Books turned movie.

i usually prefer books, because they let so much out when they make movies, the whole storyline isn't actually there. a good example is harry potter, where they left the marodeur map out and so on...i actually hope they don't make the 4th one into a movie. the book is really huge and great and long and i could never see how they could make that a GOOD movie. have you guys realized what a small part neville longbottom has in the movies? he has a much bigger part in the books. i hate how important things are left out, especially like in this case, as most of you know, neville turns out to be a quite important character later on in the books.
i think reading a book is like building a little bubble around you. like a little world of your own, you can decide yourself kinda what the people look like, what the places look like. by reading the book you can imagine what it looks like. then when you see the movie, it's like seing another person's bubble, another person's world, and your own gets ruined, at least a little bit. things look different than you're "used to", it's someone else's picture of the same book. do you understand what i mean?
that's why i usually prefer books. they leave a little to your own imagination. watching the movie is like seing it through someone else's eyes. but there are of course exceptions to this, i know many books that are great both as books and as movies, and i know movies that are better than the books and vice versa. :smiley:

meg_loves_Alias said:
Is anyone else really worried about GoF movie? I mean that book is huge and they are going to put it all in one movie. There is so much stuff going to be left out and... it practically broke my heart that they left out the Mauraders in PoA and they NEVER put in any of Harry's dreams! Which sometimes are BIG parts. GoF starts off in Harry's dream/sort of... are they going to cut that too?
[post="1279985"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
YEah as much as I'm looking forward to seeing it, I know that I'll be miss complain-a-lot once I see it. I loved PoA, but parts, ie the END, sucked and some things they leave out are necessary, ie they are leaving out SPEW in GoF.
Generally Books over movies b/c I have a specific idea of things then I see it and get mad that they didn't use my idea.... :rolleyes: :magician: :sigh:

for me it all depends cause in a series of unfortunate events they changed everything and it was so different and i didnt like it at all, but lotr was really really good so it all depends how they change it and what they leave out and what they add i have yet to see a book turned movie that is exactly like the books

mrs.marshal030791 said:
for me it all depends cause in a series of unfortunate events they changed everything and it was so different and i didnt like it at all, but lotr was really really good so it all depends how they change it and what they leave out and what they add i have yet to see a book turned movie that is exactly like the books
[post="1411212"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

and you never will find a movie that is exactly the same as the book. Remember movies are a completely different medium than books. IN books, a lot of exposition focuses on what a character is thinking, or you could have long snippets of dialog between characters that gives detailed back stories. All of those elements must be adapted in different ways when transferred into a movie. Long dialog scenes, for example, tends to slow down the pace of the movie and could risk losing viewer interest. And of course showing the thoughts of the actors is just plain impossible in a movie.

Xin Li

I liked Forest Gump the movie better than the book.

But really, it's best not to compare the two different mediums. Just accept that it's the same story told different ways.

From my experience, the books are better for the most part. Harry Potter, A Series of Unfortunate Events, and The Color Purple for example are better as books, but The Notebook was a better movie I thought.

Back