Book 7 (pre-release) discussion - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

I have a theory about what might happen but I'm gonna spoiler tag it just in case

I don't think Dumbledore is really dead because he died with his eyes closed, and people killed with the Avada Kedavra spell dies with their eyes closed.... so maybe Dumbledore is using a horcrux??

Welll my friends and I were talking and we think that it's Ron, Harry, and Voldemort that will die. And Harry will get the reprise. Also we don't think that Sirus is dead we think he is just floating somewhere. I think that Snape is evil and will end up in the prison.

I. agree. completely.
Ron is my heart.
I would die. Sadness. -_-

But it just doesn't sound right to me to have only one part of hte trio left. I always imaged only one of them would die. Or maybe all, I guess. But Hermione on her own? It seems weird.

omg if hermione lost her 2 best friends i would actually feel bad for her for once :eek:
well not really :lol: i like book!hermione its movie!hermione i hate, but that's just me ^_^

I'm at peace with movie!Hermione, but to imagine JKR writing Hermione by herself is just weird. If there has to be one trio person left, it'll be Harry. I think. Because he can be all tough and handle it. I can't picture that forever angsty!Ron or Hermione...

yes that's true, but i dont believe JKR would ever kill ron & hermione... both of them, that is. Because altho harry would probably be the best ouf ot he 3 to survive on his own how freakin depressed and dark and twisty inside would he be :blink: sheesh... see thats why i think he'll die

Nice way of putting it. :lol: That makes me think all three will survive, so that they can pull him out of his corner.

Or yeah, Harry will die... But I don't know these days. Sheesh! This book had better be fat. And I mean really fat. Heavy, too. :D

book seven title!!! (spoiler tags incase you dont want to know, but i cant imagein why you wouldnt! )

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows

my reaction:

ummmmmmmmm OKAY what a freakin weird title. When i was playing the hangman on JKR's site to get the answer i got the 'hollow' part right away and i got all excited and started squeeing, "GODRICS HOLLOW GODRICS HOLLOW" clearly i was wrong lol... i just cant wait for it to be released!

Hmm... see this is an interesting title indeed. Let's start with some definition of the two most important words

Hallows:
1. To make or set apart as holy.
2. To respect or honor greatly; revere.
3 to consecrate anew, as after a desecration.

Deathly:
1. having the physical appearance of death
2. causing or capable of causing death; "a fatal accident"; "a deadly enemy"; "mortal combat"; "a mortal illness"

So to me, the first question I would ask is what in the HP series has been desecrated. The first thing that comes to mind is the soul of Voldemorte. book 6 made a huge deal out of just how much damage Voldy has done to his soul by creating 7 horcruxes. The other point is that the word is deathly, and not deadly. To me, I think there is a difference. The meaning of deathly is having the appearance of death . To me, that means, like death, but not actual death. There was a huge point about faking death in book 6 as well. I'm not sure, but could this have to do with the purification of Voldy's soul? I was thinking on a superficial level, it could mean to make VOldy's soul whole again, but releasing all 7 parts from this existence into the afterlife.

Though of course there's also the connection to the word Holloween, and relating to the world Hollow. as in Godric's Hollow. Of course all things relate back to Gordric's hollow. and it would also makes sense the word deathly would be in there, since Harry's parents died there.

Then there's the idea of Halloween. This thing started on halloween, and it would make sense that it ends there. And in many cultures, Halloween is considered sacred, because it's the one time where magic is most potent, and the spiritual world can make contact with the physical. Just a few thoughts.

Weird. :mellow:

BUT! If you put in the plural in the online OED, you get the following:

hallow, n

1. A holy personage, a SAINT. (Little used after 1500, and now preserved only in ALL-HALLOWS and its combinations, q.v.)

2. In pl. applied to the shrines or relics of saints; the gods of the heathen or their shrines.
In the phrase to seek hallows, to visit the shrines or relics of saints; orig. as in sense 1, the saints themselves being thought of as present at their shrines. Cf. quot. c1440 in 1.

b. holy of hallows: see HOLY.

3. hallow- in Comb. (chiefly in Sc.) is used for ALL-HALLOW- = All Saints'-, in HALLOW-DAY, HALLOW-E'EN, HALLOWMAS, HALLOW-TIDE; also hallow-fair, a fair or market held at Hallowmas; hallow-fire, a bonfire kindled on All-hallow-e'en, an ancient Celtic observance.

Let's dispense with the spoiler tags. ;)

When I first saw the title I thought it said Deathy Hollows. And I was all confused (Deathly Hollows, what the hell does that mean? :lol: ). But hallows doesn't help that much either, but the title has the worrd deathly in it, so I guess we can expect it to be pretty dark (which most of them are).

of course she'll kill him!!!
is it sad that at this point i'll actually be disappointed if he doesnt die? :lol:
my dad and i are in an argument about this though - he says killing harry would be unneceesarily cruel... eh whatever its good literature ;)

Yep. JKR really has come a long way, writing-wise. Though at times she could condense a bit (even though that would be sad, it could be benefitial at certain pionts in book 5), she's awesome. The world she's created sucks you in...

I Harry does die I'm going to be really sad, but I guess it's kind of necessary. At least this way she knows nobody can ever really take her character and make something new of it. I have no idea what to expect of this book. The only thing I do know is that it's going to be soooo awesome!

Back