Caught in the Middle

For a long time i thought that she's going to kill herself. The seperation has caused Sydney to fall to the point where she was at the beginning. I can't understand why Nadia is acting that way. At first she totally loved her sister but now everything is in the opposite way. Please, Nadia, understand that they just have to be together. It dosen't feel like Nadia is yelous. I truely hope that Sydney wilL see how she truely is the greatest person in the world and she has earned the right to "go and be a family".

At the beginning of the previous week i first read this fan fic. I truely had a busy week and still i was so addicted to this fic that i stayed up till the early hours to catch up. Thank you for this marvellous creation! Can't wait till you update it again!

A/N: I guess that was longer than a week, huh? Its like, every time I think I have some free time, something else pops up to say "Sorry to get your hopes up!" But, I digress. Here's the next chapter. Its not very long and doesn't give much away, but it paves the way for a new storyline. Enjoy! :woot: :D ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nadia Bristow’s House, Los Angeles

Sitting in the kitchen, Nadia began to think about what she had said to Sydney. She didn’t want to sound like a bitch, but she was just so frustrated and Sydney could not keep this baby. Too much was a stake.

Hearing a cell phone ring and recognizing the tone as Sydney’s, she waited for her sister to pick it up. She hadn’t seen Sydney since yesterday afternoon, when she had locked herself in her room. Hearing the phone keep ringing, giving a frustrated sigh, she got up and headed towards Sydney’s room.

“Pick up your phone! It might be Kendall!” Nadia shouted.

There was no reply and the phone kept ringing. Banging on it, there was still no reply. She jiggled the doorknob, trying to open the door, but it was locked. Finally, she backed up and rammed into it, bashing the door open.

“Sydney!?”

At first, she thought her sister had fled again. She did seem pretty pissed off and with her hormones on a high, that wasn’t a good thing. However, when she set foot in her room, there she was, on the bed.

“Can I help you?” she asked.

Her voice sounded… different. She couldn’t quite put her finger on it, but it didn’t sound how she remembered it yesterday. Her tone was heavier, more condescending, like it was when they first reunited, but still slightly different.

“What the hell’s the matter with you!? Your phone was ringing and I was yelling for you!”

“Yes, I’m aware. I heard it all.”

“Then why did you just lay there!?”

“You don’t care, so why bothering asking that question?”

Nadia wanted to snap back, but decided against it and grabbed Sydney’s phone, “Yes?” she asked, in an agitated tone.

“Agent Bristow? Where’s Agent Son?” Kendall asked.

“Being a bitch. You can talk to me,” Nadia said, emphasizing so it was loud enough for Sydney to hear.

“Well, we need the both of you in here ASAP. We think we’ve found something,” he explained.

“All right. We’ll be right in.”

She turned off the phone, placing it back on the nightstand, “Kendall’s found something. He needs both of us.”

“You go ahead,” Sydney replied, never bothering to move.

Nadia was shocked at her sister’s immature and laidback behavior, “No, you’re coming with me. He asked for both of us.”

“And he’ll get you.”

Nadia couldn’t believe what she was hearing. Sydney was arrogant, but never arrogant enough to throw out a chance to get Azrael. This wasn’t Sydney.

“What if we’ve found Azrael?”

“Then have fun trying to catch him. Good luck.”

“What… what’s going on?” Nadia asked.

What was wrong with her? Was it something she said, or just her hormones on a high? “Look, I get you’re stressed out with everything, but you have a job to do! You just can’t sit here!”

“I can and I will,” Sydney replied, jumping up off the bed and pushing past her sister.

“You know what? Fine! We don’t need you anyway!” Nadia shouted before grabbing her things and heading out the door.

The truth was, they did need her. She was their most valuable asset. If Kendall knew that she wasn’t cooperating, then he’d have her executed, “Its not like I should care. After everything she’s done-- hurting so many people, deceiving me-- she deserves to die. But still… she’s my sister, as much as I can’t stand that fact.”

She had to tell Kendall, though. He’d obviously notice her missing and then he’d force her to help them, or kill her.

“I’m starting to get the feeling that she really doesn’t care whether or not she comes out of this alive,” she said, growing more concerned.

She didn’t know why she was feeling this way. Her sister, she was so… evil. So why did she feel bad for her? Last time she opened up to her, Sydney betrayed her and everyone else, yet again. How could she do it for a third time?

