Drama Brokeback Mountain

ky02121

Cadet
Hollywood has been rehashing the same plots and storylines. There's rarely anything original out there. A film like Brokeback Mountain has never been done before. Out of all the releases this year this is the one that I'm anticipating the most. I can truly say I don't know what to expect. :smiley:

I've been waiting patiently for this. I really want to see it. It should be an awesome movie. It's supposed to be about two homosexual cowboys who are in love or something like that. it sounds interesting.

I was reading about this in Entertainment Weekly and am now really excited about it. Then I saw a preview on Entertainment Tonight and am even more excited. I mean of course I am a hopeless romantic, but this is just so original. And it's not even a complete indie movie or anything. It's Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger. It should be good. :woot:

Haha! Take that straight men! There will be no girl-on-girl action in this flick! lol I can't wait to see this one especially now with all the opposition towards gays and gay marriage. I wonder how many theatres will refuse to show this flick on their screens.

All I can hope for is not to have to drive to the Indie Film theater near me because the closest one is a half hour away. I hope that they'll do a wide release once it opens big.

I cannot wait! It is supposed to be absolutely amazing, and it definitely looks like it will be.

All I've been hearing is very positive buzz from many, so I hope people can look past their intolerance and go see what should be a very beautiful story.

I cannot wait! It is supposed to be absolutely amazing, and it definitely looks like it will be.

All I've been hearing is very positive buzz from many, so I hope people can look past their intolerance and go see what should be a very beautiful story.

That's the problem though. Not that many people are gonna look past the whole "gay" aspect. :(

Aw well, there's always Oscars to win! lol

That's the problem though. Not that many people are gonna look past the whole "gay" aspect. :(

Aw well, there's always Oscars to win! lol
Well, Tretn from Trent is the new blog is gay and he said what many others have...that once you start to get into the film it's much more than a "gay cowboy" flick, it's an old fashioned love story. Although lol some straight men are claiming that the couple are just friends who happen to sleep with one another..no, it's a love story about two men, get over it! lol It's deeper than a physical attraction, it's emotional and spiritual.

Well, Tretn from Trent is the new blog is gay and he said what many others have...that once you start to get into the film it's much more than a "gay cowboy" flick, it's an old fashioned love story. Although lol some straight men are claiming that the couple are just friends who happen to sleep with one another..no, it's a love story about two men, get over it! lol It's deeper than a physical attraction, it's emotional and spiritual.

Exactly.

I also read an article in Newsweek about the movie. Ang Lee as well as the producers of the movie really don't care how much it grosses, they realize that it won't appeal to the masses because of it's subject matter, but they hope that it really touches the people who do go see it. That being said Ang Lee was in an interview session with a bunch of reporters/bloggers. One blogger raised his hand and said that he didn't have a question but he wanted to apologize. He said that for the past year he had been bashing the movie and the subject matter but after watching it he had realized that it was so much more.

I just hope people will give it a chance like he did, they may be very surprised.

heath_ledger1.jpg

An epic love story, set against the sweeping landscapes of Wyoming and Texas, that tells the story of two young men--a ranch-hand and a rodeo cowboy--who meet in the summer of 1963 while driving cattle on a mountain range. They unexpectedly forge a lifelong connection, one whose complications, joys and tragedies provide a testament to the endurance and power of love.

Production Status: In Production/Awaiting Release

Genres: Drama, Romance and Western

Running Time: 2 hrs. 14 min.

Release Date: December 9th, 2005 (NY/LA/SF)

MPAA Rating: R for sexuality, nudity, language and some violence.

Production Co.: Focus Features, River Road Entertainment

Studios: Universal Pictures

Filming Locations: Calgary, Canada

Produced in: United States

Whatever people might say about the movie and its subject matter, this movie is gonna kick many asses out once it is released for all to see ... :woot: :woot: :woot:

I love the fact that this movie is getting Oscar buzz, even Best Picture Oscar buzz. The Academy will realize that it's more than a gay cowboy movie, but a love story. I don't just want to see it because it's a movie that is on a controversial concept, but because it's a love story. It looks so good. It better play someone near me, I don't know how I'm going to get to see it though. I don't drive and my boyfriend has... rather opposite political views on this. I'll get my friend, Jessica to go with me (who also watches Alias). I can't wait!

