Season 5 Catchy, but dated

V

verdantheart

“Prophet 5” begins where we left off, with the car crash—a hit and run. Vaughn, unconscious,is pulled from the vehicle, while another “medic” attends to Sydney. She protests that she doesn't need any treatment, but the medic pulls out a syringe anyway—and Sydney notices gear that convinces her that he's not a medic. She bolts from the car and runs into a cornfield. She fights her way through and doubles back only to see Vaughn taken away in a helicopter.

Back in LA, Dr Park tells her he wants to run a few tests and lets her go. A Gordon Dean introduces himself as being from the Office of Special Investigations and begins asking Sydney questions about Michael Vaughn when Jack walks in and interrupts. He tells Sydney that Dean believes that Vaughn may have been a double agent and the crash could have been cover for an extraction. He cautions Sydney against protecting Vaughn too much, considering Jack's own experience with her mother: one year in prison.

Meanwhile, Vaughn finds himself in a room with a table and an interrogator. They play a tape meant for Vaughn and show him a message. He asks, “Where's Lehman?” while another man applies pressure to Vaughn's dislocated shoulder.

Sydney enters APO, where Weiss tells her about the “crazy” investigation of Vaughn. She asks him why he was originally assigned to her case. Weiss questions that she'd put any credence into their claims, but admits that he asked for the assignment.

Meanwhile, Vaughn's interrogator suggests that they start work on Vaughn's fiancée, suggesting to his accomplice he bring in “just her finger.” He agrees to cooperate, but tells them he'll need a pencil to decode the message.

Back at APO, Dean has Marshall recover Vaughn's personal files. Meanwhile, Sydney is matching faces to her sketch of one of their attackers. Dixon reminds her of the moment that he “knew” that she was a traitor. “You asked me to trust you and I didn't,” he says. Now he would trust her, he affirms.

Vaughn has his captors set his shoulder, which he needs for writing. He then fights the two, discovers Sydney already escaped, and makes his way out an air duct.

Sydney gets a call from Vaughn, which she takes to the ladies room. He tells her to take his father's watch to a certain dead drop. Sydney directs Dean to Mexico City to pick up Vaughn. Vaughn goes to pick up the watch and discovers Sydney waiting for him. She wants answers . . . starting with his real name, Andre Michaux.

Vaughn tells her that his father was originally a mathematician working on a project called Prophet 5—a project originated by a man named Muller, the same man connected with the Muller device. They are riding in an elevator which stops and starts again. When it stops, they meet Lehman. Vaughn shows Lehman the watch.

Dean grills Jack for Sydney's location, but he tells him that he has no idea where she is. Dean reminds Jack that Sydney is now Vaughn's accomplice. Marshall tells Jack that he encrypted all Vaughn's files before turning them over. Jack asks if he has the originals.

It turns out that Lehman is a cryptologist who was recruited along with a number of other scientists to work on Prophet 5 in 1972. Prophet 5 was a project to decrypt a manuscript written in a supposedly unbreakable code. After a number of years they succeeded in decoding it. It turned out to be hundreds of years ahead of its time—about amino acids and such. However, after this, he received a call from Vaughn's father: scientists from the project begun suffering accidental deaths at an alarming rate. He took Michaux Sr's advice to change his name and disappear. However, he has spent the time following to follow up clues as to where the book might be stored, and he now has a lead on it.

Therefore, Sydney and Vaughn go to Cape Town. They invite themselves to a private party, pretending confusion over an invitation. Sydney places a mickey on a tray and they dance as they wait for a guest to collapse. As Sydney gets the dope on the security from Dixon, Vaughn apparently meets “daddy's little girl” as he waits. He thinks he's gotten rid of her, but she makes her reappearance as he's relieving the safe of it's contents and presses the alarm button.

As Sydney's hoofing it to their emergency escape point, Dr Park calls to give her the good news: she's pregnant! She shares this information with Vaughn as they leap from the cliff.

Jack meets with Sloane, who is still in stir, still trying to discover a way to cure the comatose Nadia. Jack tells him he's still trying to expedite his release. Jack shows Sloane the data on Vaughn: trips to Marseilles, to Serbia. Sloane confirms that Vaughn's movements track with those of an assassin codenamed the Raven—Renee Rienne.

