Politics cancer

some of you may have wondered where I've gone, I know I haven't been online in a really long time. I have to admit I've been busy, but at the same time I've been going through one of the most difficult events in my life. Feel free to share your stories here also, because I'm having a difficult time dealing with my Dad's cancer, and I'd appreciate hearing stories about other's experiences with it. :thinking:

About a month ago, I come home, and my Dad asks me if I wouldn't mind spending the next two weeks in town with my mother, because he was going to be in the hospital for the next two weeks. My immediate response is, "Why?" My dad has never really been extremely open about his health, and he gave me a brief description of what was going on. Apparentally they were wanting to remove part of his colon. At the time, he supposidly didn't know too much about what was going on, or he didn't want to share it with me. Which does hurt my feelings, because I'd rather know what is going on then not know at all. Well, I was concerned and worried about my Dad, even though this particular operation was common, and was very successful in most cases. I talked with some of my close friends and a teacher. They felt bad about it, and said they were there for me. Well, the next week my dad had his operation. I went through the day only breaking down once during school. Which I guess I was glad I didn't have any outbursts of tears during school. The moment I get home, I immediately call the hospital to see if the surgery went well. The nurse responded with,"Of course he's fine. He's very very comfortable, and the surgery went very well." This put my worries at ease. And I felt content, like everything was going to be okay. About 20 minutes later my grandma calls me up, and asks to speak with my mother. I find this very odd because my parents are divorced, and this grandmother was my dad's mom, and she doesn't really like my mom. She asks to speak with her. And at the moment my mom wasn't home, so I tell her to call back later, but my mom walked in the door that instant. They talked on the phone for probably about 15 minutes or so. My mom finally gets off the phone with my grandmother, by the expression and her choice of words I knew it couldn't be anything good. My mom tells me, if I wanted the good news or the bad news. She didn't really give me much of a choice. So she gives me the good news first. My dad's operation went very well, and that he was comfortable. Then the bad news was that he'd have a collostomy(an incision in his large intestine, where his wastes go into a small bag), but that wasn't the worst news. They found cancer in 4 spots on his liver, or what they believed to be cancer. I'm upset by the news. Frustrated with life and God, I spend the night crying. Later that week I discuss the situation with my friends and teacher, once again they provide support and comfort about the situation. That following Sunday I visit my dad in the hospital, he had receieved the test results and 3 out of 4 spots came back negative for cancer. But the largest spot was positive for cancer. Some time passes in between then and now. The following week when my dad came home he lost 15 lbs in 5 days, which automatically made me concerned about his health. Anyways, my most recent visit which was yesterday, I found out the most information about his condition. He never really was open about it, but it was an eye-opening visit. He had started chemothreapy last Wednesday and it completely wiped him out for the rest week, he has to continue this every other week. He receieves his chemo through a pump, because unfortunately he wasn't a candidate for a surgical procedure of removing the cancer. My dad let me see his blue card saying what he had, at the time I don't think he realized that I'd immediately look up what he had. He had Metastatic Colon Cancer to the Liver. Also known as Stage IV of Colon Cancer, where the cancer spreads from the colon to the liver. Apparentally, there isn't a cure for the cancer, all the chemo is doing is buying time. Enough time to hope for a cure. I found out a little over 24 hours ago, that the possibility of him not seeing me graduate from high school is in the picture. Possibility of this being his last Christmas, is in the picture. I'm not sure on how long he has left, the average was anywhere from 13-16 months. I'm hoping for new medicine to be researched within the time, but I'm just frustrated at everything. I'm just hoping my Dad doesn't give up his fight, and continue the chemothreapy. Because it's already difficult for my family, then his situation is constantly being compared to his cousin's. His cousin died at 16 from cancer. It honestly hasn't been a happy month in my house. I appreciate everyone who's willing to listen, and that it really helps having someone to talk to about it. Thanks.

I am so so so sorry about your Dad. Truely i am.
I lost someone i loved very much 2 years ago this September due to lung cancer. I know it doesnt really help me saying that, but i understand what its like to know someone you love is very sick, and knowing theres nothing you can do about it.

In my case, my family didnt give me much information about my uncles illness, and so when he died, even though i knew he had cancer, and i knew it was very serious, i wasnt ready for him to go, and it really hit me hard.

I truely hope your Dad gets through this, and there are people here that care. I dont know you that well, but feel free to rant and rave about it to me. Ill listen. :smiley:

Thank you so much, I always get really emotional about these type of things, about knowing people care. :smiley: I'm actually crying at the moment, but in a good way. lol.

i'm sorry that you are going through this. 15 years ago, my aunt died of ovarian cancer and 5 years ago, my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. she survived, so we're all pretty happy about that. i'm glad you can confide in us.

My cousin had cancer when she was 14 two years ago. She had some type of cancer on her arm. Apparently it was a rare type of cancer and something they'd never really seen before. She got really skinny. She came one weekend and ended up dying. She'd actually been getting better. I dont like going into details much.

I'll talk to you anytime if you need it :smiley:

a good friend of my dad's died of pancreatic cancer. it's really hard when you lose someone, but it's especially hard if you lose someone slowly. but spygirl21, keep your chin up no matter what.

I am totally sorry that you have to endure a situation like that. My dad had lung cancer. He was a heavy smoker, and it killed him twelve years ago. He died when I was four and my younger sister was barely two. It is a horrible feeling to not have your father, and I am sincere when I say I hope he gets better. You cheer up too; no one deserves to hurt with a thing like that.

Oh sweetie, I am so sorry. But you know that we are all here for you.

