Caught Up In Reality

Well, here it is. Chapter five! ^_^ Enjoy! (I'll save my comments for the end! )

Caught Up In Reality
Island

The SS Grandeur was one of those huge, white, commercial cruise ships. The kind you saw in movies or on TV. Where everyone had fun, the weather was always perfect. One could only hope it held true for reality.

Once they had safely boarded the ship, Jack and Sydney went to find their rooms. Meanwhile, Vaughn and Irina went to pick up the baggage from the claim.

"She loves you." Irina's voice came from behind him.

"What?" Had he heard right? Irina was still unloading the bags as if she hadn't said anything at all. She looked up at him innocently.

"I didn't say anything."

Vaughn narrowed his eyes, but he couldn't tell if she was lying or telling the truth. Finally he shrugged it off and unloaded their last bag. Behind him, Irina grinned. Now to let it run its course.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After locating their cabins, which were near to the front of the ship, Jack filled Sydney in on the island they were to search. They would pass it around noon. After going over details of the mission, Jack went back to the room he would share with Irina. When Vaughn and Irina returned with their bags, they proceeded to unpack. Sydney relayed Jacks information to Vaughn regarding the mission. They wandered around the ship until eleven; then started to make their way up onto the deck.

Smiling at the cruise ship workers who milled around, Sydney and Vaughn walked across the deck. Giving Sydney's hand a squeeze, Vaughn went weak at the knees and fell to the floor. Sydney yelled for help, and while people on deck gave Vaughn medical attention, Sydney snuck around the other side of the deck where a rope was waiting for her. She took off her clothes to reveal a dark bathing suit. She slid down the rope into the warm water and took off towards the island. Meanwhile, Vaughn explained his sudden fainting spell as a unique heart condition. He was allowed back to his room at one that afternoon. He looked out the window to the island and hoped that Sydney was okay. All the while Irina's words echoed in his head.

She loves you.

The problem was, those words had to fight another part of his conscience that was screaming about protocol and the Alliance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sydney stepped onto the sandy beach of the desolate isle and unpacked the small waterproof bag she had taken along. A metal detector, a small shovel, a cell phone, and some assorted electronics. The island was small, only a mile wide and two miles long, and it was barren of all life. Little more than a sandy outcrop in the ocean, it wouldn't take long to search.

Sydney assembled the metal detector and began her investigation. The first half of the island yielded nothing, and Sydney brushed sweat- streaked strands of hair out of her face. Reaching the middle of the island, she was taken by surprise as armed guards jumped up from a sandy pit. The first one came at her with a shotgun, but she quickly disarmed him and punched him twice in the stomach, causing him to double over in pain. A swift kick knocked his legs out from under him and left him sprawled on the ground.
Turning to meet the other two guards, she grabbed the gun from the ground where it had fallen. Pulling her own gun from her belt, she covered both of the remaining unarmed guards. Sydney motioned for them to get down on their knees, a request met with dirty looks but instant obedience. Approaching them, she knocked them out and tied them up. Looking over to the pits where the guards had surprised her from, Sydney noticed a large rock in between the three ditches. Under Sydney's skilled eye, a thin groove was found in the stone. Using the shovel tip as a crowbar, Sydney wedged it between the two pieces of rock and lifted it open to reveal a single black floppy disk wrapped in cloth stuck in the crevice. Thre was to label to give a clue as to its contents.

She placed the disk into a drive and copied the information onto a computer chip, which she promptly placed in a port on her cell phone. She called her father on speed dial.

"Transmitting data now." She said, and dialed a series of numbers on her phone.

"Data recieved. Come home, Freelancer."

Hanging up, she made sure she hadn't overlooked anything, and made her way back to shore. She packed her waterproof bag, waded into the water, and struck off towards the ship.

Sydney knocked on her parent's hotel room door, the original disk in hand. It was opened by her father, who looked relieved to see her in one piece.

"Charisse, come in," he said. Sydney entered the room and waited while her father activated a bug-killing device. Once he was through, Sydney spoke.

"What did you find?" She questioned. Jack handed her a stack of papers which she quickly looked through.

