Horror Brightburn (2019)

Tom

An Old Friend
Title: Brightburn

Tagline: Evil has found its superhero

Genre: Horror, Thriller, Science Fiction

Director: David Yarovesky

Cast: Elizabeth Banks, David Denman, Jackson A. Dunn, Matt Jones, Meredith Hagner, Becky Wahlstrom, Emmie Hunter, Gregory Alan Williams, Annie Humphrey, Abraham Clinkscales, Christian Finlayson, Jennifer Holland, Terence Rosemore, Elizabeth Becka, Steve Agee, Stephen Blackehart, Mike Dunston, Michael Rooker

Release: 2019-05-09

Runtime: 91

Plot: What if a child from another world crash-landed on Earth, but instead of becoming a hero to mankind, he proved to be something far more sinister?
Brightburn (2019)

What if a child from another world crash-landed on Earth, but instead of becoming a hero to mankind, he proved to be something far more sinister?

CURRENT STATUS:
Post-Production
RELEASE DATE:
May 24, 2019 (Theaters)

CATEGORY:
STUDIO:
WRITER:
DIRECTOR:
OFFICIAL SITE:
Instagram
Twitter
Facebook

PROJECT DETAILS:
Producer James Gunn had this to say about the project: "..about a year ago my brother Brian, my cousin Mark, director David Yarovesky, producer Simon Hatt and I started coming up with an idea for a horror film that excited me in a way nothing outside of Guardians has in years - it was personal, and different, and perfectly suited for our times. And, yes, terrifying."
James Gunn produces via his Troll Court Entertainment banner.
Directed by David Yarovesky (The Hive).

It's a bit astounding for Gunn and anybody else behind this to maintain that a 'evil Superman' story is an original idea but, putting that aside, Brightburn works as a horror movie. The ending was actually pretty good because along the way of getting there it seems like the movie would end in a pretty predictable fashion, instead it sets up the potential for a sequel and with a mid-credits scene setting up a bit of universe building for future related stories.