Politics California Recall

the_alliance said:
about 60% of the people here in the Bay Area voted no on the recall, cuz this is where all the smart ppl live (j/p).
i agree. ;) i'm originally from the bay area, but i'm living in san diego at the moment because of school. and in sd, the numbers are actually reversed - a little over 60% voted yes for the recall while the rest (myself included) voted no. but sd is a pretty conservative city, so it wasn't a big surprise. :rolleyes:

I'm confused.....is Gray Davis still in the office right now? When does Arnold take over?

yes, gray davis is still in office. but he's pretty much a sitting duck. arnold has asked him not to sign any new bills or legislation and he's agreed (well, except for this one bill, i don't remember which one specifically, that even if he hadn't signed, it would have passed anyway).

arnold goes into office some time in november.

yes thank you for the info... i think that since people see arnie as a hero int he movies they think he will be a hero in real life... i was watching conan (an old eppy)and eliza dushku was on talking about how when she was little in the movies she went out to lucjh with arnie oin his hummer and he was riding on the side walks... i donno.. shoudl he be in a governing spot?

well, it's official. arnold schwarzenegger has been sworn in and is now california's 38th governor. :mellow: i still don't really know what to think about this.

i just watched the whole ceremony and i have to say that i do like how everything was handled with class. the whole thing was low-key so as not to seem as if they were gloating. and schwarzenegger and davis treated each other with a great deal of respect.

i guess we'll just have to see how these first 100 days go...

oh yeah, just as a sidenote, there were a bunch of celebrities at the inauguration, but none of them were really on camera (at least i didn't notice any). vanessa williams sang the national anthem, and supposedly, rob lowe, rob reiner, tom arnold, danny devito, jamie lee curtis, and linda hamilton were there as well.

that's dumb. i think that if you buy an expensive car, you should have to pay more taxes for the car. republicans only want to assist the rich and neglect the poor. bu then again, democrats aren't all that good themselves.

the_alliance said:
that's dumb. i think that if you buy an expensive car, you should have to pay more taxes for the car. republicans only want to assist the rich and neglect the poor. bu then again, democrats aren't all that good themselves.
Yes, I also think that if you buy something more expensive, you should have to pay higher taxes. It really seems to be one big mess at the moment though.

crazy spinster said:
i just can't believe that we will most likely have a man who has NEVER been in public office for a governor. he didn't even VOTE in 13 of the last 21 elections! that shows great respect for the political system... :rolleyes:
Arnold went to one debate. ONE. and he had time beforehand to prepare. *and* he didn't have a statement in the Candidates Pamphlet thing. no "if I am elected I will...". nothing. I know. I checked. :mellow:

I just think it's kind of embarassing to go to the video store and see the governor of your state on a move poster, brandishing a gun. and yet so, so ironic.

California is so screwed...

gee, thanks. ^_^

the_alliance said:
well, the car tax concerned everyone who bought a new car, doesn't matter if it's "nice" or not. and repealing the tax is actually not a bad thing. no one could afford to pay the 300% increase in the tax which meant that no one could afford to buy a new car. the only problem with this now is that the money from the car tax went to local agencies and now, without the car tax, the local agencies are going to suffer if the governor doesn't find a new source of money for them.

and repealing the car tax was actually a very "un-republican" thing to do. by overturning the tax, the governor was allowing more people to buy new cars. and while schwarzenegger is a republican, he's actually a moderate republican. there are some issues that he's surprisingly "un-republican" on, such as abortion and the environment.

Arnold went to one debate. ONE. and he had time beforehand to prepare. *and* he didn't have a statement in the Candidates Pamphlet thing. no "if I am elected I will...". nothing. I know. I checked.

I just think it's kind of embarassing to go to the video store and see the governor of your state on a move poster, brandishing a gun. and yet so, so ironic.

oh i know. that debate was ridiculous. and he didn't even really make any statements of his own. just kept zinging one-liners left and right. and the fact that he didn't have a statement in the pamphlet really says something. that he felt arrogant and cocky enough to rely only on his name and fame to win the election. sadly, it worked. :mellow:

Back