Sci-Fi Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

Tom

An Old Friend
Title: Blade Runner 2049

Tagline: The key to the future is finally unearthed.

Genre: Science Fiction, Drama

Director: Denis Villeneuve

Cast: Ryan Gosling, Harrison Ford, Ana de Armas, Sylvia Hoeks, Robin Wright, Mackenzie Davis, Jared Leto, Carla Juri, Lennie James, Dave Bautista, David Dastmalchian, Barkhad Abdi, Hiam Abbass, Wood Harris, Edward James Olmos, Tómas Lemarquis, Sallie Harmsen, Sean Young, Loren Peta, Mark Arnold, Krista Kosonen, Elarica Johnson, David Benson, Kingston Taylor, Ben Thompson, Ellie Wright, Suzie Kennedy, Stephen Triffitt, Vilma Szécsi, Kincsö Sánta, André Lukács Molnár, István Göz, Pál Nyári, Joshua Tersoo Allagh, Zoltán Béres, Konstantin Pál, Ferenc Györgyi, Samuel Brown, Mary Lukasiewicz

Release: 2017-10-04

Runtime: 164

Plot: Thirty years after the events of the first film, a new blade runner, LAPD Officer K, unearths a long-buried secret that has the potential to plunge what's left of society into chaos. K's discovery leads him on a quest to find Rick Deckard, a former LAPD blade runner who has been missing for 30 years.
Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

Blade Runner 2 Is The Least Necessary Sequel Of All Time
Rob Bricken at Io9

He said:
The only thing a Blade Runner sequel can do is diminish the power of the original. It's a losing proposition for the movie, Ridley Scott, his legacy, and audiences. There is no upside. A Blade Runner sequel isn't just unnecessary, it would be a detriment to one of scifi's undisputed masterpieces. Wake up, Ridley.

I personally do not want to see a sequel to Blade Runner. No prequel and no remake.

One of my favourite movies so I would like to see a before or after but the prequel does have a sertain charm to it .

I always wondered why or how the skin jobs defied their programming

The date has been set... Blade Runner 2 (not final title) with Ryan Gosling and Harrison Ford, back as Deckard, will be released on January 12, 2018.

Not much is known yet other than the timeline will be a few decades after the original movie.

Blade-Runner-2049-2017-1-203x300.jpg

Blade Runner 2049 2017
Thirty years after the events of the first film, a new blade runner, LAPD Officer K (Ryan Gosling), unearths a long-buried secret that has the potential to plunge what’s left of society into chaos. K’s discovery leads him on a quest to find Rick Deckard (Harrison Ford), a former LAPD blade runner who has been missing for 30 years.

Released: 6 October 2017

Genres: Sci-Fi, Thriller

Director: Denis Villeneuve

Cast: Harrison Ford, Ryan Gosling, Ana de Armas

For me this is a Must See film.

Blade Runner 2049 - 2048: Nowhere to Run ( 2017 )
Blade Runner 2049 - 2048: Nowhere to Run: Gentle Sapper a replicant unleashes his true power when he sees his loved ones in trouble.

https://images.{...}/thumbs/2800245_Blade_Runner_2049_2048_Nowhere_to_Run.jpg
  • Currently 4.04/5
(23 votes)
Ratings: IMDB: N/A Metascore: N/A RT: N/A
Released:
September 14, 2017
Runtime: 5 mins
Genres: Action Sci-Fi Short
Actors: Björn Freiberg Dave Bautista Gaia Ottman Orion Ben

Blade Runner 2049 - 2036: Nexus Dawn ( 2017 )
Blade Runner 2049 - 2036: Nexus Dawn: Niander Wallace demonstrates the merits of new type of Nexus to the LAPD.

https://images.{...}/thumbs/2800200_Blade_Runner_2049_2036_Nexus_Dawn_2017_55.jpg
  • Currently 3.75/5
(16 votes)
Ratings: IMDB: 7.1/10 Metascore: N/A RT: N/A
Released:
August 30, 2017
Runtime: 6 mins
Genres: Sci-Fi Short
Countries: USA
Director: Luke Scott
Actors: Benedict Wong Jared Leto Set Sjöstrand

I personally do not want to see a sequel to Blade Runner. No prequel and no remake.
Funny how an actual trailer can change my expectations.
That and I am also jonesing for some good scifi movies.
Here's hoping it isn't a sux fest

Watched it Christmas Night.
First one is much better, more action, better story.
This one felt like it was trying to grandiose the story.
The music got on my nerves it was so boring.
A filler movie with very little substance.
The future is very foggy.

Last edited by a moderator:
In a way, I think the first blade runner was kind of like a ghetto sci-fi, Star-trek is much better....

Last edited by a moderator:
Netflix US has Blade Runner 2049 available on DVD so I watched it that way.

Visually, it's a stunning movie and it almost makes me regret not seeing it at the theater when given the chance. Set 30 years, well 29 to be pedantic, after the original it feels like the Blade Runner world of 2020 that is in decay. The landscape scenes are sweeping and watching it on a TV doesn't really do them justice.

Story wise, there are few things that bug me about it. For example, if Wallace is willing to do just about anything on Earth, including murder, then why does he need to take Deckard off-world to torture him? That's a bit of a "Huh?" moment. And the bit with the blackout years earlier as the excuse for missing records seems more like a giant McGuffin than something that was instrumental to the story.

