Can a 3D printer print a gun?

:eek::eek: I saw something similar to the "REPLICATORS" on Star Trek, only could be put to BAD use. On Star Trek, replicators were used to make food and objects.
Business News - Latest Headlines on CNN Business - CNN
In the WRONG hands..... :eek::eek::eek:

**sigh** It's impossible to make a firearm completely out of plastic, and it's doubtful there'll be one made any time soon. The forces involved with the gassing makes an "all plastic" weapon highly impractical. You'll blow the barrel up and most likely kill yourself in the process. Typical journalism where the clueless about guns reports about guns.

**sigh** It's impossible to make a firearm completely out of plastic, and it's doubtful there'll be one made any time soon. The forces involved with the gassing makes an "all plastic" weapon highly impractical. You'll blow the barrel up and most likely kill yourself in the process. Typical journalism where the clueless about guns reports about guns.
I think it is more of a case where presently you can not easily make a viable firearm at home cheaply but as technology progresses that is likely to change. I would be surprised if some type of 'zip gun' is not doable on affordable 3D printers in the next couple of years; even if they start with a one-use toss-away unit there will be people wanting that ability.

Right, but there's a guy right now working on it, so it's only impossible for now. Here is the video-

He's making parts. Not the entire weapon. BIG. HUGE. IMMENSE difference.

There is not a plastic made yet that can handle the stresses of a bullet being discharged. And as for the "all plastic weapon" being sneaked through security someplace, what are bullets made of? Anyone? Bueller?

He's making parts for now, and I think in the video he talks about eventually wanting to do a full weapon. Granted as you said, This is years and years away from being a reality. However, the inevitability of this becoming a reality is something that can't be denied in my opinion. The only question is how soon.

Has the worlds first 3D printed gun come come about? Maybe.

This Is The World's First Entirely 3D-Printed Gun (Photos)

The firing pin is still using a metal nail and the company is intentionally including a 6oz piece of steel so that the device does not evade metal detectors. What is interesting is that the company has applied for & achieved a federal firearms license so that they are now considered a legal gun manufacturer in the US.

Now whether this is entirely hype or is real is still up in the air because, as far as I can tell from the recent articles, a firing weapon has not been demonstrated nor have the CAD plan be released anywhere yet.

:eek::eek::eek::cry::cry::cry: More trouble! There is a company that makes GUNS FOR SMALL CHILDREN!!! REAL GUNS!!! A few days ago, a FIVE-YEAR-OLD BOY KILLED his THREE-YEAR-OLD sister! That kind of gun is called a CRICKET. There is an ad on TV SHOWING A "DAD" TEACHING HIS "SON" HOW TO USE ONE!!!
This country (USA) is going to you-know-where in a handbasket!:eek::eek::eek::eek::cry::cry::cry::cry:

More trouble! There is a company that makes GUNS FOR SMALL CHILDREN!!! REAL GUNS!!! A few days ago, a FIVE-YEAR-OLD BOY KILLED his THREE-YEAR-OLD sister! That kind of gun is called a CRICKET. There is an ad on TV SHOWING A "DAD" TEACHING HIS "SON" HOW TO USE ONE!!!
Here's a news story about it...

Guns for Kids Marketing Debate Ignited by Latest Child Death

In this case though some of the blame has to lay with the parents. Besides the obvious of the parents not teaching the kid about responsibility (I mean, really, what kind of environment is it that a kid waits until his mother leaves the room to shoot his own sister?!), the rifle was kept unlocked in a corner of the room and was left with a bullet in the chamber.

I am far from a gun supporter, nor do I think that guns should be marketed to kids, but the gun itself is not the sole problem with some of these cases of kids being shooters. In parts of the US, in particular the rural South, kids have been using guns for hunting for a long time as traditions between generation. The difference comes down to responsible parenting.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::alien::mad::mad::mad:NO company should be able to MAKE GUNS FOR CHILDREN! It should be ILLEGAL!
The government should KNOW that not all parents are responsible! It is a "CULTURE" that should come to an end, like SLAVERY!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

:banghead::banghead::banghead::alien::mad::mad::mad:NO company should be able to MAKE GUNS FOR CHILDREN! It should be ILLEGAL!
The government should KNOW that not all parents are responsible! It is a "CULTURE" that should come to an end, like SLAVERY!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
Are you really comparing gun ownership to slavery?! o_O

:banghead::banghead:Someone said that liking GUNS is a CULTURAL thing. Well, so was SLAVERY. They are both things that SOME people DO and LIKE! It is a mind-set. I am Black, so naturally, I am against slavery. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::banghead::banghead:

:banghead::banghead:Someone said that liking GUNS is a CULTURAL thing. Well, so was SLAVERY. They are both things that SOME people DO and LIKE! It is a mind-set. I am Black, so naturally, I am against slavery. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::banghead::banghead:
Being a cultural thing still has nothing to do with trying to compare gun ownership to slavery. How are they remotely similar?

Heh heh ... I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If you need more than one shot, you don't qualify for gun ownership.

[eta] More to the point ... imagine the deadliness of a weapon designed to fired shotgun shells ... via quick-change (disposable) ten inch plastic barrels, pre-loaded with a cartridge seated in the firing end.

[another eta] I applaud this development. It can only advance the support for anti-NRA/anti gun control in the US.

Back