Broken - tragedy forces change

chookie

Cadet
Disclaimer: I don’t own anything Alias related nor do I know anyone connected with the show.

A/N: this is my first fanfic. It is sort of A/U.
Since I haven’t seen season 3, spoilers will only be up till the end of season 2.
The story starts after “counteragent”, but the Syd/Vaughn relationship progressed up to where it was in “phase 1” (just speeding things up). SD-6 still exist and there will be no evil Franchie. Hopefully things will get clearer as the story progresses.

Chapter 1 HourGlass

The lobby was busy, with people going about their business, except - without the noisiness that one would expect. But then this was Langley, the CIA Head Quarters, and in this line of work nothing is what you would expect.

Having just cleared security, Sydney made her way across the marble flooring and entered the half filled lift, pressed level 7 for Kendall’s office. There had been a message left for her to meet Kendall in his office. Right now, seeing Kendall was the last thing Sydney wanted to do.

Their first meeting was about a year ago, when she was being suspected as the subject of the Rambaldi Prophecy. He was unapologetically arrogant, unsympathetic and self assured. He asked questions that he had already had answers for and made comments that just fell short of accusing her of knowing all along that SD-6 was a branch of the Alliance – an enemy of the United States.

They met again when her mother Irina Derevko turned herself into the CIA. Even though this time they were working on the same side, it always felt like she had to prove herself loyal. He even had the nerve to tell her to talk to her mother, someone she thought had died over 20 years ago, who it turns out was a KGB agent sent to marry a CIA officer and steal intelligence, who executed a dozen CIA agents and someone who nearly killed her in Taipei.

They say first impressions count; hers was spot on for Kendall.

The lift bell chimed and the doors opened for her to step out. Kendall’s office was on the left, at the end of the hallway. The walls were painted institutional white, and the floor was carpeted grey.

As Sydney made her way down the hall, she saw that someone had just entered Kendall’s office and was closing the door behind them.

Kendall was standing behind his desk flipping through a file, he looked up from the file as she entered. “Good morning Agent Bristow,” he said, to which she gave no reply. He closed the file and tossed it on the desk. “Lets get started then” he said and seated himself behind his desk, gesturing her to seat herself as well. She complied and sat down facing him on the left.

“I’d like you to meet Agent Paul Gibbs” said Kendall, indicating to a man, she presumed was the person she saw entering just before her, sitting on her right. “he’s a missions planner and IT consultant.”

Agent Gibbs was in a dark blue suit, light blue shirt and no tie. He looked like he was in his mid thirties. He worn small frameless glasses, his short brown hair was uncombed and he sported a 5-day stubble.

Agent Gibbs didn’t offer a handshake, but just gave Sydney a polite nod and small “hi”, to which she similarly returned. Then they both turned their attentions back to Kendall.

“Paul here, will take over as your handler and th…” started Kendall before he was abruptly cut off.
“What?!” Sydney and Paul exclaimed together.
Kendall had expected this from both of them so he just sat there stony faced.

With her best efforts to contain the anger that was quickly rising within her, Sydney looked Kendall straight in the eye and said an even tone “I don’t need a handler”.
“and I don’t want to be a handler” interjected Paul, who was also trying to keep his emotions in check.

“Agent Bristow, I don’t need to remind you that essential to your role as a double agent in SD-6, you cannot let anything that happens here with the CIA affect your performance at SD-6,” said Kendall using his authoritative tone.

“No…I don’t need to be told how to do my job” came her reply.

“Look, I can understand how you’re feeling Agen…” began Kendall.

“No,” cutting him off, “you cannot possibility have any idea how I’m feeling”, swallowing hard Sydney pressed on, “Agent Vaughn died just a weeks ago, and I have to breathe the same air and sit quietly across the table from the man that’s responsible for his death,” “ so do me a favour and don’t tell me that you understand how I feel.”

“Well then let me tell you this, if you don’t accept a handler then you will be put into witness protection, effective immediately. I’m not about to let a grieving and vengeful agent go on SD-6 missions without counter-missions and support.” said Kendall. “witness protection won’t help you destroy SD-6 or get justice for Vaughn and Danny”

Sydney could hardly believe what she was hearing, he was using her guilt to blackmail her. She felt numb, a common state for her this past week, and sat there speechless.

Putting his hand up to stop Paul from interrupting, Kendall went on, “Paul, I chose you as Sydney’s handler because of, amongst other things, your expertise with the hourglass security system. You look tired, late nights?”

