Drama Bridge of Spies (2015)

Tom

An Old Friend
MV5BMjIxOTI0MjU5NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzM4OTk4NTE@._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg

PG-13 | 142 min | Biography, Drama, Thriller | 16 October 2015 (USA)
Bridge of Spies (2015) - IMDb

In the cold war, a lawyer, James B. Donovan recruited by the CIA and involved in an intense negotiation mission to release and exchange a CIA U-2 spy-plane pilot, Francis G. Powers that was arrested alive after his plane was shot down by the Soviet Union during a mission- with a KGB intelligence officer, Rudolf Abel who was arrested for espionage in the US.

Director:
Steven Spielberg
Writers:
Matt Charman, Ethan Coen
Stars:
Tom Hanks, Mark Rylance, Alan Alda

This is another outstanding film starring Tom Hanks. I was happy to see Alan Alda as well. This is not an action type spy movie. It is a look at morality and doubletalk. Tom Hanks just gets better and better with age. Yes, put this one on your watchlist, its drama but its really good drama.

this is one of the few recent movies I'd like to watch.
looks like a lot of smoking, which is a turnoff for me.

this is one of the few recent movies I'd like to watch.
Yep, same for me. When it's available for DVD/streaming I'll add it to the queue. When it was first released it didn't really catch me attention but the more snippets I see from it then the more I'm getting interested.

I watched it in the theater, just before it ended its first run...I enjoyed it thoroughly. I don't think it probably would resonate with younger folks, who didn't have the historical background of having seen (and understood the significance of) the wall coming down. I also liked the themes they covered which could very easily be tied into society today. The only pitfall I saw was that it really seemed to drag on at times.