Cancer has played a big part in my family. My grandfather died of lukemia when my father was 16. My grandmother was diagnosed with cancer of the mouth several years ago, and my aunt has been recently diagnosed with breast cancer. I completely understand what you're going through. And though it isn't easy there have been so many medical advancements. It'll be hard, trust me. Two of my best friends dads have both recently had medical problems (one cancer, and the other a series of problems that have left him in the hospital for over 5 months now)...it's caused a lot of tears, but we always keep hope.

I will definitely keep your dad in my thoughts and I wish him all the best, and know that you aren't alone in this struggle.

i'm sorry to hear about your dad

My friend was recently diagnosed with ovarian cancer- she's 18 and she is going through chemo, it came as quite a shock for me to hear.

My thoughts are with you and your family

Sex-Dwarf said:
I've just read that Kylie Minogue has breast cancer, she is only 37!
[post="1344318"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
i heard that too, but what the heck does age have to do with anything? cancer can come at any age.

the_alliance said:
i heard that too, but what the heck does age have to do with anything? cancer can come at any age.
[post="1344701"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Breast cancer is more prevelant in older women. When a younger woman has it, it is usually much harder to cure because of the hormones in their body. Women who have already hit menopause have a much higher success rate.

I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. I hope he gets better!

My grandmother was diagnosed with breast cancer the year before i was born and then again 2 years ago. she won the battle both times and passed away last year. i know how hard it is to have someone you love dearly go through this.

my advisory (kinda like studyhall/home room) teacher, Coach Egg, was diagnosed with stomach cancer earlier this yera (in late august). he apparently had it for a few years and didnt go until it got so bad. i was told by the sub that took over that he had stage 4 and that there wasnt a cure. he's undergoing chemo, but he had a really bad infection 2 weeks ago and the rumor was that he only had 48 hours to go. thankfully, he managed to overcome the infection and is now continuing with regular chemo treatments. but i know its really bad. some of the teachers were mad cause the students were going to see him and calling him. not even his kids can see him, thats how bad it is. only his wife's allowed to see him, and only for a few moments a day. i feel so bad for his kids (only 5 & 8!) as well as his wife and family.

Hey,

I read this and got really dizzy. Had to actually go get a glass of water. I'm really sorry for both you and your dad. I can't say that I have been close to anyone who has had cancer, but I have had doctors tell me I very well could (and they're still working on me now, but that isn't why I'm here).

The last thing you can do is give up hope. If you lose hope, it's a lost cause. You'll get through this, you just have to believe that. Even though you don't know me at all, if you ever need to talk feel free to PM me or something.

Wow, I am very sorry to hear that.

When i was...going into grade 7, so i would have been 10 or 11, i was going to visit my aunt and i remember my dad calling my mom's cell phone, he sounded upset but i gave her the phone, my dad told her something and after that she went quiet, i was gone for a little over a week and i didnt know anything was wrong. When i came home, about a week after my return- i asked my parents if i could go to my friends gramma's house, and they said no- i remember being so mad at them because i didnt think it was fair. That day, they sat me down after breakfast and told me that he had been diagnosed with Prostate Cancer. I swear to god it was the scariest moment of my life, my dad and I have always been closer than anyone in my family and based on my experiences with watching TV shows where people have Cancer, i thought he was going to die. i didnt realize that there was a chance he would be okay. Given that I was 11, i ran up to my room and cried, i didnt understand what i had done to deserve this- i thought it was all my fault. The next few days are a total blurr, and then he started going to appointments and there was chemo and then surgery and then radiation, and my biggest fear was always losing him, but it's been 5 or six years now and he's okay, and i've lost alot of faith in alot of things and alot of people through the entire experience but it has taught me so much about who i am and as much as it hurt, it made me a stronger person.

I know I'm posting forever after the topic was originally started, but I just wanted to make sure everything was ok and find out if your dad is doing any better. ;)

I know cancer can be really tough... My dad and I were diagnosed with two different types of cancer at the same time (Dec. 1999)... I had stomach cancer and he had throat cancer. It was a really tough time for my family, especially since I was only 10 years old. Now I was really lucky, and was a candidate for surgery. My dad, on the other hand, had to have chemo and radiation cause the only other option would've been to remove his voice box... an option he didnt want to have to go through.

That was a looooong time ago, and we're both fine now. I just wanted to let you know that I'm someone who has experienced what you are going through and I am there for you (that is if you still need it... since you posted this a year ago ;) ) PM me anytime :smiley:

Di

please let us know how your dad is. i hope he's alright, and to everyone who knows someone with cancer. :smiley:

back in 2003 my four year old cousin was diagnosed with leukemia. my aunt couldn't stand to hear about the bad things so much, so my mom was always by her side and we helped her and her husband take care of her two sons. They spent about a month with my family and another month during the summer with my grandparents. she went through a lot of chemo and in 2004 it relapsed. She went through more chemo and in addition, radiation. That wasn't enough though so she had a stem cell transplant. It's been a success so far. It hit really close to home and I kind of know what you're going through. PM me or e-mail me anytime.

Now, I'm more aware and am trying to organize a fundrazier to help stem cell/leukemia/cancer research at my school. Our school also does Relay for Life to raise money for cancer research. (Does anyone else's school do that?)

-Erin :smiley:

wow, i hope your dad is ok. i lost my grandpa to lung cancer. my friend's mother had cancer also, but she's ok now. my other friend's mother had cancer as well, and she's doing ok. my best friend just lost her dad on monday due to a heart attack while they were on vacation in california though. i just realized that one of my old classmate's mom has cancer now. and my uncle had cancer. it's scary the amount of people i know that have cancer.

Back