Dean, meanwhile, is looking for information to catch up with Vaughn. His accomplice has broken Marshall's code and turned up one of Vaughn's aliases—and come up with a hit through Italian customs. We see that Dean's accomplice is none other than “daddy's little girl” from Cape Town.

Sydney asks Vaughn how he feels about being a father, and he says given their lives, he'd have preferred to wait, but is happy anyway. But suddenly they're at the meet and Vaughn takes the case to meet with Lehman. As Vaughn reaches Lehman, Dean shows up with an armed squad and guns down both men.

Somehow, however, Vaughn is still alive and makes it into surgery. Jack joins his daughter in the hospital and tells her that she's been shortsighted, considering that Vaughn might indeed be a double agent and has demonstrably had contact with the Raven. Sydney says she knows this and reveals that she's pregnant. Jack backs down, telling her that he'll do everything he can to help both of them. Dixon calls in, telling them that Dean disappeared two years ago, and was presumed dead. Jack begins the investigation.

Sydney goes in to see Vaughn. They discuss names for the baby, settling on Isabel for a girl. Vaughn begins to fall asleep and they exchange “I love you”s—and then there is an alarm as Vaughn's vitals go south. A distraught Sydney watches Vaughn die. We then witness the sad funeral.

Four months later, Sydney walks into a London pub, where she corners the Raven, telling her, “We need to talk.

Comments . . .

Family comes to the fore as Sydney learns she's to become a mother. Vaughn realizes he's not totally against becoming a father after all—before he bows out! Grandfather Jack worries that his daughter is protecting a possible traitor too vigorously—until he realizes he might be the father of a grandchild, but for Jack, family always trumps other concerns.

First impression of Rachel Gibson: positive. We're already seeing a different side to her than we saw on The Inside.

Vaughn's initial interest in Sydney appears to be the Rambaldi connection through Prophet 5.

This could go under “Quibbles,” but it's a large subject, so it should go here. Vaughn's death. Do we really believe that he's dead? In our hearts? This is Alias, people. No, I don't think that anyone doesn't have at least some doubt, somewhere. You might ask yourself what reason he has to keep away from the woman he loves while she's pregnant with his child, but there are many possible reasons—including the very likely “I'd be endangering them if I came near” standard.

In fact, the now cliché refrain, “No one dies on Alias,” is starting to cause a major problem—if not for you, fellow viewer, for me at least. Because no one dies, death is meaningless. Before I get into that, is it true that “no one dies”?

Actually, it's not. Lesser characters die by the boatload; they die every week. But they don't matter to us. Even characters that matter somewhat die now and then. After all, we have reason to believe that Danny, Francie, Emily, and Lauren are dead. But Emily got a second chance after faking her death once, and Francie came back as an evil twin (who is probably? dead). However, given the fact that characters such as Irina came back from the dead not once, but twice, is it any wonder that we continue to see people looking for ways to bring Lauren, Danny, and even Francie back into the story? Even Sydney's death was faked. Jack's been around so long, it's time he joined the club, no? Because the major characters seem to take a lickin' but keep on tickin', is it any wonder our impression is that no one ever dies? Not at all.

So is death meaningless? True, I'm not a huge fan of Vaughn, but I don't hate him, and I like Sydney, so normally, I'd sympathize with her agony in witnessing Vaughn's death. But this time, all I felt was a vague resentment towards the writers for trying to manipulate my emotions when I just knew they were going to pull Vaughn out of a hat somewhere down the line. Not only did I get the feeling that I'd gone through this before, but I had a very strong impression that the writers were attempting to force a specific response in the audience by repeating the very same dance steps they'd put me through a number of times in this series. I've finally become jaded.

I have to analyze this because the reappearance of dead characters on, say, Buffy the Vampire Slayer didn't bother me so much. The difference here, I think, is that on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, those character actually died. They made the ultimate sacrifice, so any tears that I shed on their behalf were not in vain—it wasn't a cheat because the death was real, not a bait-and-switch. So I could be moved by Spike's sacrifice at the close of Buffy even when I already knew that I would see him show up on Angel a few months later. And when a major character died and was brought back . . . man, they made us pay for it.

