BSG: Episode 3

Jaxx

Cadet
Did anyone else notice in this most recent episode "Bastille Day", Tom Zarek, who that is?

Richard Hatch. The original Apollo.

A friend of mine asked me about it and it then clicked in my mind as to 'Yeah! That was!'

And he said he found it rather intersting that the 'original' Apollo had mentioned the God Apollo to the new one.

Glad to see they included him in the series!

i have a magazine article that says he was one of the several attempts to resurrect the series. with his idea using his character Apollo as a middle aged man. the article writers obviously asking the question if he's just trying to do something with his career or stroke the fans

http://www.tvtome.com/BattlestarGalactica_2004/guide.html

i've just watched episode 12, one more to go!

Episode 12? Aaagghhh, I keep forgetting that some of you guys & gals are in the UK and are seeing the episodes before us in the States.

Richard Hatch's attempt at bringing back BSG was a trailer that he financed own his own and was called Second Coming in 1998. It was the fans reaction to Second Coming that led to Glen Larson attempting his own resurrection attempt in 1999. When that fell apart Bryan Singer (of X-Men fame) and Tom Desanto started their own revival. They were actually in production with sets & props being built and had already signed on Dirk Benedict (Starbuck) and Herb Jefferson (Boomer) to be in the new series. Then the tragic events of 9/11/2001 take place and like a domino effect production eventually was stopped and the sets & props ordered destroyed.

For some ideas of what may have been check out BSG section of the Media Gallery. ;)

well, it's like SG1, they tend to split up the series into two halves, giving the actors a break mid filming.

users like me have to wait longer between series' as we will watch the episodes shown on UK tv and then almost immediately watch the US half. don't be restricting yourself to 'live' viewing or you will be lagging behind a lot of fans in conversations in the fourms :smiley:

cryptic, but true

Even though I could most likely track down the BSG episodes on the net (*cough* torrents *cough*) I'm purposesly waiting to watching them as they air because that way my first time watching them is on the bigger TV screen with the surround sound system. For me it's like reading a novel before watching the movie version of it... I'd rather have the full 'experience' before the scaled back version.

But in this case it sounds like I'm missing the chance of seeing 9 episodes earlier than their scheduled air dates. :( HHmm..... tough call.

You should wait and watch them as they air so you may reflect a week on the images and ideas as intended. Cliffhangers will have more meaning and just think of all the products you will be exposed to!

in a quandry with tveps, you already pay for them in your tv viewing license fee or viewing packages and in the UK we have a time-shifting law where you can tape tv legally and watch within 14 days. i wonder if torrenting tveps to be as up to date as possible is immoral or just a sign of the intelligence, resourcefullness and eagerness to act that belongs to the hardcore scifi fan :smiley:

I forgot that you guys actually have a fee/tax for owning a TV! I remember a reading a news article at some point about there being detection vans going around trying to find people with TVs who didn't pay the feel.

And you're only allowed to watch recorded shows on VCR within 14 days?!

the license fee covers you for BBC tv and radio channels. if you have a tuner built into either your tv, vhs unit or pc, you need a license. this monopoly ends in 2010, depending on disucssions. it dates back to before there were independent channels funded soley by advertising.

when sony invented and retailed the first vhs unit, the tv companies took sony to court saying that the vhs unit was a copyright voiding unit, therefore should be illegal. the short story is that sony won, but the "timeshifting" law came into place for live terrestrial tv. tape and you can keep for 14 days, which gives the busy family a chance to keep up on the viewing they paid for in their licensing fee.

it is interesting to note that in the US state this law was fought over and won by Sony, that the law had a time period on it and at the end of this time period, the parties should go back to court to check if conditions have changed and the law needs repealing or continuing.

this time period came and went and the interested parties "forgot" to go to court.

this now means that the law set in place is gone! i hope to hell no one realises and decides to sue every owner of a vhs unit, or now pc owners who have a tvcapture card like me, able to record television straight to HDD and people with dvd units capable of recording tv straight to dvd-r or dvd-ram !!!!!!

and thats is over! series one, episode 13, watched and enjoyed. This episode was definitely one of the better ones, with a slight change the usual format.

clean space opera action style sets, but with highly emotional encounters at every turn. and a soundtrack to go with it to create the emotional feelings, much as the ending of ST DS9 gave us.

not so much a cliffhangar as an almost complete ending to a self contained story that can be continued later on without having the fans screaming "more, more, we want more" and pulling their hair out as they only had half the story before the credits came up.

brianw said:
Why did they choose to show the series in the UK first?
I think one of the UK guys can give a better explanation but my Cliff Notes understanding of the situation is that the Sci Fi Channel is actually producing the show with a UK sister organization and that as part of the agreement the sister organization got first dibs on airing the episodes.

it happens i guess. maybe there were other shows in your scheduling that would harm this ones release? maybe this one was to take up a time slot that was already in use, etc, etc.

two of the main actors are english anyhow! we have reason over here not to get excluded from any priority on screenings :smiley:

a UK magazine, SFX, did an interview with the two which i had to show to friends who were in two minds, suggesting the old series space opera and ultitude of fighting scenes was more prefereable to the current series. until you start reading some of the casts comments as to what is going through the heads of the programme creators, it's proving difficult for people to understand what this remake is about. i have the magazine still as find i have to keep pulling it out every so often to convert those who have lost the way.................

Back