Kendall picked up the folder that he had been looking at before “here’s Bristow’s file”.

Ignoring the offered folder, Paul stood up and said with a blank expression “I’m sure that Agent Bristow will inform me of what she thinks I should know about her.”

Then turning to Sydney, he said “just leave the details of your mission with Julie down at Operations and I’ll contact you about your counter-mission”, and with that he left the room.

“Good luck,” offered Kendall, before Sydney also stood up and left for SD-6.

Going back to SD-6 this time was harder than after Danny’s death. This time she couldn’t even go to his funeral. This time she didn’t have 3 months to mourn before facing Sloane. This time she had shed no tears.

Only Dixon asked if something was wrong. She had dismissed his concern with something about having the flu.

Sloane stood at the head of the conference room and started his mission debrief, “Leading up to the year 2000, there was much talk and concern about the Y2K bug. Since all built in clocks for computers and electronic devices recorded the year only by the last 2 digits. There was a fear that when it clocked over from ‘99’ to ‘00’ there would be mass machine malfunction in homes, hospitals, our defence system etc. But 2000 came like any other year, with none of the dooms day predictions. This was only because the problem was corrected by all manufacturers and corporations, which depended on time on their computers to operate, well before we entered the new millennium.” He paused and pressed the remote, and a picture appeared on all the computer screens. “His name is, Christopher Nolin, he is the CEO of NovaTech. We have been informed that this company has just developed what they call ‘hourglass’, software that can produce what didn’t happen in 2000.” Walking over, Sloan handed Dixon and Sydney their operation materials, “So Sydney, you’ll be going as Rachael Whitman, a representative for a finance firm interested in investing. We need to get a copy of this software so we can develop a counter measure against it being used as a terrorist attack.”
“Marshall…” said Sloane, before sitting down.

“Hi, well how’s everyone today? Good? That’s Good…” stuttered Marshall as he fished something out of his pocket

TBC, so what do you think? should i continue?

This looks promising. Vaughn's dead? :thinking:
I think you should carry on and seriously, Vaughn's dead??
PM me when you update and your avatar is so cute! ^_^

Daniela

uh this is exciting...people reading. yah!!

Thanks Daniela and sexcivaughan14.

YES VAUGHN is DEAD!!!

no only joking ;)

this is Alias.... no one stays dead.

next chapter will be up soon, and should be longer.

id grealtly appreciate it if SOME characters stayed dead---LAUREN! sorry, just my venting about the season. its really good...i was just a wee bit confused at first! lol!

Yes i agree that Lauren should stay dead.

what were you confused about so that i can hopefully fix with the next chapter.

everytime i see your avartar i think of van helsing.... just add the hat. lol.

lol, no, im not confused anymore! at first i was! lol!...hehe, its funny, the first bunch of times i updated my fics it was for like 3readers...and now i have crazy long PM lists! lol!

Marshall finally got the thing out of his jacket, “This…” excitedly showing it to everyone, “…looks like a normal highlighter…something that you’d use to…to highlight some important date in your diary or…”

But instead, Marshall was holding up a diet energy bar, “…oops”. Turning red he shoved it quickly back into his pocket and got the highlighter that he had intended to talk about, and fumbled on with his explanation.

Usually, something like this would have made Sydney smile. Marshall was one of the sweetest guys that she knew, he was this quirky genius that came up with the most amazing and sometimes crazy gadgets for her to use on missions. But now, she just wanted him to quickly give her the things she needed, so she wouldn’t have to spend any more time in the presence of Sloane and Sark.

Vaughn, due to being exposed to the liquid inside the red Rambaldi ball in Taipei, had been infected with a deadly virus. Sydney had tried to get the antidote that would save him, but in her attempt she was caught by Sark, who in his usual charm, told her to deliver Sloane so that he could kill him, in exchange for the antidote.

As much as Sydney hated Sloane and wanted to take down SD-6, premeditating his murder was not a goal. There were so many issues with killing Sloane; the most obvious was how to kill him without exposing herself as a double agent. Secondly, through her father’s close relationship with Sloane, he was privy to highly classified intel on the inner workings of the Alliance, hence Sloane’s death would be a setback in the task of destroying SD-6 and the Alliance.

For Sydney, despite these moral and tactical problems, the choice was simple. She was willing to risk everything for Vaughn.

Love wasn’t blind.