One bit of fun was the giant trash dumps of San Diego. Keep an eye out for the large floating ships that are dumping trash to the ground below, they might look familiar to you from a different movie. ;)

Also finally caught up with the sequel, in a word disappointed. Fan theories around the first movie once again proved to be false, but the twist coming at you in this one is left field, re-watching the first movie there is simply no ground work for it.

Overall found the movie to be bloated and a tad on the boring side, though as Kev has pointed out the visuals are awesome.

Clearly things are being set up for a 3rd movie, though given the box office results that might not happen.

I still think Mr. Scott should have put more effort into the Alien Covenant film. Man what a let down. Friggen David did not create those space critters, A robot cant be the "devil" he has to be programed to be a bad guy. Those critters were a zillion years old, as per Alien "1". Dangit Ripley, do 1 film at a time. Prometheus was headed in the right direction.:banghead::banghead:

Yeup, I just saw the 2nd blade runner film. The beginning lookd ok, a couple of high tech spacy cars driving through the imaginary city scape. Then I saw the dystopian house and farm of a supposed nexus who went nut-so and he had to be taken care of. Ok cool I thought, but then as the film dragged and dragged on I thought "Man I am glad I didn't pay to see this film" LOL. It was sooooo boring I fell asleep many times. I have said many times they need some fresh writers in the movie industry, because this film sucked sooo bad! LOL! I noticed Mr. Ford in many films since the muppets defeated the empire in 86' is tired of the lameness! LOL
b7b3903eff68db92_han2.xxxlarge.jpg
Mr. Ford, please write a film, any genere! signed a certain individual...…..

Last edited:
I am very happy the creative team of 2049 wasn't concerned with dumbing it down for people who don't have the interest or attention span to watch SF. Most SF films are terrible, and both Blade Runners are elegant, thought provoking, realistic and engrossing.

At first,folks, I was one of those people who wasn't thrilled about the news of a sequel to Blade Runner. Some movies just should be left alone. I thought this was one of them.
I found myself pleasantly surprised, especially the plot twists that I didn't see coming.

"SPOILERS"

I never anticipated Deckard being able to get Rachael pregnant, and I sure as hell never thought that society would use replicants as Blade Runners. Quite cool imho.

Something I did not understand however. How did Officer K come to the conclusion that the Dr. who made the memories for the replicants was Deckard's daughter?

However, the character in the sequel that I found to be the most interesting was Joi, Officer K's holographic girlfriend. She was the only "person" in the entire movie who had any regard or respect for K to begin with. Yes, that's how she was programmed for customers, but she supported that guy no matter what.

Another question please. With advancements with Siri and Alexa that we've seen, does anyone think it's possible that our society might create "Jois" for the average blue collar human of the future? If so, do you folks think it may be a good or bad thing? I personally am kind of torn. I could see myself possibly owning a "Joi", but I couldn't see myself relying on her for anything more than information. What do you folks think?

"Mere data makes a man. A and C and T and G. The alphabet of you. All from four symbols. I am only two: 1 and 0."
"Half as much but twice as elegant, sweetheart."

However, the character in the sequel that I found to be the most interesting was Joi, Officer K's holographic girlfriend. She was the only "person" in the entire movie who had any regard or respect for K to begin with. Yes, that's how she was programmed for customers, but she supported that guy no matter what.
I think Joi continues the tradition of posing a questions about the validity of a character's humanity and then letting the audience debate it rather than tell them. The first movie did that with Deckard and Holden possibly being replicants and not knowing, and 2049 does the same by making Joi seem to have genuine feelings, and then show that they are at least possibly part of the product.

Something I did not understand however. How did Officer K come to the conclusion that the Dr. who made the memories for the replicants was Deckard's daughter?
I forget the details, but I think it had to do with the fact that his implanted memories match the history of Rachel's child, and the she had described her process as coming from her own experience. (But I may have that muddled.)

Thanks Tiran. Interesting points. And I wonder if an entity like Joi could ever be sentient with enough A.I. After the Joi in my house understands and adapts to my personality and environment, then wouldn't my Joi be different from everyone else's? She may never be "solid" so to speak, but possibly adaptable enough to be an interesting companion. Would an attitude such as mine be healthy? Aren't we already so involved in social media and the net that our interactions with real people could be compromised even more? Or would having a personalized Joi in our lives be another relationship worth having? Especially after adapting herself for the owners environment.

What about the ladies' opinion on this site? Would a male "Joi" be of interest or disgust for you all?

"Fiery the angels fell, Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders....burning with the fires of Orc."

And I wonder if an entity like Joi could ever be sentient with enough A.I. After the Joi in my house understands and adapts to my personality and environment, then wouldn't my Joi be different from everyone else's? She may never be "solid" so to speak, but possibly adaptable enough to be an interesting companion. Would an attitude such as mine be healthy?

It is easy to draw lines when the intelligence is artificial. But let's be honest - is a relationship with a pet or a sociopath really any different than one with something slightly less than fully sapient inside a computer? In all three of those cases the other party is not as fully "self aware" as a regular person, but we wouldn't question two of them.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database