Bookcases

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim

Creative Writer
story of our lives!

you can never buy a bookcase to fit exactly the space you want it to fit, or at least not affordable!

well, i didn't go to college to train as a joiner for a year for nothing. i learnt how to deal with wood, to measure, design, cut and join it (well, i got as far as doors and windows, not furniture. but hey! it's only a bookcase!)

i decided to put it off until i had enough books to at least not make a new bookcase look lonely and i think it's about time! time to draw up that plan for a couple of interesting corners in my corridor between rooms and build in some bookcases that can hold my books respectably and have room for rapid expansion of my collection.

and this is just the books that have nowhere to sit tidily right now (85% approx are scifi)

leftoverbooks039dm.jpg

leftoverbooks043un.jpg

Yeah, I think you need a few bookcases! :P

Right now I'm "in-between" bookcases. I just got married a few months ago so most of my collection is still packed up in boxes in the garage and my heavy-duty bookcase is still at my old place.

That corner you have them now would be perfect a tall but narrow L-shaped bookcase so it'd fit into that existing spot.

I just got a book case after having books all across my bedroom and out in the den, everywhere... i'm the proud owner of a new $45 8ft tallk bookcase from Wal-Mart and although it broke 4-5 times during setup, i still managed to make it work and its holding all the books I have now.

(insert celebreation here).

I feel like I'm talking about a new car here, but the book case is amazing (now that i have a place to share this at). ;)

Erik_ said:
I just got a book case after having books all across my bedroom and out in the den, everywhere... i'm the proud owner of a new $45 8ft tallk bookcase from Wal-Mart and although it broke 4-5 times during setup, i still managed to make it work and its holding all the books I have now.

(insert celebreation here).

I feel like I'm talking about a new car here, but the book case is amazing (now that i have a place to share this at). ;)
I can relate to the joy of getting something built from a retail store.... a few years ago my sister & I assembled a TV armoire for our Mom from Ikea and it drove us nuts because the holes for connecting the very top piece were not pre-drilled like they were supposed to be so we had to do it ourselves. Well, after everything is put together and we put the TV & all in we noticed something.... we had the top piece upside down! :P

So is the new bookcase from Wal-Mart heavy duty enough to support a large collection? One of the problems that I'm constantly having with most bookcases lately is that the ones that use fiber-board end up bowing in the middle of the shelf from the weight.

it's pretty strong for all the books i put on there. It's definatley the cheap version from wally world, but well worth the money. It's about 3-4 feet in width and 8-9ft tall. Cheap, but the other book cases were definatley up in the 100s, and probably worth every penny, but not for me.

Well, yes, books usually tend to capture all free space around you. That's why i prefer to take them from my friends' bookcases :smiley: though now i think i'm close to solve the problem: i get all the books i don't need anymore to one of my friends's office. :smiley:

Sorry if my English or spelling is sometimes not correct - it's not my mothertongue

Elvit, your English is fine. :smiley:

I agree, borrowing books from friends, and lending them to friends as well, is good solution to the problem. I much prefer passing books on to family & friends when I am done with them rather than letting them sit on a shelf.

yeah, that relies on you having family and friends that read scifi!!!!

i just don't know enough people into the genre that actually read novels and those i do know are across the other side of the globe!

in fact, i am going to revise that.

i just don't know enough people who can actually read novels, that are into the genre and.....blahblahblah

Mr. DDestructo,
hmmm... yes it was the the problem. That was why I turned to the Internet and looked for sci-fi forums. I was fortunate to find one and it appeared that a number of people visiting it live in my city. Since then we meet once or twice a month and change our books ))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back