droogies (Droog1 & Mr Kite),

I have to agree with you Droog1, there are very few really good movies that have acceptable narration. You mentioned A CLOCKWORK ORANGE & APOCOLPSE NOW (I liked the original ending better). Two great classics! Have either of you Droogies seen THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING (1975)? It stars Michael Caine & Sean Connery, I thought it was a marvelouss adventure film that also had narration in it.

Well, nice to meet you Droog1, "Laters" Mr Kite............

Re: Origami For Beginners

Well Droog 1 thats the beauty of Sci Fi movies we all have our own opinions and favorite parts :D
As for buying the Blue Ray , I don`t think I will hold back much longer .
Ridley Scott is a genius and for him to make 2 of the best Sci fi movies ever in a space of a few years , well I guess I can`t argue with him and of course you Droogie when he says the Elevator ending is the better
So ...:notworthy:

No, Mr. Kite, I just thought the ending was better for my own personal tastes and that's all. Like I said above, I have to wonder if I would have understood as much of this movie if I'd seen the director's cut first. It is one of those "to each his own" kinda things.

Starbeast, I have seen "The Man Who Would Be King" a very long time ago, and really don't remember that much detail. I have considered it one of Connery's best movies outside of the Bond genre, but to post an opinion I would have to catch it again.

Has anyone ever read the book "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep"? Totally different story, to say the least. The term "Blade Runner" was never used in the book, something they came up with for the flick. In the book, Deckard was a bounty hunter, not a cop. Decent book, but the movie is much better, imho.......

droog1, asides from 'The Man who Would be King' I suggest you check out the rare to find 'The Offence' with Connery in, and of course everyone here should be aware of 'Outland' now which imo is one of Connery's best films.. and linked to that in a small way, for the younger readers, take Harrison Ford where Indiana Jones and Connery are concerned and go back and watch, 'Regarding henry'. All these films show up scifi greats in alternative acting roles.

droog1, asides from 'The Man who Would be King' I suggest you check out the rare to find 'The Offence' with Connery in, and of course everyone here should be aware of 'Outland' now which imo is one of Connery's best films.. and linked to that in a small way, for the younger readers, take Harrison Ford where Indiana Jones and Connery are concerned and go back and watch, 'Regarding henry'. All these films show up scifi greats in alternative acting roles.

Tim,
Have seen Outland more than once and am in agreement with you as far as it being one of his best post Bond roles. With good ol' Peter Boyle as the bad guy.
Have you ever seen or do you remember "Zardoz"? Another Connery sci fi flick. Been a very long time since I viddied that one and don't remember liking it that much, but that was in my youth and am willing to give it another shot these days.

Back to Harrison Ford, however...I do believe he was quoted along with Ridley Scott saying that Deckard was definiteley a replicant. I kinda hope they were both dead wrong and I'll explain why after I hear some more opinions.

Does anyone remember a very young Ford doing a bit part in Apocalypse Now? During the scene where Capt. Willard was recieving the orders to kill Kurtz....

How much for the sheep ?

I have read the book Do Androids... I long time ago mind(for I am getting on a bit ) and I was very surprised how so different from the film .
But you have with film it`s a masterpiece .
Here`s a thought when you narrow it down to the basic plot Bladerunner is a love story.

And yeh I did know Harrison F. was in Apocalypse now .

Blade Runner is my all time favorite movie. I love it so much I had to track down and purchase the glass Deckard uses to sip on his Johnnie Walker Black.

126.jpg

Cibi Double Old Fashion by Arnolfo Di Cambio

Blade Runner is my all time favorite movie. I love it so much I had to track down and purchase the glass Deckard uses to sip on his Johnnie Walker Black.

Cibi Double Old Fashion by Arnolfo Di Cambio

Now, THAT'S a movie fan...my hat is off to you, sir. Thanks for the contribution.

How about passing out some of that Johnny Walker, please?

That is very cool Starbeast. I just got off the site that tells how the gun was reproduced and what it's original parts were, and it was fascinating. Talk about a prop I would love to own....

