Caught in the Middle

I hope Sydney gets to Vaughn in time and that everything goes alright.
What does Irina want with Sydney? It's about those final steps she was talking about or she just wants her to work for her?

Great chapter, as usual.

A/N: Okay, here's the next chapter. Enjoy! :D :woot: ;)

In the Mountains of Argentina...

Vaughn waited at the drop off point, tapping the smooth, metal case, which contained the artifact Azrael was after. He sat down on a large, odd-shaped rock, and sighed. They were out in the mountains, where not a single soul was seen for miles. The winds blew sand in all directions, and he began to cough.

“Of all the places to meet…,” Vaughn mumbled, kicking some sand, “Do you think he picked one remote enough?”

He looked up when he heard the sound of tires, and saw a large, black van headed his way. He stood up, and fixed his posture and his face, so that Azrael would take him more serious.

“Okay, how would Sydney handle this situation?” he asked himself, as the van pulled up in front of him.

Azrael stepped out, along with the driver, who was armed. He walked over to Vaughn, a surprised look on his face.

“You’re not Miss Son, you’re her associate. Where is Miss Son?” Azrael asked.

“She couldn’t make it, there was an emergency, so she sent me instead,” Vaughn replied, his voice dead serious.

“Well, I’ll give Miss Son my regards when she gets here,” Azrael said.

“That won’t be happening. I already told you, she sent me,” Vaughn said.

“And I already told you, I’ll only do business with Miss Son. So, if she values her friends’ lives, she’ll come. Until then… good day,” Azrael said, heading back to the car.

“Fine then, I guess I can destroy this, since Miss Son has been wanting me to get rid of it,” Vaughn said, opening the case for Azrael to see inside.

He stopped in his tracks, and gazed and the artifact Vaughn was holding. It appeared to be some kind of manuscript, and it was old, that’s all Vaughn could tell. Azrael walked over, and smiled at Vaughn.

“Alright, fine. The manuscript for your friends?” he asked.

“Deal,” Vaughn replied.

CIA HQ, Los Angeles

“How’s it coming along?” Kendall asked, staring over the bumbling tech-man’s shoulder.

“Well, whatever this is, its encrypted, obviously. I’ve been working on it for days, and I’ve only been able to retrieve 1% of the information. At this rate, we could be here for months, or even years,” Marshall explained.

The data they acquired from Sydney’s lab was proving to be more difficult to decipher than they had originally thought. It was evident that Sydney poured her heart and soul into making sure nobody could read those files, except for her.

“What do you need?” Kendall asked.

“I’m already using all of the CIA’s full resources. I don’t see how there’s anything you can do, unless you’re smarter than Sydney herself,” Marshall answered.

This was a puzzling predicament for Kendall, “There has to be some program that would be able to decode the files.”

“Well then, find it, and bring it to me,” Marshall said, getting annoyed.

Kendall pushed the glass doors open, and left the office, leaving Marshall still typing away. He rubbed his forehead and let out a sigh, “This is pointless.”

In the Mountains of Argentina...

“I want to see them first,” Vaughn said, shutting the case.

“Very well. So you’ll see, they’re fine,” he replied.

He waved a hand towards the van, and the side door slid open. Out came one guard, holding a blindfolded Nadia, followed by another guard with Weiss.

“Now, give me the case, and I’ll let them walk over to you,” Azrael said, extending a hand.

“No. Them first,” Vaughn replied.

“I’m afraid I can’t do that, Miss Son’s associate. How can I trust you, especially after Berlin?” he asked.

“Okay, then we hand them over at the same time,” Vaughn suggested.

“Hmm… alright. It seems fair enough,” Azrael agreed.

The guards moved Nadia and Weiss forward, until they were right behind Azrael. Azrael and Vaughn both approached each other, until they were a mere few feet away. Azrael directed the two hostages to walk forward, while Vaughn handed him the case. Seconds later, Nadia and Weiss were safe, behind Vaughn, and Azrael was walking away with the case.

“A please doing business with you,” Azrael said, as he got into his van.

Vaughn took the time to remove their blindfolds and cut the ropes that were binding their wrists behind their backs. They were both shocked to see Vaughn.

“Vaughn!? Where’s Sydney!?” Nadia asked.

“Something terrible has happened,” Vaughn replied.

“What!? Is Sydney okay?” a concerned Nadia asked.

“I don’t know. She fell very ill, very suddenly. Nobody can tell what’s wrong,” Vaughn explained.