"It's not the whole document, the other half is still out there. But if I may venture to say so, I think this might be the end of the Alliance. We just need that other half, and Langley will confirm it." He said, the corners of his mouth twitching up at the ends in a smile.

A few minutes later, Sydney left the room. She went out into the hall and opened the door to the room she shared with Vaughn.

Upon closing the door she was enveloped in a bear hug. The feeling of Vaughn's arms around her set her skin on fire, while at the same time sending a shiver down her spine.

"Sorry, I just... I was worried about you." He said, holding her out so he could see her smiling face. "Are you hurt?"

"I'm fine. Just a scratch from a rock while I was swimming out, other than that I'm unharmed."

Vaughn pulled her in for another hug. When he released her again she saw that he had ordered some take out from a restaurant and had set the table, complete with wine. Following her gaze, Vaughn explained.

"Your father told me about the new developments. I thought we could celebrate."

"Can't argue with that logic." She said perkily.

"Toast?" Vaughn asked, holding up a bottle of wine.

"Sure."

"Vivez bien, aimez beaucoup, riez souvent." Vaughn said, pouring them each a glass.

"Live well, love much, laugh often." She translated as they clinked their full glasses together. "I'll drink to that."

Thanks for all the lovely replies! I LOVE getting them. Also, this fic is probably going to end up being about 13 chapters long, and I'll most likely write a sequel! I'm enjoying this as much as you are! (I hope, at least!)

~Kate

Great chapter! I love the double hig that Vaughn gave Sydney. I can't wait for more fluff and for them to finally kiss!! :love: And Irina... I also very much love her!! :D
Thanks for the PM
Veronique

Upon closing the door she was enveloped in a bear hug. The feeling of Vaughn's arms around her set her skin on fire, while at the same time sending a shiver down her spine.

"Sorry, I just... I was worried about you." He said, holding her out so he could see her smiling face. "Are you hurt?"

"I'm fine. Just a scratch from a rock while I was swimming out, other than that I'm unharmed."

Vaughn pulled her in for another hug. When he released her again she saw that he had ordered some take out from a restaurant and had set the table, complete with wine. Following her gaze, Vaughn explained.
OMG! Poor Vaughnnie! He was so worried. I think a kiss from Sydney would make him feel better. :P

Great Chapter
I Loved It
Cant wait for more

:D

Great chapter.
Irina is great! : :angelic:
Vaughn was really worried about her! That was so cute.
I'm glad she is ok and the mission went well. Obviously so is Vaughn. :D
He really likes her they should so kiss already! :love:
Thanx for the pm
Update soon

my god that was awesome!! Irina is so naughty, teasing vaughn like that!! bahaha, makes me laugh, she's so devilish! i love it! thanks for the pm!

I am Really like ing Irena nnow she is so shifty but it's working......Vivez bien, aimez beaucoup, riez souvent i would drink to that to......

Rea

Wild_Child said:
I am Really like ing Irena nnow she is so shifty but it's working......Vivez bien, aimez beaucoup, riez souvent i would drink to that to......

Rea
[post="1370476"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Thats actually a quote that's been in my family a long time... ^_^ It's painted on the wall right above my computer! I was thinking of something that they could toast, and I looked up... And there it was! I'm glad you liked it.

~Kate

awwwwww. i love this. its so sweet. i'm glad they're gonna be able to get rid of the Alliance. Irina is so funny. how she's tryin to hook them up. lol.
can i please get a pm wen u update? thanks.
~kaitlyn

*squeals* :woot:

My gosh, what to say after that chapter?! Hehe, I hate it (not really, but you know what I mean) when you're left speechless after a chapter... And then you just don't know what to say! So you're left to ramble your way through the whole review... Which is just what I'm going to do now :P

Hm... IRINA! Dude! She told Vaughnie that Syddie loved him... Aww... :love: *whispers* I love you too, Vaughnie! :angelic: *sigh* But where would S/V be without Irina in this fic? She's almost like... Cupid. Only clothed, and not so fat! :D

And poor Vaughnie... He seemed so worried when Syddie got back.. TWO HUGS! :woot: *giggles* And he even ordered food for them, and wine, and everything!

:happydance:

Totally in love with this fic! Keep up the freaking aweeeesome work, Kate!! ;)

Cai
x

Back