Dismiss Notice
Alien Soup is a free community for fans of science-fiction, horror, & fantasy! Everybody is welcome here.

Cars set to get parental controls

Discussion in 'Tech, Science, and Space' started by Robby, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Robby

Robby The Robot

Cars set to get parental controls

(Via BBC News)

2. Kevin

Kevin Code Monkey Staff Abductee

OK, I can see how parents would like this system, as well as some insurance companies, but what is the point of not having the top limit out until 80 MPH?

Seeing as 55 & 65 are the US norms for most states, 80 MPH is well into the area of getting points on the license and not actually help the goal of preventing teens speeding.

3. Tim

Tim Creative Writer

Capping cars speeds to a sensible amount is a good idea really. You keep the acceleration but prevent risky driving on the top end. Not saying that uncontrolled acceleration is safe, but why must cars come out for normal drivers with the capability to drive at 125mph? Nobody should be driving at that speed on any road.

As for limiting the car stereo volume, that's a bit extreme really. Personally I fitted my own stereo and had it wired to two amplifiers, decent speakers in the rear, extra tweeters above the front seats and with a subwoofer in the boot, so I'm not the person to talk to about being quiet :) I liked to come out of clubs, get in my car and still have somewhere approaching the volume in the club since I was already half deafened temporarily!

The beeping for speed grading is interesting. I think all cars should come with preprogrammable systems like that, maybe linked into GPS systems, to warn you when you are going over the speed limit in certain areas. This would take mapping and satellite systems we don't currently have in place or updated correctly. You see, modern cars are so stable that you have the illusion you are going slower than you are and you can frequently find yourself doing 40-45mph in a 30mph zone as a result. It's not just for new drivers, old ones need it too!