Thanks for the heads up on that one, also.......

Just about every sci fi forum that I have ever belonged to has debated the question of whether or not Rick Deckard was a replicant, so i'm going to bring it up here also.

I'd love to know what you guys think.

There are two very good sides to this question, I will give my personal opinion after I glean a few of yours.

****spoilers****

If you've seen the Director's Cut of this movie, there is an uncut scene of Deckard dreaming about a unicorn. In the last scene, Gaf leaves an origami unicorn on the floor of deckards apt building, insinuating to some that the only way Gaf would've known about the animal was if Deckard's memories were implanted.

If you look at the scene of the owl, and one other replicant, I believe maybe Rachael but feel free to correct me on that, have a reddish glow in the back of their eyes when the light hits correctly. You catch a short glimpse of that in Deckards eyes also in one scene.

Ridley Scott came out and unequivocally said that Deckard was, whereas Ford and Hauer said if Deckard was, it would change the meaning of the movie too much, and I tend to agree. I'll let you know how here in a few.

I don't believe it was a factor or issue for P.K.Dick, whom, imho these characters truly belong to.

Please, what do you guys think?

Ruger Hauer & Harrison Ford says: Leave Bladerunner alone.

Ridley Scott came out and unequivocally said that Deckard was, whereas Ford and Hauer said if Deckard was, it would change the meaning of the movie too much, and I tend to agree.

Now I like Mr Ford and Mr Hauer even more now. :D Sorry Mr Scott.

Please, what do you guys think?
Personally I think the debate is part of what makes it a great movie. :D If the movie spelled out precisely each element, such as whether Deckard was or was not a replicant himself, then I don't think people would still be talking about it 20 years later. Take one of the pivotal scenes of the movie, where Roy decides to not only let Deckard live but saves his life as well... did Roy come to embrace the value of how precious a human life is or was his actions the result of wanting to allow a fellow replicant a longer chance at living?

Add to that that the movie, in all of its many incarnations, still allows two people to watch the same movie and not only come away with different opinions in regards to the topic of Deckard being a replicant but have completely different interpretations of what the movie represents. For me that is the sign of a great movie.

Add to that that the movie, in all of its many incarnations, still allows two people to watch the same movie and not only come away with different opinions in regards to the topic of Deckard being a replicant but have completely different interpretations of what the movie represents. For me that is the sign of a great movie.

Good point, Kevin.

This is why I believe Deckard to be human.

It would change the meaning of the flick negatively too much for me. What i like about this movie the most is the fact that we have a very, very jaded character like Deckard who can't stand his life, his occupation, etc. being shown what's it's like to live for nothing more than a few more precious seconds of life, being shown what's it's like to BE human, from an artificial life form. (Baty) To the point where Deckard accepts this fact and risks his own life to protect someone he loves, whether she is "artifical" or not.

If Deckard were a replicant, learning from and protecting his own kind, the movie would not have the same impact for me.......

This is why I believe Deckard to be human.
If Deckard were a replicant, learning from and protecting his own kind, the movie would not have the same impact for me.......
Coincidentally, I just watched Blade Runner: The Final Cut on Tuesday night and watched it with a new perspective. The Final Cut is Ridley Scott's preferred version of the film and features a few new touch-ups & slight changes above & beyond the original Director's Cut version. Think of it the Blade Runner version of the re-issued original trilogy Star Wars films that Lucas did.

Like the Director's Cut edition, this version has no voice-over, has the added unicorn dream by Deckard, and removed the final scene from the theatrical release so that instead the closing scene is Deckard finding the origami unicorn in front of his door.

The changes are enough so that Scott's feelings on the subject of Deckard being a replicant or not are made clearer and, to a first time viewer, I think their opinion on the matter would be swayed even more to one side than somebody who is aware of the other versions of the film. Personally I think those changes should not have been done. Visually The Final Cut is stunning but now there is less room for debate.

Either way, I think I'll be putting the 5-disc version on my Christmas Wish List. :D

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database