It was irrational. It was cruel. It was all she had left and time had snatched it from her.

She had trusted a snake, and was rewarded a venomous bite in heart. Whilst her world drifted into darkness, Sark had, instead of killing Sloane, made a deal with him that strengthened the columns of SD-6.

All this drifted through Sydney’s mind as she left SD-6 after the meeting and made a dead drop into the Vietnam Vet’s offering cup, detailing her mission for her new handler Gibbs, to come up with a counter mission.

“Hey Syd, your back early from work,” greeted Francie, from the kitchen. There was a sweet aroma in the apartment, and Sydney could see Francie using a wooden spoon to protect whatever that she was cooking from Will’s sneaky fingers.

“Yeah, I’m just going to clean up, then pack for my trip to Vancouver,” said Sydney, as she set her keys down. “Isn’t the kitchen at your restaurant bigger than this one?”

“It is, but there’s a leak somewhere so it’s more like a swimming pool than a kitchen,” said Francie, turning away from the stove, but keeping a watchful eye on Will. “With the amount of travel you do girl, you should have enough flyer’s points to travel all around the world”.

“But the world is never as good as home,” replied Sydney quietly, before going to her bedroom to change.

“Does Sydney seem down to you lately?” Francie asked Will after she heard the bedroom door close, “She seems distant and quiet. Has she said anything to you?”

“Um, no, she’s probably just tired from work,” said Will, trying to ease Francie’s worry. He knew about what happened to Vaughn, and wanted to be there for Sydney, but she had emotionally shut down and asked to be left alone. He hadn’t even seen her cry this time. What do you say to someone who has lost so much?

Unconvinced, Francie asked, “Are you sure?”
“Yeah, what else could it be?” replied Will.
“Maybe it’s about that guy she told me she liked from work, maybe something happened,” suggested Francie.

You have no idea how right you are Francie, thought Will, but he just said “Nah, if there was something wrong she’d tell us,” and left the kitchen to avoid further discussion, taking a drink for Sydney with him.

Knocking, Will entered the bedroom and handed Sydney the drink, “Thanks”.
“No problems…do you need help with anything? Do you want help with the packing?” He offered.
“No, I’ve got it,” she replied.

He knew that she’d just tell him to leave her alone, but he couldn’t stand seeing her like this, “You know it’s okay to let it out… go get drunk, or just smash a few things.”
Sydney stopped packing her bag and looked up, and retorted, “And what good will that do?”
“I know it won’t bring him back, but it’ll make you feel better, you’re going to go insane if you keep up like this,” said Will, keeping his voice down, because Francie was still in the kitchen.
“I don’t want to feel anything. I just want to concentrate on what I have do, because if I stop and think about anything, they’ll win. Not thinking about it is the only way I can keep going, so please Will…” pleaded Sydney.
He didn’t want to push her, or make it worst than it already was for her so he just said, “Okay, but…be careful.”

It was an hour before she had to catch her flight, and there had been no word from Gibbs, her father or anyone about her counter mission. She tried to keep calm, as she waited in her car for the call. Usually she would just wait at home, but she didn’t feel like putting on a happy act for her friends so she sat in her car with the window rolled down to let in the non-existent breeze.

Finally her beeper went off, so she drove to the empty warehouse that she and Vaughn had used for their meetings. She had dreaded this meeting with Gibbs all day, but it had been unnecessary, because he wasn’t there.

There was nobody there, she slid the wire gate open and found a small jewelry box, a mobile phone and MP3 player. There was no note, she assumed that there would be instructions recorded on the MP3 player, and so Sydney shoved all of it into her brief case and speeded to the airport.

lol...calm down there sexcivaughan14, just cos i said vaughn isn't dead doesn't mean he's popping up just after a week.

i mean, the grave's still fresh.

i know, but i can dream right? lol! my readers must be happy...i have 5 fics and one of them i hadnt updated in like 4weeks and i just updated it! lol!

yeah, i'm new on this board and i'm just trying to catch up on all the fics here. what are your fics? are they all s/v?
im usually happy with any ship as long as it's an interesting story.
i still haven't watched s3 yet, though i know vaughn's married to a cow and she dies in the end.
was s3 that bad?