“Oh my God…,” Nadia whispered.

“That’s why we have to head back to LA as soon as possible,” Vaughn said.

Nadia and Weiss nodded their heads in understanding.

“Our convoy is about a mile up ahead,” Vaughn said, as they began to walk.

Suddenly, shots were being fired, and they turned to see the van, heading towards them.

“What the hell!? We had a deal!” Vaughn shouted.

“it’s a double-cross! Move, up into the mountains!” Nadia replied.

The three of them began sprinting up the mountain road, only looking behind every so often. The van was gaining on them, and shots were being fired, just missing their feet every time.

“We need to split up! We’re too easy of a target this way!” Vaughn said.

“Sure!” Weiss replied.

Vaughn broke off to the left, while Nadia and Weiss broke off to the right. The mountains were to bare to hide in, but at the base of the mountain, there was plenty of trees and bushes to conceal themselves in. Vaughn carefully maneuvered around the mountain, gripping on to the rocky edge, he began his descent down the hill, and he didn’t spot the van coming towards him.

Nadia and Weiss were on the other side, with the same idea. They weren’t extremely high up, but high enough for them to fall to their deaths if they slipped or fell.

“Do you see them?” Weiss asked, from below his girlfriend.

Nadia popped her head up to spot them parking the van. The two mean who were guarding them came running in their direction, while the driver headed in Vaughn’s. Azrael remained in the car, a blank look on his face.

“That little bastard is probably enjoying this,” Nadia mumbled, as she carefully made her way down the side.

Vaughn was halfway down the mountain, we he was spotted by one of the goons, who began firing at him. Luckily for Vaughn, he had bad aim, so the bullets missed him every time. It wasn’t until he fired a bullet in the direction of his hand that Vaughn moved it just in time, and with it, lost his grip, and began to fall down the mountain.

“Damn!” he shouted, as the ground was becoming closer and closer.

He for sure thought that this was it; he’d never see Sydney again, or anyone for that matter. He closed his eyes, but before he could impact with the ground, he felt a tug on his pant leg, and stopped. He looked up to see his pant leg caught on a twig, sticking out of the mountain.

“What are the odds,” he laughed to himself.

His laughing stopped as soon as her felt the twig begin to break. There was nothing stopping him now. Suddenly, he spotted a helicopter in the sky, while he was hanging upside down.

“Is that one of Azrael’s?” he wondered.

He watched as bullets were fired out of the helicopter, and Azrael’s goon was hit. He came falling down the mountain, whizzing right past Vaughn, and landing on the ground with a loud thud.

“I Guess not,” he answered himself.

The twig would break any second now, and he prayed that the person in the helicopter had seen him. Sure enough, it began its descent towards him, and a rope was thrown out. Vaughn grabbed hold of it, right as the twig broke, and he jerked down for a second. His rescuer then pulled the rope up, and he climbed safely aboard.

“Good. You’re safe,” a weak, familiar voice said.

“Sydney! What are you doing here!?” Vaughn asked, running over to hold her.

“I tried to tell them… that you were in danger… but they wouldn’t listen… so I came myself…,” Sydney explain.

She was very weak, and in a lot of pain. There were dark bags under her eyes, and she looked like she had a tank of drugs pumped through her.

“Syd… why? You should be in bed?” he asked, as he placed her head on his knees.

“You rest. I’ll take care of the rest.”

The pilot had spotted Nadia and Weiss on their way down, and flew over towards them. Vaughn took the gun from Sydney’s hand and began firing at the two men of Azrael’s. He hit one of them, who tumbled into the other, sending them both flying off the edge. He then lowered the rope, like Sydney has done before him, and waited for Nadia and Weiss to grab on. Once they did, he pulled them up, and they were safe aboard.

“Pilot, lets go home!” Vaughn shouted.

“Roger,” the pilot replied, and they flew off in the direction of home.

“Oh my God! Sydney!” Nadia shouted, running over to her sister.

“You… idiot. This… is… all… your fault,” Sydney replied.

Her breaths were coming in short, shallow gasps, and all three of them began to worry.

“I don’t understand! Vaughn told us you were ill!” Nadia said, brushing the hair out of Sydney’s face.

“I was… but… Nadia… mother’s alive,” Sydney said.

Nadia’s eyes almost popped out of her head, and she back up, almost falling out of the plane, if Weiss hadn’t grabbed her.

“Easy, tiger! Don’t die on us now!” he said.

