Books turned movie.

I almost always prefer the book to the movie.
And I hate seeing the film first, because instead of creating in my head, I'm remebering pictures from the film while I read.
I guess cause it's such a small amount of people who make the decsions in a film, it's rarely personal..., e.g. if I say something like this:
The man who ran the shop was old and little, his hair was past grey, and he looked as breakable and frail as the small hand-painted porcelain items he kept on the desk near the till. The window on one side was leaded, with panes of antique hand-rolled glass: it had once been an inn. When the man had bought the shop, many,many years ago, he had only the money to replace half of the shops windows, and in had stayed that way ever since. The small panes of glass on the old half of the window reflected the small puddles between the cobbles in the road in a rather haphazard way, whereas in the large, flat, mass-produced pane, a mirror image was produced. The old man was, for the 14th time that week, polishing a small brass pocket watch.He looked up to the clock, which he had placed up above the door. His eyes ‘read’ the wall, from top to bottom. At the very top was a dry spiders web, woven long ago. Further down was his clock, acquired from a railway station, the man had painted it pillar-box red himself. Scanning further down was the shop’s name and details, delicately stencilled on with gold ink, but reversed, as to allow prospective customers to read it from outside. Not that it mattered anyway, the old man thought. He put down the mirror, got up, and began pottering around his shop, neatening each little item as he went.
Although it's quite descriptive anyway, everyone will 'see' it in a different way; they'll all see a different brass watch, they'll all see slightly different shades of gold and pillar-box red. So then seeing that in real moving pictures; seeing what someone else 'saw' recreated will somewhat shatter whatever image you had...well that's how it works for me anyway.

Jai

Yeah, and I'll probably check it out. I heard "Tuesdays with Morrie" was nicely done when it was turned into a movie. And though I detest books-turned-movie, I'm willing to give it a chance.
I actually had a conversation about this the other day with someone. We were talking about books we had read and the movies they were made into and how they just didn't compare. In fact, the topic that started it was The Stepford Wives, and the conversation went from there.
People say I'm notorious for saying those four little words - the book was better. ;)

Webmistress Eh? said:
Apparently "Five People You Meet In Heaven" was turned into a tv movie. Tv too now, huh?
[post="1096563"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

ya i started to wach it but it was wierd... but i never read the book

I liked Forrest Gump the movie better than the book. Gone With the Wind I love both, same with Rebecca. Pride and Prejudice is my fave book ever, so no movie can beat it for me, but the 1995 miniseries came close.

I almost always like the book better than the movies. The only time I just can think of I like the movie better is LOTR, but in my opinion the books about Bridget Jones are much better than the movies

i like both but i hate how some movies change things like harry potter
i also think that when you read a book, you have an image of what the place describe looks like, the characters, everything
and then the movie kind of wrecks that?

i'd say i prefer the book

i'm reading the bourne supremacy at the moment....and it is completely different to the movie. although the movie was good, the book absolutely craps on it!

the books are always going to be better than the movies but that doesn't mean that the movies suck its just the tiny details that could have been improved are annoying though

Most of the time, the book is better than the movie. But some good books turned in very good movies like Lord of the Rings and Interview with a vampire.

I remember when the LOTR movies first came out and I had many long discussions with my friends over whether the books or movies were better.

During that time I realised that comparing a book and a movie was essentially pointless because the movie was someone else's interpretation of that book.

I think you have to keep in mind that everyone reads a book and comes out with a different interpretation. Movies like LOTR, Harry Potter, Bourne Identity etc are all just someone else's interpretation.

Sure if you don't like the movie cos its pure felgercarb script/acting/othercinematicterm-wise that's fine, but complaining just because it isn't word for word like the book is kinda pointless --a lot of the time material is too complicated for the average movie-goer to understand (cos they're too stupid to understand the book) or time doesn't permit the intricacies of the plot to be fully explored and sometimes the director of the film wants to movie to stand alone so its 'based' on the book but not an exact representation.

And saying that watching the movie ruined your own vision of what characters or places looked like, well I'm gonna be mean and say that your vision mustn't have been very strong in the first place cos I've never had that problem.

So, in conclusion to that long-winded rant I say this: I'll read the book and watch the movie but I'll try and refrain from comparing the two. One is a book, one is a movie and they'll always be different.

jim.

p.s. That's only my opinion so if you don't agree that's fine with me too ^_^

The only books turned movie that I like are Nicholas Sparks books. They are pretty good. I didn't like how The Princess Diaries was all Disneyized. I loved the books, but the movie just didn't cut it.

Is anyone else really worried about GoF movie? I mean that book is huge and they are going to put it all in one movie. There is so much stuff going to be left out and... it practically broke my heart that they left out the Mauraders in PoA and they NEVER put in any of Harry's dreams! Which sometimes are BIG parts. GoF starts off in Harry's dream/sort of... are they going to cut that too?

I general preffer the book to the movie simply beacuse the cut out so much of books when they turn them to movies ... you loose half the story line and ur let thinking WTF??? a perfict example of this is 'A Girl with a Pearl Earing' the start the movie part way through the book and then they miss the last half of the book .... very anoying!

Well sometimes u don't even know they r a book before a movie. Harry Potter, obvioulsy u know taht thatisi a book first but I never knew that Catch Me If You Can was a book. As long as they don't change the storyline up a lot I like both!

~Andrea

undercover_spy said:
Well sometimes u don't even know they r a book before a movie. Harry Potter, obvioulsy u know taht thatisi a book first but I never knew that Catch Me If You Can was a book. As long as they don't change the storyline up a lot I like both!

~Andrea
[post="1390898"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I actually didin't know Harry Potter was a book..hehe..how sad is that?

xinli11 said:
I actually didin't know Harry Potter was a book..hehe..how sad is that?
[post="1391026"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
really? that is crz!!! where do u live?i mean the book was a big mania b4 it turnes into a movie!
i love books much more than movies, cuz w/ books u feel like you are the only one reading it and you can imagine them however u want 2 and the charcter sort of belong 2 u! i never feel like that in a movie!do u know what i mean?
harry potter was a good example for what im saying!

Back