it was just REALLY different...not like the other seasons...basically- syd had no life! it was just the CIA and mourning the loss of vaughn...near the end of the season they discussed syd having more of a life (going out for coffee etc) but it never really happened...
my fics are...
s/v post season3
our little secret (co write with shotput25ash)
i dunno what to call it- s/v
promise me you'll cry if i die tomorrow- s/v
the ties that bind- sarkney

those are all of my fics! lol! and limits, the link for that is in my siggy! lol

ok...Carolyn told me about your story, so i JUST had to read it....this is REALLY good.....could i get a pm please?!?!?!?! and did you just update twice in one day?!?!? WOW, youre on a roll, lol....
and WELCOME then, lol....since youre new to the boards and all.....
if you wnat, you can check out my stories..i know free advertising right, lol....they are....
The Life They Deserve-S/V
MEN In Her World-S/V
Our Little Secret-Cowritten with Carolyn...bit of Sarkney, but S/V too!
A Watchful Eye-S/V
Vaughns Little Angel-Syd isnt in it yet, but will be later...its V/Lyndsey.....read and find out,lol
alright, im going to stop bugging you know...

Slowly catching her breath, Sydney flopped into the window seat. She had had to sprint into the terminal as the last boarding call was made for her flight. There had better be good reason for making her risking her life on the freeway and run in these damn shoes!

Reluctantly taking out the MP3 player, she put on the earphones and pressed play.

Gibbs’ voice came through clearly “The earrings are transmitters so switch it on when you’re ready to talk to us…”

‘Nahhh!? What I’m I going to do? Switch it on and swallow it so everyone at base-op, especially Kendall, can hear how he makes my stomach turn?’ She thought, as Gibbs’ voice continued to give its instructions.

“…the hourglass program works much like the name suggests, once flipped the time will run down like a ticking bomb. Only this time, there are no blue-white wires to cut to freeze the time at 2 seconds, leaving everyone cheering with relief. Only continuous flipping with stop all the sand from reaching the bottom. But the program is designed to be flipped once and any tampering will break the hourglass, bringing about the same end result as leaving it alone.” Gibbs’ voice paused for a breath.

“Marshall has already told you that the program works, in non-technical sense, by stopping the internal clock and set it back to 0, bypassing the changes done in anticipation of 2000. The reason that this program is potentially disastrous is that it could wipe out all computer networks, telecommunication systems and even satellites, and we don’t know how it’s spread or activated to create counter-measures. Now wh…” there was background noise and Gibbs’ voice stopped.
Sydney heard the recording stopped, but then it restarted and his voice started again, “um…once you get the pass the security system and retrieve the disc, remove the backing of the mobile phone, there should be a disc in there already, place your disc in the empty slot and press the call button. The disc will be duplicated, once the information is copied, take out the original, and press the end call button, this will corrupt the disc that you’ll be giving SD-6. Also, I checked what Marshall had said and yes make sure that don’t break the laser grid circuit or the disc will be destroyed and the information on it will be transfer to NovaTech’s other facilities. That’s it. Just delete this message and bring the MP3 player back.” And the message ended.

Removing the earphones, Sydney deleted the recording and stared out the plane’s window, lost in thought, for the rest of the flight.

Appropriate for the Canadian weather, Sydney wore a cream coat over a red turtle-neck and dark pants, and white gloves over her hands. She didn’t wear a wig this time, but had twisted her hair into a bundle clipping it neatly behind her head. She also had on thin white brimmed glasses and carried a small white handbag to complete the business look. “Dixon, how are we doing?” Sydney said under her breath, as she waited for the lift.

“I’ve just hacked into their surveillance system, and looped the feed” answered Dixon from a van parked outside. “Okay, I can see you from the cameras in the lift, but it’s empty from their view”.

Christopher Nolin’s office, if you call it that, reflected his wealth as well as his bad taste. He had a 180-degree view of the city; the floor was covered in fluffy thick white carpet, various large pieces of artwork huge on the white walls. In the centre was his semi-circular desk and two large bright red leather chairs.
Putting on a fake smile Sydney entered through the glass doors, and had difficulty keeping her balance as her pointy heels sunk into the soft carpet. “Rachelle Whitman, thank you for agreeing to see me.”

“Oh, not at all,” He replied, getting up from his desk, his eyes traveled down her body, and extended his hand.

Widening her smile she stepped forward and shook his hand, grateful that she had gloves on, so she wouldn’t have to decontaminate her hands later.

“We’ve been hearing wonderful things about the technology that your company is developing, and our clients are very excited about investing,” she said, and carefully took out a business card, “Here’s my card, in case I forget to give it to you later”.