“How… are you sure?” Nadia asked in disbelief.

“Yes… I’m sure… Vaughn saw her, too,” Sydney replied.

“Yeah. She’s really “The Man,” and we had a run in with her in Berlin,” Vaughn explained.

“So… mom’s the bad guy?” Nadia asked, her eyes filled with tears, threatening to fall.

“Yeah,” Vaughn said.

Sydney didn’t say anything, and just looked in the other direction.

CIA HQ, Los Angeles

“Agent Bristow! Miss Son has escaped!” an agent said, running over to Jack.

“What!? How!?” he asked.

“The doctor said she took down his two guards, and then ran down the fire exit. She said she went to help Vaughn and the two hostages,” he explained.

“Agent Bristow! Agents Vaughn, Weiss, and your daughter have arrived to their convoy yet. Their an hour and a half late,” another agent said, turning around in his chair.

“Damn… a double-cross… I should have seen this coming,” Jack mumbled.

“Agent Bristow! We’re receiving a communication from one of our choppers! He says he has the three agents, and Miss Son!” the same agent explained.

“Patch me through!” Jack shouted.

He grabbed a headset and waited for someone on the other end to respond.

“I repeat, agents Bristow Jr., Weiss, Vaughn, and Son are with me! The mission was compromised, and they’re coming home with me,” the pilot replied.

“How is Son?” Jack asked.

“Not too good. She doesn’t look so well,” the pilot replied.

Jack took his headset off and slammed it on the table.

“Sydney, as stubborn as ever. She’s going to get herself killed, especially when she disobeys orders and goes into the field half dead!” Jack thought, storming out of the rotunda.

Just caught up with the story. Sydney has changed a lot. I just hope Irina doesn't turn her into a zombie or something equelly terrible! I have never trusted Irina>
Thanks for the PM

A/N: Next chapter! Enjoy! :D ;) :woot:

CIA HQ Los Angeles

“Where is she now?” Jack asked, as Nadia came walking into the rotunda.

“Hello to you, too,” Nadia said, sarcastically.

Things were still bumpy between the two of them, ever since Sydney’s return and Nadia discovered the truth about her father’s betrayal. She felt herself growing closer to her sister, whether Sydney would admit to it or not.

“Is she okay?” Jack asked.

“Why do you care? You suddenly want to play the concerned father?” Nadia asked.

“Nadia, don’t be difficult. There is no reason for stubbornness,” Jack said, sternly.

“No reason for it!? Dad, you lied to me about Sydney and about mom! Sydney told me everything! Mom’s alive, but I doubt that’s news to you!” Nadia shouted.

“Keep your voice down,” Jack said, dragging her into a small, closet-like space, “Its not as it appears, and if you’d give me two minutes to explain myself-“

“Fine, you have two minutes; go!” Nadia interrupted.

“What Sydney said had some truth to it; she was born into this world with abilities greater of that than an average human, but these abilities are useless unless they are honed and trained. The best time to hone these skills are during childhood, precisely around the sixth year of life, because that’s when children are most perceptive,” Jack explain.

“Yes, but that doesn’t explain why you did train her! You could have said no, and spared her!” Nadia protested.

“Yes, but I had to train her, because of who your mother was. The CIA received information soon after Irina’s extraction that the KGB was planning on continuing with the research, and abducting Sydney to conduct the experiments and training on. So, I did what I thought was necessary-“

“You trained her yourself, so she’s be on your side of the fight,” Nadia said.

“Sydney was always intended to serve the CIA, and if I hadn’t done what I did, other people would have learned of her existence and exploited and used her. I couldn’t allow,” Jack said.

“No, because you couldn’t bare to think that somebody else would be using your own weapon against you. You subjected that poor child to God knows what, just so you could use her for yourself. You don’t see the flaws in that!?” Nadia asked.

Jack said nothing, and kept his head facing the ground.

“No matter what excuses you try to use, the truth is, you are responsible for all of this, and I don’t think I can ever forgive you,” Nadia snapped.

She then walked away from her father, leaving him alone to his thoughts. She couldn’t believe that one man do such a thing, train his own child to kill, all in the name of the CIA. He intended to have Sydney serve him, but Sydney was much stronger than he had anticipated, and she was able to tear his plan to bits.

“I’m still not sure if she’s a good person, or if I can trust her, but at least I understand her motivations now. I can see where she’s coming from, and I can sympathize,” Nadia thought, as she climbed into her car.

