book recommendations

Hey, all!
I am expanding my collection of sci-fi books.
Recommendations would be appreciated.

My preferences are modern authors that make you think while you are reading. In-depth character development is also important. Right now, I am looking for a good sci-fi series, one where you can't wait to read the next book.

Any suggestions will be taken into consideration. Please, I am looking for sci-fi at the moment, not fantasy.

Thanks in advance.(y)

David Feintuchs Hope Series is the best scifi series i've come across for characters.

Richard Morgans Takeshi Kovacs series for brutal mercenary/political/cyberpunk storylines

use www.fantasticfiction.com like imdb or tvtome, but here for books! to follow authors or get covers where necessary

My preferences are modern authors that make you think while you are reading. In-depth character development is also important. Right now, I am looking for a good sci-fi series, one where you can't wait to read the next book.

I must say 'The War Against The Chtorr' by David Gerrold only because I have enjoyed it so much.

The only part you may not like is the fact that the first 4 books in the series are currently out of print. I got the first 3 books in a 3 in 1 from sfbc. I still have not read the 4th but I will buy it as soon as I come across a copy.
the good news is that David is working of the rest of the series and when they are published the whole series will go back into print.
I have referenced David Gerrold and The War Against The Chtorr on CoolSciFi before.

http://www.coolscifi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3194&highlight=david+gerrold

Here is the author's site
Gerrold

and here is the series homepage
金沙棋牌下载地址-欢迎莅临

There is sample chapters for each of the books including the new ones so you can get a feel for the writing style

I really like this series!
Check it out and let me know what ya think - good or bad it makes no difference to me- I didn't write it.

Kimberly:

Try Gene Wolfe's Torturer series. Its slow going at first, but keep at and eventually you won't want it to stop! The first book is called "Shadow of the Torturer". I believe SFBC may sell it as an all-in-one book.;)

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I will look into all of them. I am going to start with the Hope series recommended by Mr. Destructo, as that was the first reply.

I haven't read it but Mr. Destructo wouldn't steer ya wrong. He does a lot of reading. It's his favorite y'know.

He steered me into an interesting direction that I am still exploring. Enjoy the Hope Series and come back and do a little review. No spoilers tho, I still gotta read it.

Feintuch, David (USA, -)

ooer, as he points out himself, his own fiction idols were dropping dead on him, now his own health isn't really the best for longevity.

i always assumed all four books were written before publication. interesting to find out that he carried on writing the first four before even getting a deal on the first one. then another three books came out and i'm sat here waiting to see if he writes another. this interview is very old, i'm going to have to find out what his future projects are.

the Hope series is character driven, in some ways it's not "out there" scifi, just a brilliant series following and catching up on characters throught decades. the deaths of some of the characters are done so well that they almost make you cry (i'm not admitting anything in public, the only person i will ever admit to in person is the author himself!)

the heart of the work is the love of scifi and the knowledge that "i can do this". when your work is on the shelves next to your favourite authors you are immortalised, even if everyone wants to live forever!!!

Mr Destructo said:
ooer, as he points out himself, his own fiction idols were dropping dead on him, now his own health isn't really the best for longevity.

i always assumed all four books were written before publication. interesting to find out that he carried on writing the first four before even getting a deal on the first one. then another three books came out and i'm sat here waiting to see if he writes another. this interview is very old, i'm going to have to find out what his future projects are.

the Hope series is character driven, in some ways it's not "out there" scifi, just a brilliant series following and catching up on characters throught decades. the deaths of some of the characters are done so well that they almost make you cry (i'm not admitting anything in public, the only person i will ever admit to in person is the author himself!)

the heart of the work is the love of scifi and the knowledge that "i can do this". when your work is on the shelves next to your favourite authors you are immortalised, even if everyone wants to live forever!!!

Who are you talking about? David :ufo:

Has anyone here read “The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh” series, a Star Trek book called “I.Q.” or any of the I.K.S. Gorkon series? I read two of the last series: “A Good Day to Die” and “Honor Bound” by Keith R.A. DeCandido. What about “Lost Boys" by Orson Scott Card? Those are among the books that I read last summer. They were all interesting books in there own way. “Lost Boys” was a very sad horror story. It was something totally different from what Card usually writes. Anyhow, take care everyone. Adios

:ufo:

Hello,
I am a new forum member and I love all the advice and help. I am always looking for new books to read. I would like to suggest a new author Mark T. Smith. He has written a very good book titled, Birth of Darkness. Which is the first in a three part series. I am on the edge of my seat waiting for the next book. The charachters are very good and the plot keeps you intrigued from the beginning. It almost qualifies as a mystery book. The only snag is that after it was recommended to me by a friend, I had trouble finding it. I finally got it from the publisher, Amber Dragon. I would definetly recommend this book to anyone interested in the SciFi genre.

maryUSA, welcome to Cool SciFi! :welcome:

For the Mart T. Smith you ended up ordering it directly from the publisher then or did they refer you to a retail presence to order it from?

Mark T Smith Book

Hi Kevin,
Thank you for the Welcome. Yes I did end up ordering direct from the publisher but I have since learned (yesterday actually) that it can be ordered from Amazon.co.uk as well.
I love love reading books by new authors. Have you or any one else any suggestions on a really good one?

Thanks,
Mary

maryUSA said:
I love love reading books by new authors. Have you or any one else any suggestions on a really good one?
I'm very sad to say that because of some ongoing projects I haven't had a chance to read anything new latey other than tech' manuals. :( But thanks to several of the folks here I've been lining up my planned summer reading list.

if you have kids, make sure they get good reading matter as and when they are ready

The Chronicles of Narnia Boxed Set: Amazon.co.uk: Lewis, C. S., Baynes, Pauline, Nielsen, Cliff: 9780007116768: Books

0007116764.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

found this set in a charity shop, £3.50 and my kids get all 7 books to educate themselves with. if they can read harry potter, they can certainly read these (in fact they could possible read these at an earlier age, the format is simpler)

data on the film release this year can be found here :

IMDb: Ratings, Reviews, and Where to Watch the Best Movies & TV Shows

Narnia was one of my absolute favorite reads as a kid. A live action movie based on The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe is coming out this year. Don't know if I'll catch it at the theaters but it'll be on DVD list for sure.

Wonderful Books

The Chronicles of Narnia are wonderful. This set is the first I bought when I had children. Even my 86 year old Grandmother loved these books! But she loves everything C.S. Lewis wrote. I have already read several chapters to my children and they seem enthralled. I think these books are even better read aloud. Wonderful recommendation!

Back