First Person: Marcus Hu on "Brokeback Mountain"
Sunday December 4 7:00 PM ET
by Marcus Hu (December 2, 2005)

In 1997 when I read Annie Proulx's short story, "Brokeback Mountain" in the New Yorker, I sat in bed stunned. I had never read such an intensely literate love story that packed such an emotional punch. I re-read the piece at least three times in a row and couldn't believe the New Yorker had the courage to publish such an honest tale of two men who accidentally fall in love.

Not so much a "gay western" as its been easily branded, "Brokeback Mountain" is really a romantic and tender love story between two working class men set against a picturesque American landscape.

In 1998, an agent friend who knew what a fan I was of the short story slipped me a draft of Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana's adaptation of the short story. The short story had been expanded to a slim, but substantial 98 page script. I read the script and was amazed at the adaptation. The script was as faithful and true to Ms. Proulx's prose and what had been fleshed out provides true fidelity to those characters. Having read that script, I thought it would be perfect fodder for Gus Van Sant, who was then rumored to be attached. Reading that draft made me wonder, who would have the balls to actually finance it.

Needless to say, the script sat for many years in development limbo, announcements had been made that Joel Schumacher was going to direct it, and like many other projects like "The Frontrunner" or "The Dreyfuss Affair", I assumed that it would forever flounder.

One day in 2002, I read a trade announcement that James Schamus and Ang Lee were going to make "Brokeback Mountain" into a film, and my heart leapt! I immediately called James, a longtime colleague and friend, to congratulate him and begged him to let me know all the developments with it. I followed along as rumors flowed from the gay underground that they had obliterated the work and "straightend it" to suit the masses, that Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal had absolutely no heat or passion whatsoever, and shied away from any of the sex scenes. Even when I prodded James for answers, he just played his hand with a poker face.

Finally, when "Brokeback Mountain" screened in Toronto this year, it was a dream come true. What I saw unfold on screen was Lee's perfectly realized version of Ms. Proulx's story and Mr. McMurtry and Ms. Ossana's adaptation. With visual nods to Andrew Wyeth and Edward Hopper they created a uniquely gay American love story like no other. Beginning in 1963, this is the story of two men who have no idea of how to pronounce the name of their love, other than "queer" well before the term had irony. Amazingly, Mr. Ledger and Mr. Gyllenhaal convincingly have a romantic chemistry that hasn't been seen on screen in any straight or gay film in recent memory.

While Ledger and Gyllenhaal are certainly easy on the eyes, Proulx's description indicated a much more ordinary couple, amazingly these actors never seem apprehensive, they seem as comfortable in their roles as if they had lived those lives. What's remarkable for me as a gay viewer, is that it feels so fresh I feel like I am seeing a complex, realistic romantic gay love story for the first time. A story long before AIDS, one where we're not the sassy best friend, the crazed murderer, the victim or a teenager coming of age. Its pretty much a simple intimate love story that has an elegance of just being a tale well told.

This team of filmmakers has crafted a film that reminds why I am proud to be in this profession. Everything that I have worked for in this business is epitomized in this film, and, hopefully, "Brokeback Mountain" will find an appreciative audience in middle America.

I really have to applaud Focus Features for having the courage to take such a gamble on this movie. Even for a specialty division of a studio to get behind such a daring film, it defines them as an organization that understands the term, "independent spirit." If the film succeeds commercially, it will hopefully raise the bar for gay cinema and prove that there is an audience to support it. If anything, the film has already garnered some of the highest praise from critics as well as having won the top prize in Venice to validate it.

Personally, even after four viewings, I still get a lump in my throat by the film's conclusion. While the "New Queer Cinema" has produced some substantial GLBT films, this film just feels like an intelligent, smart piece of cinema that happens to have at its core a gay love story.