She was going to visit Sydney. Right now, Vaughn was in a briefing, while her and Weiss were given the rest of the day off. Her father had fought against Kendall, saying that they’d endured enough during the past few days, and deserved a few hours to themselves. She was glad for this, and figured she’d use the time to visit Sydney. Plus, she was sure Sydney would enjoy her company a whole lot more than some guard she didn’t know.

Sydney’s CIA Hospital Room

Nadia knocked on the door, and then walked in. To her surprise, Weiss was in the room with Sydney, sitting next to her bed.

“Hey,” Nadia said, greeting him with a quick kiss to the lips, “What are you doing here?”

“Well, she did save our asses, so I thought she deserved a little company,” he said, motioning to a sleeping Sydney, “She fell asleep soon after I got here, though.”

“How long have you been here?” Nadia asked.

“About an hour and a half. Look, if you want to head home and get some rest, I’ll be glad to stay and watch her,” Weiss suggested.

“Nah, that’s okay. She’s my sister, plus, we have a lot of catching up to do. You go home, and I’ll call you later, alright?” Nadia replied.

“Sure. Just don’t spend all night here. They do have hospital guards, you know,” he said, kissing her cheek, and leaving.

Nadia took a seat in the chair Weiss occupied before, staring at her sister. She looked somewhat better than before, but still looked like she was hit by a truck.

“Your boyfriend’s a bumbling fool,” Sydney said, without opening her eyes, “He’s been ranting on about nothing for an hour and a half.”

“What? I thought you were asleep!” Nadia said, checking her monitors.

The human body had a relaxed pulse rate and mind read when a person slept, which changed the second the second they woke up. Sydney’s monitors still read that of a sleeping person’s.

“Its an easy trick, keeping one’s body completely at ease,” Sydney said, sensing her questioning and answering it.

“Well,” Nadia smiled, “What exactly did he say?”

“First, he was talking about pizza, which led to a conversation about some bar, to his first girlfriend, then, back to pizza. I wasn’t really listening, though,” Sydney explained.

Nadia smiled; that was Weiss, always ranting on about pointless things. She knew that Weiss was trying his hardest to accept Sydney, and trying to make friendly conversation and make her feel welcomed.

“How are you feeling?” Nadia asked, her voice switching from happy to concerned.

“Perfect. Never felt better,” Sydney lied.

Nadia also knew that Sydney never wanted anyone to see her in her moment of weakness. A trait, which Nadia, too, had inherited. She figured it was from their father, but after learning about her mother, she was beginning to think it came from her.

“Sydney… what did mom say, when you saw her again?” Nadia asked, knowing she was hitting a tender spot.

“… Nothing, really. We fought, I unveiled her, and before we could have a proper conversation, she left,” Sydney explained.

“She was the one who killed Vaughn’s dad. She’s the one responsible for so many bad things…,” Nadia whispered, as if she couldn’t accept it.

“Don’t you think I know that, stupid? You were just a little brat when she died, so you didn’t even know her! Seeing her again… it felt like I was shot back into the past,” Sydney said.

“So, then, you do know we’ll end up facing her in the field again?” Nadia asked.

“Of course I knew that, stupid,” Sydney said with a sigh.

Sydney knew, alright, and she really wasn’t looking forward to when that day came.

“But… wait a second. She’s not my enemy, right? She’s the CIA’s enemy, and, thus, she is not mine…,” Sydney thought.

Then, she remembered back to the phone card her mother had given her earlier. She had told Sydney to call if she wanted answers. Of course Sydney wanted answers! Being helpless and unaware was her biggest peeve.

“What are you thinking?” Nadia asked.

“Nothing. Now, if you wouldn’t mind, could you please leave me alone?” Sydney retorted.

“Why? Wouldn’t you rather me than someone you don’t know?” Nadia asked.

“I’d rather no one, so leave!” Sydney shouted, suddenly getting very edgy.

“Alright, alright! You don’t need to be so pushy!” Nadia said, leaving.

As she was walking down the hallway to the elevator, she tried to comprehend what must have been going through Sydney’s head; her mother, who she loved more than life and devoted everything to, ended up really being alive, and left Sydney alone all these years. Now, she’s back, but she’s a bad guy. It seemed to her like a super villain out of a bad comic book.

“I wonder if mom ever thinks about me?”

Zev’s Safe House, Los Angeles

Irina poured herself a cup of tea, and then took a seat on the couch. She really had nothing to do, all of her work being done and back at her office. The only thing she could do was sit and wait for Zev’s call, indicating Sydney was on her way.