The thing is, Vaughn might actually be dead, right? There is that one per cent chance, right? But I can't put any faith in it (not that I'm glad he's dead, but then I didn't kill him). On Alias, death is just part of the game, part of the whole “you can't trust anything or anyone” scheme . . . But—originally, anyway—the thing about Alias was that while the world was supposed to be uncertain, the emotions were supposed to be real. Emotions and reality cross at death, baby. If I can't be certain of death, I'm not going to invest my precious emotions in it . . . I feel myself pulling my emotions out, and if I do that what do I have left? All I have is the plot. I hope it's a good one.

Quibbles . . .

As to Dean . . . I wonder, do they just take the credentials of a guy who waltzes into APO—a super-secret organization—at face value? They don't bother to check with his agency, for example, or do a cursory background check to make sure that he is who he says he is? Dixon seemed to find out who he was quickly enough once Vaughn was reduced to a piece of Swiss cheese. Moreover, the CIA isn't supposed to know that APO exists . . . how does Dean know it exists? Just askin'.

Forget the “Jack wasn't really in prison” insinuations; we now have it from the horse's mouth.

Random thoughts . . .

Is Isabel the new trendy name? Isabel was the name of the superbaby on The 4400. (Maybe it's the name for superbabies?)

Sydney says, “I know everything.” Now that's unusual!

Questions . . .

Do you think death has become meaningless on Alias? If a characters returns from “death,” do you think it's more meaningful if he or she actually died, or does that matter?

Do you believe that Vaughn is dead? Why or why not?

Do you think things have become more or less uncertain as Alias has gone along? Which way do you think it should go and why?

Do you think Rachel Gibson's character is good or bad? Why? (No spoilers, please.)

Next:
Sydney meets an old friend of Vaughn's.

Do you think death has become meaningless on Alias? If a characters returns from “death,” do you think it's more meaningful if he or she actually died, or does that matter?
I do believe that reviving all these people that died is getting old. It's like why bother killing them if they're coming back? Why not just let them get away. I kinda hope Vaughn stays dead and that MV doesn't return.

Do you believe that Vaughn is dead? Why or why not? Honestly, I'm starting to doubt it. Mainly because of that drink Syd made him take, the meaningful looks between Syd and Jack at the funeral, Sydney's lack of emotion at the funeral, and Jack telling Sydney that he'd do anything to help them, then makes a call saying they will be transporting him once he's stable.

Do you think things have become more or less uncertain as Alias has gone along? Which way do you think it should go and why?
More uncertain. I'd love to see it go on because I love JG, I just wish it would go back to the old Alias with story arcs for a few episodes and more cliffhangers. Have one baddie organization, instead of jumping all over the map.

Do you think Rachel Gibson's character is good or bad? Why? (No spoilers, please.) I love her character so much already. Rachel is amazing so far, even though there was only about 20 seconds she was on. IMO, I think that Rachel will be like Sydney. A good person recruited to work for a bad organization that is posing as a good agency. Like SD-6.

no, not really. I think that the watch was either from that guy, Lehman as a way to contact between him and Michaux, or it was given to all the people involved with Prophet 5.

It might have been a way for Lehman to verify that Vaughn was in fact Andre Michaux, but further than that, they didn't explain it. However, Vaughn seemed to need it at least as a calling card to get to Lehman.

Death is completely meaningless on Alias. It just seems like a rather idiotic way that the writers are using to "intensify" the story..."let's 'kill' this character off and then when the fans least expect it bring him back to life!!" It is juvenielle and completely unrealistic. I think that when you die you're dead. So I wouldn't want to see characters return from death who have already died...that's just weird. If the writers on the show decided that a character needs to die, so be it...kill them off. But don't play these silly little games with us and bring them back at the end of the season for a more dramatic finish...it just isn't working.

*sigh* Even though I love Vaughn and don't want him to be dead, I'd rather them actually kill him off then to bring him back in some cheesy episode later in the season (and this is just based on the episode...I won't include any casting information that I know of). That being said, I do think he is probably still alive, and will be brought back in some cheesy episode later in the season. I think the writers "killed" him off to make way for the new comers and because they had run out of ideas for his character...which is really rather pathetic. Even though it ticks me off that he died for no real reason what-so-ever and the premise surrounding his death was laughable at best, I would much rather him stay dead then to be brought back...no matter how much I heart him.