“How does that saying go? “Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.” Hmm… fool me a third time and I’m a complete and utter idiot. I can’t let that happen,” she mumbled, “And what about Vaughn? He doesn’t even know! I mean, as the father, he has the right to know, but sometimes what’s best and what’s right aren’t always the same thing. If he didn’t know, then he wouldn’t get attached and he wouldn’t get hurt when she betrays us again.”

She decided she’d keep her mouth shut. Whatever she wanted, it really wasn’t up to her. It was up to Sydney, and that’s what drove her mad.

“I just hope you know what’s good for you, sister.”

----------

CIA HQ, Los Angeles

“Where’s your sister?” Jack asked, noticing that Nadia was alone.

“She refused to come.”

This caught Kendall, Jack and Vaughn’s attention. Like Nadia, they knew Sydney would never give up a shot at Azrael.

“What do you mean?” Kendall asked.

“I don’t know. She got pissed off at me yesterday and I guess she hasn’t cooled down yet,” Nadia tried to explain.

“What did you say?” Jack asked, concerned.

Nadia gave Jack a suspicious glance, wondering why he suddenly wanted to act like a father. Was he hiding something, too? What was with this family of hers? Was she the only normal… well… honest one?

“I just snapped at her, but--”

“I don’t care about your little quarrels,” Kendall interrupted, “Incase you’ve forgotten, technically, she’s still in our custody and bound by an agreement. If she fails to comply, I’ll put the needle in her arm myself.”

“Stop it! That’s enough!” Vaughn said.

They all turned to look at him, Nadia knowing what this was about, “I guess it is a good thing he doesn’t know about the baby. There wouldn’t be a chance he’d give her up,” she thought.

She had honestly thought that what Sydney said was true and that it was just a fling. Even evil geniuses needed some love. But it was apparent by the way they were acting that this was far more than a fling.

“I can go and get her,” he suggested.

“And what makes you think she’ll listen to you?” Jack asked, glaring at the young man.

“Well, like I said before, we got… close. She said she thought of me as a friend, so maybe she’ll listen,” Vaughn replied.

“A friend? Is that right?” Kendall asked, “Fine. I don’t care what any of you do. I just want her in here. We can’t move on without her.”

“Okay. I’ll go get her--”

“Not without me,” Nadia said.

“I’ll come, as well.”

Now this stunned all of them. Why would Jack want to come? He hated Sydney and she hated him, so why show up to help talk some sense into her?

“Uh, dad, I don’t know if that’s such a good idea,” Nadia replied, “Like I said, she’s pissed enough as it is, and if she sees you there, she might just blow a fuse.”

“I don’t care about that. I need to see for myself.”

Vaughn returned Jack’s previous glare. He knew he wasn’t concerned about Sydney’s health, so what was he up to? Why did he care so much? He didn’t like it. It was this man’s fault in the first place, causing Sydney to suffer so, or so she had told him.

“See what? Are you looking for something?” Vaughn asked, suspiciously.

“You could say that, if you want,” Jack replied, returning his glare.

The two stared off in the middle of the Rotunda, invisible sparks shooting between them. Everybody stopped to watch, wondering how Vaughn could be stupid enough to challenge a man like Jack.

“Are we going or not?” Jack asked, finally breaking the staring contest.

“Fine by me!”

The two men walked ahead, never taking their eyes off each other, while Nadia followed behind, “Hey, wait for me! It is my house, after all!”

----------

Nadia Bristow’s House, Los Angeles

“Sydney, Dad and Vaughn are here,” Nadia said, standing in the doorway.

“Oh? That’s nice. Why do I care again?”

Nadia let out a frustrated growl, “I’ve had it!”

Turning to Jack and Vaughn, she said, “You two deal with her! If she doesn’t care, then neither do I!”

Jack and Vaughn looked at each other, wondering who would make the first move.

“Let me go in,” Jack said, “I think I may be able to help.”

“Help Sydney or help yourself?” Vaughn retorted, “If anything, you’ll make things worse. If Sydney’s in a bad mood, then I doubt she’ll want to see you.”

“That may be, but we won’t know for sure unless I go in there.”

Jack seemed determined to see his estranged daughter and Vaughn wasn’t the person to stand in the way. It couldn’t hurt that much, could it? They had nothing to lose.

