Book Discussion

leah if you loved poisonwood Bible you will love The Little Friend,

Who wrote it? It's not Kingsolver, is it?

Oh wait... I just saw that you posted it. Go me! Blah. I've been out of it all day. The Devil Wears Prada is staring at me and I need to keep writing my paper. :( Man, I'm gonna be up all night...

I remembered Donna Tartt wrote the little friend, but who wrote Poisonwood Bible?

The bad seed was definitely interesting, but I thought her mom really was her mom...and that she came from the long line of killers. But that sounds kind of weird, I think the mom just didn't remember doing anything when she was younger. Right? or am I totally off....I saw the play a while ago! The end just blew me away, because I guessed that the mom was trying to kill her....but who would've guessed she would still be alive. And watching it....the little girl with the role of Rhoda was amazing. She just gave you this look in the end, that she knew everything that had happened, like her mom, but no one else.... Very interesting to think about.
I think the idea that genetics played the role in why Rhoda did what she did is incredible. Thinking just back to what you said....can a person really not have a conscience? Is it possible, because if it is, Rhoda just proved it. Is that why people kill nowadays? Because they are genetically prone to do so....or is this just insanity?

btvaughn said:
I remembered Donna Tartt wrote the little friend, but who wrote Poisonwood Bible?

The bad seed was definitely interesting, but I thought her mom really was her mom...and that she came from the long line of killers. But that sounds kind of weird, I think the mom just didn't remember doing anything when she was younger. Right? or am I totally off....I saw the play a while ago! The end just blew me away, because I guessed that the mom was trying to kill her....but who would've guessed she would still be alive. And watching it....the little girl with the role of Rhoda was amazing. She just gave you this look in the end, that she knew everything that had happened, like her mom, but no one else.... Very interesting to think about.
I think the idea that genetics played the role in why Rhoda did what she did is incredible. Thinking just back to what you said....can a person really not have a conscience? Is it possible, because if it is, Rhoda just proved it. Is that why people kill nowadays? Because they are genetically prone to do so....or is this just insanity?
yes donna tartt did write the little friend(and secret history which looks really good!) and Barbara Kingsolver wrote poisonwood Bible.

btvaughn i get at what you are thinking, maybe her mother doesnt remember or is trying not to and that is why she turns a blind eye to rhoda's behavoir? there are so many which ways this could go but nothing really seems to fit to me?!LOL! but i think rhoda knew what she was doing all along, i dont think she was as innocent and naive at all, she knew she was killing ppl and that what is freaky!and yes having a good actress playing a role like that helps alot! not many ppl can play freaky well!

that's on my summer reading list because in the Fearless series, Gaia mentioned this book and now i'm going to read it!!! and also read the Fearless series... they're reallllly good.

K. Ackles said:
Have any of you studied Catcher in the Rye, and know what the symbolism and whatever else there is to know about it.
am i sensing a project?!lol, jk! and no i havent, it was an option my freshman year but i picked the other book(joy luck club! which i recommend!amazing book!)

Playing freaky....I didn't think of it like that! lol
And I think Rhoda did know, but she didn't think anything was wrong with it, obviously or she wouldn't do it. I think her mom, didn't want to believe Rhoda would, but if I remember she had flashbacks or something similar that triggered her memory to remember what happened to her as a child (if she was the convict). Considering that, what did her father know, actually? He was a writer or detective or something similar that he knew what happened to Rhoda's mom.

I read Catcher in the Rye and I wrote about the symbolism, I'm sure, but that was almost 4 years ago and I'm not sure if I still have any papers I wrote from then. But I will check and get back to you! :smiley:

So...as you suggested Vic, what did you and everyone else who read it, think of Cry, the Beloved Country?
I loved the parallels it drew with the Bible...very interesting!

i dont know but i didnt like it at all(i was bored by it but i think the main thing about it was i was forced to read it in school and only read three chapters so i knew the characters enough to whip up an essay!HA!)but i couldnt get into it, i thought the first couple chapters were rather boring, but thats just me!

YAH!!!!nance reading Poisonwood Bible, where are you at in it? i loved that book, read it twice, amazing!my favorite characters are leah, anatole and adah!tell me when you are finished so we can discuss!

i finished the first chapter on Leah but i'm really confused... ok the first section says
"Orleanna Price
SANDERLING ISLAND, GEORGIA" and goes the book starts " Imagine a ruin so strange it must never have happened...." that is Orleanna Price speaking??

OH i like leah too!!! lol they stuffed themselves on the airplane! :lol: i'm on page 20!! heeh but i'll probably finish in a 3-5 days!

yes that was orleanna price speaking, she is looking back on her time in africa where as the girls are talking about it while it is happening! and lol, i loved that part! with all the clatter and nonsense and the betty crocker, quite sad if you think about later on in the book! i love when you get to adah, "Evol's Dog, HO!"lol, you'll understand when you get there!

just keep reading i m not going to tell you athing! nothing but one of my favorite parts of the book includes your suspicions! ugh! im not going to talk anymore about it!sorry!

young lady you are supposed to respect your aunts, doesnt my sister teach you a thing about respect i will have to have a chat with her!
sorry nance, i wrote you a pm about it!forgive me!

Back