Taking the card, he smiled and attempted to put it in his suit pocket but missed and collapsed on the floor.

Sydney quickly picking up the card from the floor and replaced it into the cardholder that Marshall had made, “Dixon, I’m making a latex copy of his thumb print, get ready to give me the security code”.

Turning Nolin’s slumped body over, Sydney searched his pocket for the security pass, “the pass number is 325-640-147.”

As Dixon retrieved the corresponding code for the security pass, Sydney quickly but cautiously made her way down to the vault.

“Sydney, the code is 1-L-9-1-S, and you’re clear for the corner,”
“Thanks Dixon, I’m going radio silent,”
“Copy that.”

Turning on the earrings, “this is Mountaineer to Bootcamp.”

Sydney’s voice came through to CIA base op, where Kendall, Jack Bristow, and Gibbs were all gathered to monitor the mission. Both Kendall and Jack stood behind a seated Gibbs. Kendall had his ‘for all occasions’ face, with his arms folded in front of him. Jack stood there stiffly and frequently glanced at Gibbs, ready to cast him aside if Sydney got into trouble. And Gibbs was seated in front of the computer monitoring NovaTech’s security system and blueprints, trying to ignore the breathing bulls behind him.

“Go ahead Mountaineer,” answered Gibbs.

Hearing a voice that wasn’t Vaughn’s coming through, struck Sydney like a bullet. Her heart clamped up and refused to beat, as she realized that Vaughn was never going to be there to comfort her, tell her non-humorous jokes or just tell her to come back safely.

“Sydney?” her father’s voice broke through her thoughts.

Recovering, Sydney answered weakly, “I’m entering the vault”

Taking off her gloves, Sydney slotted the security pass in and entered 1-L-9-1-S, the light turned green and a small hatch opened revealing the finger print pad. Taking out the cardholder, she pressed her thumb onto the latex and lifted out the fake fingerprint, then placed it on the pad.

The system accepted and the vault door slid open. Inside it was brightly lit on all 5 sides, with the disc held in a glass encasing in the centre of the vault. But Sydney, through the glasses she wore, could see that sensor lasers crisscrossed the room.
Knowing that she had less than 4 minutes before the sleaze ball woke up; she took off all her clothes, revealing a tight black body suit underneath, with a hood, which she pulled over her head.

Holding her breath, Sydney lifting her foot carefully avoiding the first laser beam and stepped inside.

Everyone at base ops was told, unceremoniously by Jack, to shut up, as the three men waited with battered breath, not making any noise that might distract Sydney, as she painstakingly maneuvered her body through the laser maze.
It felt like the temperature had just spiked a few degrees higher, as Gibbs wiped his hands on his pants several times to dry them, and continued to listen closely.

Sydney was also feeling the heat, and the bodysuit wasn’t making it any easier. When she finally reached the glass there little more than a minute for her to get the disc and get out undetected. Working quickly, she used Marshall’s pink highlighter and drew a circle on the glass. The ink burned into the glass, slowly eating it away. Sydney placed the lid back onto the highlighter, but missed! The miss caused the tip of the highlighter to touch her skin.

A sheering pain went up her hand, causing Sydney to drop the lid. Panic engulfed her, as she tried desperately to catch it, but it was too late. She watched in slow motion as the lid hit the floor with a clank and bounce across the red laser beam.
Sydney flung her hands over her ears, as the siren shrilled deafeningly; and saw that a gas had been pumped into the glass encasing and the disc was dissolving rapidly.

“What the hell happened?!” Jack yelled at Gibbs, as they all heard the siren go off.

“She triggered the alarm…” Came Gibbs’ response as he frantically typed on the keyboard.

“Well, do something!” thundered Jack, wanting to snap Gibbs’ neck for his uselessness.

“I can’t! The alarm for the vault is independent from the main security system. I can’t shut it down from here!” Gibbs hastily replied, with his full concentration on the computer screen and his fingers racing across the keyboard.

“Can you get her out?” asked Kendall, uncrossing his arms and moved closer to the screen.

Ignoring the question, Gibbs continued to type and said into the headpiece, “Bristow, get out of there, it’s a compressed vacuum vault, you have to get out of there now! And tell Dixon that you’ve got the disc…”

But there was no answer…

“Sydney?”

Silence…
TBC

by the way there's a hidden code in the story, brownie points ⭐ for the first person to find it. ;)

If you like this kinda of interaction, tell me and i'll try my best to come up with other stuff.

Back