Boyfriends and birthdays

Okay... this is random, but I really wanted some opinions on my situation.

Yesterday was my 21st birthday. Now before I begin my story, I must tell you all that I have a history of HORRIBLE birthdays. In fact, I cannot recall a single year when something bad didn't happen. Car accident, being hit by a car (and yup, those are two different years), friends fighting, parents forgetting etc etc. This year was no different:

I live in Southern Ontario - I'm here for school. My family is back home in Vancouver. First, my mom forgot to send my card/gifty until yesterday, so it won't be here until next week. My aunt and uncle and more than half of my close friends, forgot entirely. I tried not to let this bug me because my boyfriend had promised me a great night out.... I was looking forward to it all day. Anyway, he left for school in the morning and didn't come back until around 5 (which was 2 hours later than he said he would be gone). We went to a very nice restaurant and had supper. In the middle of dinner, he turns to me and says, "just so you're not in suspense, your gift won't be ready until Saturday." My boyfriend (whom I love to death) has a long history of doing things late, or half assed, or never... so I wasn't at all surprised to hear this. I figured, "well, at least he has started something." Anywhoo, the rest of the evening went off without much of a hitch.

Then this morning, he tells me that he won't be home until after dinner because he needs to go out to shop for my birthday present. I kinda flipped out at him and told him not to bother. :angry: He stormed off. I was angry because he had told me that he had started something and it just wasn't ready yet. It really hurt my feelings because it seems like he just didn't care enough to spend the time planning/organizing so that he could have something for me on my birthday. :( I feel like I've always put time and effort into his birthdays (we've been together for 3 years, so that's 3 birthdays); I've never been late, or forgotten. Last year, I surpised him with a party and a PS2. He loved it! :smiley:

Anyway... the point of my rant is this: was I right to be angry with him? I tend to be a little greedy, and I want to make sure that I'm not being shallow. It really is about the effort, and I don't feel like there was any. So, what do you guys think????

i don't think you overreacted at all. i would've been pissed too if i had been led to believe that he had at least thought about my gift at the time. and it also sucks because it seems as if you're the one giving more (a PS2?! dang!) than he is.

and i'm sorry about all those horrible birthdays. :( getting hit by a car?? goodness... :blink:

the only really bad birthday i've ever had was when i woke up on the morning of my birthday incredibly sick and couldn't get out of bed all day. and i've never really had the problem of people forgetting since it's a little difficult to forget my birthday (it's on christmas). ;)

On Christmas?! That's brutal in its own right. I'll bet you get tons of birthday/christams presents! :(
And as for the car thing... yea, when I turned 10, I was hit by a car on my way home from school. I spent my birthday, and several days thereafter, in the hospital.

Anywhoo... in an update: my boyfriend came home from school very very angry with me. He bought me a school sweatshirt on his way home (because that meant he didn't have to go anywhere to get it), dropped the bag at my feet, said nothing, and walked off. I hate how men fight!!!!! :angry: They act like such children! It drives me nuts! :banghead: I hate birthdays. :(

a school sweatshirt?! that's IT?? geez. you got him a ps2 and he got you a sweatshirt??

okay, he HAS to realize there's something wrong there and that HE'S the one in the wrong. first of all, that was a really bad gift and second, that was awfully childish of him just to drop the bag at your feet and leave.

i'm sorry, i guess you guys just need to cool off a bit then go talk. i don't know what else to say. :(

and i've learned to live with my christmas birthday. the only thing that really sucks about it is that i can't spend my ACTUAL birthday with friends since they're out spending christmas with their families. so i always have to celebrate my birthday earlier than it actually is. but i've just gotten used to it. and the double gifts thing...well, i've just gotten used to that too. :rolleyes:

3 years, huh? and seems like your boyfriend likes to do things "late"... but that means 3 of your birthdays, 3 of his birthdays and a whole lot of other times together. I can understand why you're upset. Your birthdays in the past could have been a leeeeeettle better. so, what i'm saying is, no, you're not over-reacting. He should know better. He knows about your birthday history and he's been a long time boyfriend of yours.

you have every right to be angry at your boyfriend, i would be if my boyfriend did that to me but that's just me anyways it's okay i wouldn't worry about it that much because like most couples we have our occaisional fights and usually make up afterwards anyway.

well first off happy birthday!! i turn 21 in less then a month!! um yeah i would have been alittle pissed at him too!! i hope everything turns out ok! maybe you just need alittle time apart or something!! i dont know i dont have a boy freind so cant really help you and im terrible at relationships period!!

Thanks for replying, everyone. :smiley: We have everything all sorted out now. Apparently, he already has something for me, but he had to special order it and it hasn't come it yet (the person from the store said it would be in by yesterday, but it wasn't). He bought me the sweatshirt because he knew I was angry and wanted to appease me until the real thing came in.

The thing that bugs me about the whole situation is that he NEVER said that the item hadn't come in. He just told me that he had to shop for it. Anyway, I'll wait until I get whatever-it-is, and then update you guys again!

Thanks so much!!! : :P

im sorry that you always have bad birthdays. dont feel bad...one year, my friend was supposed to decorate my locker and all and she didnt show that day. then no one even told me that they were going to do that and alot of people forgot. oh well.

Yea, it's perfectly normal for you to be mad at him. guys can be such children at times. 👎 I'm sorry your Birthday tuned out so badly. I hope you have better in the future. :snorkel:

once on my birthday.. my friend came over, and i was still asleep, and my mom let her go wake me up.. and she decided that i would look pretty with shorter hair.. so she cut my bangs all zig-zag.. omg and when i woke up and looked in the mirror.. oh gosh... it was not good.. (that was when i was 6 yrs old) oh and once on my 8th b-day... i made these really good cookies.. and i put them in the fridge.. and i went upstairs.. and i came back down, and my cousins had eaten them all before i had even gotten to take one bite.. oy.. haha

Back