I think things are very uncertain on Alias these days. Of course there has always been an uncertainty to the show...that's what helped to make it great. But in the newer episodes it honestly doesn't seem like the writers have any clue in which direction they want to take it in. In season 1 and most of season 2 I felt that the writers knew what they were doing and had everything planned out. I don't feel that way anymore. I would love to see Alias go back to the way it was, even though that'll never happen. I just hope that they are able to tie things up properly before the show ends...which will likely be at the end of this season.

Do you think Rachel Gibson's character is good or bad? Why? (No spoilers, please.)

:lol: I think it'd be pretty hard to tell if she's good or bad by just that one line she had. But she was working for that bad guy, but obviously he had everyone fooled...which ticked me off. How on earth did nobody at APO pick up on the fact that he was assumed dead and not a good guy?! Anyways, I'm not thrilled with this new character, but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and say she's one of the good guys.

Can you clarify the 2 blondes in this epi? I think the 1st one at the computer was RN and not "daddy's little girl"...but RN appeared so quickly, I'm not sure.

Thanks

Absolutely. People have been saying "Nobody's ever really dead on Alias" all the way back from Season Two. However the writers continue to pull the stunt all the way into the fifth season. It is completely disheartening that my favorite show doesn't have the motze (sp? lol) to actually kill someone, to actually follow through with a storyline. Of course there have been times when I've rather enjoyed the back-from-the-dead story (Irina :blush: ) but I think that it's gone completely over the line. I really hope that Vaughn can stay dead. Since this is most likely the last season, I want Alias to go out on its best, not with a crappy "Happily Ever After Ending" that violates all its mythology.

I don't think that death has become meaningless, just that it is no longer accepted at face value. I would ask is this what the writers want? Now we question even the most final of human acts. I think that this doubt adds to the fact that we want to believe something but cannot be sure either way.

I don't think that V is dead. Why would they have a closed casket? His face wasn't disfigured or anything.

I think that things have become more and more uncertain, but is that such a bad thing? We are no longer the naive viewers of "So it begins" we have lived this life of craziness and no longer take anything for granted.

She looks a little goody goody...I am not so sure but I guess we'll see.

I really hope that Vaughn can stay dead. Since this is most likely the last season, I want Alias to go out on its best, not with a crappy "Happily Ever After Ending" that violates all its mythology.

But I want a Happily Ever After Ending! :( :(

Anyway...

I believe Vaughn stays dead if the writers say so, and he comes back to life if the writers say so. With his death scene they have done the same thing like with Irina's last scene in Season 4 - they have made it a goodbye that can easily be forever, but can just as easily be only temporary.
My initial reaction was that he's not dead, for one of the same reasons Jaimie mentioned - the looks between Syd and Jack.
The scene can be interpreted in a way that Vaughn is not dead, the coffin was closed, the looks, the drink..and so on...but if he stays dead everyone will sit back and say "woops, we were wrong".

It's all in the writer's hands (or in MV's), they have made it easy for themselves.

So is death meaningless? True, I'm not a huge fan of Vaughn, but I don't hate him, and I like Sydney, so normally, I'd sympathize with her agony in witnessing Vaughn's death. But this time, all I felt was a vague resentment towards the writers for trying to manipulate my emotions when I just knew they were going to pull Vaughn out of a hat somewhere down the line. Not only did I get the feeling that I'd gone through this before, but I had a very strong impression that the writers were attempting to force a specific response in the audience by repeating the very same dance steps they'd put me through a number of times in this series. I've finally become jaded.
A-Freakin'-Men

Do you think death has become meaningless on Alias?
The simple, straightforward answer...Absolutely. For once, I'd like to see the creative team of this series have the stones to actually shoot a death scene (of a major character, mind you) and have it be an actual death scene. As for Vaughn's "death" scene, you'll see my answer in the next question.

Do you believe Vaughn is dead
That's a big, fat NO!! J.J. has stated that the whole Vaughn thing isn't necessarily what it seems. That to me says that we will see Vaughn again. Not flashback Vaughn, not ghost Vaughn, not in Syd's dreams Vaughn, but actual, alive & breathin' Vaughn. I thought that the look between Sydney and Jack after Marshall, Weiss, etc. carried Vaughn's casket out of the church was telling as well. It seemed to me that the look they exchanged was a look of relief, like they just pulled something off. As in faking his death.