Opening the door and slipping inside, Jack stared at Sydney’s figure, which was facing the other way. He could have sworn the room dropped ten degrees since he entered.

“Father,” she mumbled, as she lay on her side.

“Sydney.”

He continued to stare at her. He couldn’t see her face, but he could tell by her demeanor that she had changed back to her frigid self. What had invoked this change?

“What happened?” he asked.

“You did.”

“Don’t toy with me,” he said, his voice serious, “What did Nadia say?”

“Everything that was true. She made me realize what I had forgotten. Give her my thanks,” Sydney said, very nonchalant.

Jack was silent, thinking about what to say next. He had to pick his words very carefully, “I heard about Vaughn.”

“What about him?”

“Its quite obvious. His over-protective behavior and your sister’s jealousy. There’s something going on between you two,” he dug.

“Not anymore.”

“I see…”

That must have been it. That must have been what sprung this strange… well… not-so-strange-for-Sydney-strange-for-anyone-else behavior. But if she was happy with Vaughn, then why did it end?

“Why “not anymore?”” he prodded just a little deeper.

“Stop analyzing me, father. You’re not going to get anything more than what I’ve already told you. You’re not a stupid man; figure it out yourself.”

She was right. He wasn’t going to get anymore out of her. But Vaughn… that was a window of opportunity that he couldn’t pass up. He’d have to speak with him later.

“Vaughn is here,” Jack said, trying to get a reaction.

“That’s nice.”

Jack nodded to himself, stepping out of the room. Vaughn was waiting anxiously outside, pacing, wondering what was going on. When he saw Jack, he stopped, staring at him intently.

“You can go in,” Jack replied, pushing past Vaughn.

He watched as Vaughn disappeared into Sydney’s room. So he was what caused the sudden change in Sydney? He was what tamed her… momentarily. Now, she was back to her old self, because she didn’t have him anymore.

“I don’t like it,” he mumbled, “But if it works, then I don’t want to tamper with it.”

If Vaughn was really what changed Sydney, no matter how much he hated that fact, he had to let him be with Sydney. Rogue Sydney was far too dangerous for any of them to deal with in a time like this, with Azrael planning something.

“I have a feeling Nadia’s not completely innocent, either.”

Something was going on between these three that he needed to know. First, Sydney and Vaughn and Nadia were all happy, then, Sydney betrayed them and Nadia turned angry, and now, all three of them are angry.

“I’m curious to see how Mr. Vaughn will come into all of this.”

----------

“Syd?” he asked, pushing the door open lightly and squeezing inside.

He didn’t get an answer. Not even a grunt or mumble or any indication that she was acknowledging him. He knew they were supposed to play cold around others, but they weren’t around others anymore.

“Is everything all right?”

He moved closer sitting on the edge of the bed, staring at the floor. That was when her delayed response came, “Just peachy.”

“Is that right?” he asked again.

When he tried to move closer, she slowly backed away from him, as if she were afraid of his touch. Something really was wrong, as Nadia had said. But she was fine-- relatively fine-- yesterday. What changed so much in one day?

“Sydney, what’s wrong? Is it… is it something I did?”

She was quiet, not knowing how to respond to that. It was him directly, but…

“Yes.”

He immediately felt guilty, like he had seriously hurt her. He didn’t think he had said or done anything to make her feel that way, but he couldn’t be sure, “What?”

“You gave me false hope.”

Nadia needs to get off her high horse...
At least she is starting to realize that what was between Vaughn and Syd was real and none of her business...
Wonder what Jack was hoping to see in Syd.
Hopefully Syd will explain her cryptic remark to Vaughn and tell him that she is pregnant.
Thanks for the pm.

Nadia needs to stop being such a bitch to Sydney. Yes, she's done bad things, but she's a human being. And Sydney needs to tell Vaughn about the baby. Otherwise things might get out of hand and they need to be fixed.

hope sydney tells vaughn that she's pregnant.
loved the description of jack and vaughn glaring at each other in the rotunda :D
awesome update and thanks for the pm. ^_^
can't wait to see what happens next!

~Kay :angelic:

One step forward and a thousand step backward. huh. (n) :nonono:

I hope Nadia will stop interfering with their relationship. :angry:

Just tell him Syd.. :hmm:

Please update soon and thanks for the PM :coolthumb:

Back