When "Brokeback Mountain" opens this Friday, the sad and beautiful love story of Ennis del Mar and Jack Twist will forever be an indelible part of our American folklore, their romance will be a part of an iconography that is every bit as weighty as Romeo and Juliet.

[Marcus Hu is Co-President of Strand Releasing and on the Board of FIND, Film Independent as well as the Advisory Board for Frameline, the San Francisco International LGBT film festival.]

That is a great review. It makes me more and more excited about it. What really made my heart leap was earlier tonight when I was listening to Ebert and Roeper's review of the movie. They absolutely loved it and Roeper said that people need to look past the homosexuality and just "get over it". That's what people need to do, since this movie truly looks powerful and beautiful.

yeah, I know ... everybody is like saying "two gay men falling in love" ... get over it ... its a beautiful movie ... done brilliantly ... just watch it and enjoy it ... ;)

I'm mad. It is nowhere near me :angry: In fact I don't think it's even in my state. I was hoping to go see it tonight too -_-

I will see it in theaters as soon as it's humanly possible!

Know how u feel ... I dont think it will ever come to Aruba, so I can see it ... maybe after the Oscars when it comes out on DVD :angry:

'Brokeback' Is A Heartbreaker

By John Hartl, Film Critic, MSNBC

Our rating: ****

When Annie Proulx's short story, "Brokeback Mountain," appeared nearly a decade ago in The New Yorker, it was instantly recognized as a heartbreaking masterpiece — and the work of one person.

Now it's a movie, the work of several artists working at the peak of their powers, yet it retains the singular quality of Proulx's slender story. The script by Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana expands Proulx's 30 pages to a 134-minute film, yet there is no fat, thanks in great part to Ang Lee's brilliantly austere direction.

The cast is flawless, beginning with Heath Ledger's near-miraculous performance as Ennis Del Mar, a laconic ranch hand who ages two decades as he wrestles with his passionate attachment to another man, Jack Twist (Jake Gyllenhaal). Neither actor has previously been asked to take the risks they take here. While Gyllenhaal has always seemed game enough, and he's wonderfully tender in a difficult role, Ledger turns out to be the revelation.

Nothing in his earlier performances in a series of high-profile films ("The Four Feathers," "Monster's Ball") has suggested the imagination and depth of commitment he brings to "Brokeback Mountain." Ennis is rigid, monumentally repressed, almost comically spare with words, and his rare expressions of opinion are mostly mumbled in a muted voice.

Ledger embraces the anti-social nature of the man while demonstrating that actions always speak louder than words with Ennis. He may claim that his relationship with Jack is an isolated event, an interruption in his plan to marry and raise a family, but his true feelings come to the surface when he breaks down the moment he's separated from Jack for the first time.

Michelle Williams is excellent as Ennis' frustrated, initially clueless wife, Alma. Anne Hathaway adds welcome nuances to the potentially one-note role of Jack's wife, Lureen, whose lusty pursuit of Jack gradually turns into middle-aged indifference.

Kate Mara is touching as Ennis'grown-up daughter, Alma Jr., who works even harder than her mother to get past Ennis' macho cowboy exterior.

They help to make this story as much of a tragedy for the women involved as it is for the men. The wives and kids are helpless; it hardly matters if they know or suspect what's happened to their families. Jack and Ennis, who begin their affair as teenagers in 1963, are just as trapped by the restrictions of the period. Ennis, who is traumatized by childhood memories of a homophobic murder, is simply unable to consider Jack's offer of a life together.

"Brokeback Mountain" carries echoes of "The Wedding Banquet," its director's previous tale of two men hiding their love, as well as McMurtry's "The Last Picture Show," which dealt with two close friends who lose their only father figure. (One member of the "Picture Show" cast, Randy Quaid, turns up in a key role as the disapproving Wyoming trail boss who inadvertently brings Jack and Ennis together by hiring them.)

Yet in the end it's Proulx's vision that survives and drives every scene. What you take away from the story and the film is her intense focus on a forbidden hunger that will not be denied.