Do you think things have become more or less uncertain as Alias has gone along?
I would have to say more. And that goes back to the end of season two through season 4. It's too early for me to comment on this season as far as the creative team's vision for season 5. All I can say is that continuity-wise, season's three and four were a couple of train-wrecks. The show was still enjoyable for me, but certainly not as good as season's one and two.

Do you think Rachel Gibson's character is good or bad?
Just the little we've seen of her, I kind of have the impression that she is in Dixon's season one position. Possibly thinking she is with the good guys when she's actually working with the bad. But that's just my first impression and could very possibly be wrong.

And V, thanks so much for writing the column. I know last year you wrote you weren't sure if you would continue with it or not. I am so glad you did. They are always extremely insightful. Looking forward to the next one.

absolutely and its starting to bug me
i mean, why kill them at all? they'll always come back - just make them disappear for a while
all i have to say is this - THANK GOD lauren is DEAD.DEAD.DEAD.

no. no. no. no. no. no. absolutely not. never. 1000% percent undead
all spoielrs aside - its quite obvious
sydney gave vaughn the drink spike with something reminicent of the sloane wine execution scenario
death was faked
proved by: syd/jack look at the end of the funeral
come on JJ make it a little bit harder next time ;)

before s5 started, i was very dishearted by the show. Most of this stemming from the rumor frenzy of the summer
i know that we can never get back to that S2 goodness of the show, its just not possible but Prophet Five has reafirmed my faith in the show. I know most people disagree on this but i found it to be a FANTASTIC episode, it reminded me why i love the show
i am still concerned however, because Vaughn-less epsidoes will remind me of why i can hATE this show
as for uncertainy i swear to god if i even hear the name rambaldi <_<

while i loved Rachel on "the inside" i have INCREDIBLY low expectations for all three of the new cast additions, they bother the heck out of me and i wil hate them

Definitely. If you're going to kill a character, then kill him/her, and if you're not, then don't. If you're just going to bring them back, there is no point in killing that character to begin with, it just takes away everything! :angry: As much as I love Vaughn and don't want him to be dead, I think it would be INCREDIBLY stupid if they brought him back, because what the hell would be the point in killing him in the first place. I was crying (and still am crying) when he died, so I would be so pissed if JJ pulled another "Wait, that wasn't really Vaughn," or "He faked his death." -_-

Irina, too; they didn't have to kill her character off, even though they weren't sure that Lena was coming back. They could have just done what they were doing for Season 3; Irina wasn't there, but that didn't mean she didn't exist. She was still helping. Killing her character off was SO pointless, and the Helix thing was such a disappointment. They should have just left her character as it was, because I felt that a lot of Season 4 was a waste because of it. <_<

No. It's as simple as that. Why? Because Alias never kills off it's main characters. As said before, "Nobody really dies on Alias," which is what pisses me off. It's become so predictable. It's like, your watching this big, dramatic scene where a main character meets his/her end. Everyone is like "OMG!" and I'm like "Waste of time! You know he/she is alive! Why even make the whole scene and go through the trouble? Vaughn is alive. Done.

More uncertain. The first couple of seasons were uncertain as well, but in a good way. I have no idea where the show is going now, and I don't think the writers do either. I think the entire car crash scene and "My name isn't Michael Vaughn" at the end of Season 4 was just thrown into the episode at the last minute as a twist, and so they could kill off his characters. Personally, I think this Season will turn out horrible, but I'm hoping for the best, because Alias should go out with a bang. ;)

Do you think Rachel Gibson's character is good or bad? Why?

She's obviously going to be a good character. I could tell from the second I saw her. Why? Because I know. ;) However, I think her character is going to be rude and snotty, kind of like how Sydney was with Vaughn in the first few episodes, but then her's and Sydney's relationship will blossom into a powerful friendship (even though she did give away Vaughn's location, which caused his death ^_^ )

The one thing I am dying to see this season is... SLOANE! I mean, all of Season 1 and 2 was about Sydney getting revenge on Sloane, and now, it's like that never happened. I really hope that he's the main badguy, and that Sydney will finally get to kill him and get her revenge, but I doubt this will happen. If she doesn't get her revenge, Season 1 and 2 will seems like a total waste.

Do you think things have become more or less uncertain as Alias has gone along?