“Nadia… I wonder what she looks like now,” Irina thought.

Sydney had looked much like she did, and her mother before her. She only knew Nadia as an infant, so there was no way she could predict what Nadia would look like.

“There’s much I have yet to learn, like why, exactly, Sydney is with the CIA, and what Nadia is to her. After years of separation, I wouldn’t be surprised if Sydney didn’t remember her, or if Nadia even knows she has a sister,” Irina said to herself.

As far as she knew, there was no place for Nadia in her plans, which filled her with a sense of relief. That meant she wouldn’t have to introduce another one of her children to the real world.

“Sydney already knows the truth, or, at the very least, has a good sense of it. That should make it all the more easier for her. I wonder how Nadia is? If she’s as blind and naïve as her father.”

Sydney was always more like herself. Not only did they share the same ruthlessness and reputation, but the same views on the world; both her and Sydney saw the world for what it really was, and weren’t naïve or idealistic about it.

“The plain, simple truth, which people choose to elude.”

CIA HQ, Los Angeles

Vaughn walked out of the briefing room after a debriefing lasting a good, four hours. It wasn’t even that complicated of a mission, so he didn’t understand why Kendall found it necessary to ask every question, and nitpick every, little detail.

He let out a sigh, and spotted Nadia at her desk. He briskly walked over to her, placing a hand on her shoulder, and asking, “What’s up?”

“Nothing much,” she replied, “Sydney didn’t want any company, and I didn’t feel like going home, so I decided I’d get a head start on some of my paperwork.”

Vaughn laughed, and shook his head, “You’re the only person I know who’d come into work when they were given a day off, for no particular reason at all.”

“That’s not true. I told you; paperwork,” Nadia replied.

“What paperwork? I wrote the mission report, Weiss wrote the one for your mission to Brazil, and we have no leads on Azrael. What could you possibly be working on?” Vaughn asked.

He knew Nadia didn’t have any work, and that she just wanted to do something to distract herself. He’d done the same thing, himself, on many occasions, always during a stressful point in his life.

“Do you want to talk about it?” Vaughn asked, pulling up a rolling chair.

“Its just… I don’t remember my mother, at all. I mean, I don’t even know what she looked like. My dad burnt all the pictures he had of her after her supposed “death,” and refused to ever speak of her. Sydney was the only other one who really knew her, and she left just as I was capable of forming memories. Even now, when I mention our mother, she has the same, eluded and abrasive expression that my father always wore,” Nadia explained.

“Yeah. The death of a loved one has a strong impact on those who were close. However, the betrayal of a love one has an even stronger impact. You have to understand the pain you’re bringing up when you mention your mother around your father, and around Sydney,” Vaughn replied.

“No, I understand completely what you’re saying. The thing is… I feel like I have no idea what’s going, and the people who can give me answers are refusing to talk,” Nadia said.

“Yeah, but I doubt even Sydney has the answers you’re looking for, and if your father does, then, you’re right; he’d never talk about them,” Vaughn replied.

“A part of me wants to come face-to-face with my mother, catch a glimpse of her, for the first time in my life. The other part is afraid of what I’ll find, and is telling me to stay away,” Nadia explained.

“Nadia… all I can tell you is that you’ll have to come face-to-face with your mother-- and the truth-- sometime, and it is going to hurt. But, things like these… its life, and it can’t be avoided. Sydney faced her demons-”

“And she’s a wreck. Like you said, death is painful enough, but betrayal hurts twice as bad.”

Sydney’s CIA Hospital Room

Sydney eyed the card again, contemplating whether or not she should call her mother.

“But… she’s not my enemy… right?”

The nurse popped her head into the room, “Lights out, Miss Son.”

The nurse turned off the light switch, and shut the door. Sydney was left alone in the dark, with her card.

“She doesn’t have to be my enemy,” she said to herself.

Sydney put the card back into her pocket; tomorrow, she’d be free to leave this hell-hole, and she’d contact her mother as soon as that happened.

Be careful Syd... She might still be the enemy!! :smiley: Don't let her play you because she is your "Mother"!!! Great update, can't wait for the next chapter

Wow I just read half of it and I have to say I LOVE it!!!! I think its one of the best fics i've read, and I really like it. I'll read the rest later but keep up the good work!!!!!!!! (y) :woot:

As far as I understood... Irina is still the enemy. Sydney should be careful and not elude herself.

Great chapter.

Back