I think that things are uncertain for the writers, and I think its foolish to try to tie in the first season to what's going on right now. Let's be real people Alias season 5 should be trying to make us forget there ever was a season 1 and 2 because if ever we really remember no one would be watching Alias these days. It's gone from a college student who happens to be a spy to a spy who happens to be a prophecy and no body wants to hear about fictional prophecy. What Alias lacks is direction...(I still love you though) what is the meaning for this? It doesn't make any sense anymore. She was there to avenge Danny's death, why is she still there? You have a masters honey go get a 9 to 5 we'll all be much happier.

*Yes, I see the apparent clues that Alias leaves us with (drink, knowing glances, closed casket, etc), however Michael Vartan started filming his guest spot for Kitchen Confidential today, the article from Kristen about ABC trying to get him a 1-3 episide guest spot, and the fact that MICHEAL VARTAN is no longer listed on the offical abc.com/alias website as a cast member show me that for all purposes, he did die and is no longer on the show. Yes, Alias did leave a window to bring him back with the above mentioned clues, but unless Michael says yes he wants to guest star, he is died IMO. It's horrible that this is how he will most likely exit the show. I mean, the fans got blindsighted by this. I think we would have embraced it a bit more if we knew it was coming, but too many rumors/speculations/neither confirmimg nor denying caused us to have too many mixed emotions. At least on ER when a character is about to leave, you have warning so you can get closure with it. When George Clooney left, they didn't kill him, and he had a great guest spot for when Julianne Marguiles left the show. This departure, oh man, was just awful.

The value in death on ALIAS has NO value. Death is a joke, on Alias now. I love the character Vaughn, but I hope they respect that character enough to let him die and not be another fake. I will have some respect for ALIAS again if they leave him dead. I don't want the show to turn into a sci-fi joke show. Let's hope it goes back to being a drama.

so i agree with what every one is saying on here but one thing that really bugged me in the episode.....and i dont know why it bugged me so much....how come rachel's character was able to undo what marshal did?? i mean come on its supost to be marshal the unstopable!!!! ok
oh and is the blonde girl who was the daughter of the man with the vault and was hitting on vaughn is that rachel also???

Can you clarify the 2 blondes in this epi? I think the 1st one at the computer was RN and not "daddy's little girl"...but RN appeared so quickly, I'm not sure.
Yes, they are both Rachel Nichols

And V, thanks so much for writing the column. I know last year you wrote you weren't sure if you would continue with it or not. I am so glad you did. They are always extremely insightful. Looking forward to the next one.
:blush: You're so sweet. I'm going to try to keep it fairly positive, but I will state my opinion, as I did this time about the "no one ever dies on Alias" thing. It looks like I struck a chord with the fans, too . . . :thinking: I'll probably write some more later on about the whole "you can't be sure of anything or anyone" thing either in a column or an essay, so you can be forewarned. ;) This time, of course, Vaughn's death was the major event of the episode and its effect was lessened by the many non-deaths in the series. Too bad, huh? Especially if it turns out that he's really dead. -_-

while i loved Rachel on "the inside" i have INCREDIBLY low expectations for all three of the new cast additions, they bother the heck out of me and i wil hate them
Interesting how new cast members on Alias always seem to bring out such negative reactions. :confused: Actually, I'm going into it with an open mind, and I'm actually looking forward to seeing Rachel Nichols in a different role. As I said, it was interesting to see another side of her in that short glimpse and I'm interested to see more. I can already see the opportunity to see a sparkle to her that we didn't have a chance to see on The Inside.

... but one thing that really bugged me in the episode.....and i dont know why it bugged me so much....how come rachel's character was able to undo what marshal did?? i mean come on its supost to be marshal the unstopable!!!! ok
Supposedly Marshall based his encryption code on some house standard, so she had a shortcut in decrypting the files. ;) (Next time, use a home brew, Marsh!)

I don't think that it has become meaningless. Vaughn is such an important person to this show and no matter if he is dead or not, he will always be a major component of it. I deff. think that Vaughn should come back. W/o him, there is a part of the show that is just missing......i dont know how good a show can be at its best w/o that long awaited syd-vaughn moment...

I think VAUGHN LIVES! haha, i think that he is too much a part of that show for him to just be gone for an entire season.....He is part of what makes that show what it is, and w/o him, its for sure gonna go downhill

Heres to hoping for a great season!

Back