celebrity response

i recently saw that Mission Impossible 3 expected about 30 million dollars more than it brought in. i think it brought in about 40ish million dollars in the U.S. do you guys think that cruise might have alienated some movie-goers with him whacky views on scientology?

i think i am personally gonna wait to see this one on dvd. cruise's offscreen craziness has kinda turned me off to his movies. he isn't the same character anymore, b/c all i can think is "tom cruise.... what a nut" i haven't seen a movie with him yet since all the scientology mumbo-jumbo, but i don't think i will be able to take him seriously.

i like an actor more if i don't know anything about them, personally.

Originally posted by Kickinbama@May 8 2006, 07:51 PM
i like an actor more if i don't know anything about them, personally.
OMG how funny... you really hit the nail on the head with that one!

Personally, I get all the entertainment industry information I need from the daily show and david spades hollywood show...

To be honest, Tom Cruise hasnt put out a movie I have liked since risky busines... what the hell is the appeal of this guy anyways?

Well, I went and saw this movie last night and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I went in with less than stellar expectations but to my surprise it was not bad at all.

What's it Have?

It's got a pretty fluent plot, tons of explosions, and more IMF missions. There's a nice plot twist and a pretty good storyline, even though the ending leaves you wondering about something (but it's miniscule enough not to really matter as it's somewhat explained in the movie).

I would recommend you go see it if you enjoy movies with guns and spies.

But.. if you're going to sit there and be a negative nelly through the whole thing, thinking things like "Wtf? That gadget is not possible!" or "Tom Cruise h4x0r3d life, this movie is stupid and impossible!"

Then don't go. (and read the title of the movie before claiming things about how unreal the character's actions are)

i have read a lot of reviews that give that movie really good ones. and i do plan on seeing it. when it come out on video. i do enjoy action movies and all. i just hink there are better movies that i think are coming out that are worth $9 ticket prices. which translates to $18 dollars since my girl goes with me.

da vinci code
xmen 3
pirates of the carribean 2
superman
spiderman 3 (that comes out this summer right?

Spiderman 3 is slated for May 4th, 2007.

That's a great list of must-see movies there though. I showed my wife the Superman Returns trailer this weekend and she turned to me after it was over and said those three little words that drive me wild, "I'll see that". :D

The trick is to realize that Tom Cruise is not an actor... He is a Movie Star. The only time I thought he ever acted was in Magnolia, then it just turned out to really be him.

Czi

I wouldn't have gone to IM:3 anyways, so I can't honestly comment. But I do feel that I would prefer that Tom Cruise not go ANYWHERE near any movies I care about. Like playing Wonderwoman...err, wait, wrong annoying Movie Star.

I like no-name actors, becuase I want to watch a movie about, well, the story. Not to watch some actor be themselves for the umpteenth time. Some actors can really "be someone else"...he's not one of 'em.

Originally posted by Foxeye@May 20 2006, 05:41 AM
I like no-name actors, becuase I want to watch a movie about, well, the story. Not to watch some actor be themselves for the umpteenth time. Some actors can really "be someone else"...he's not one of 'em.
I agree with this up to a limit.

Some actors are so good being themselves that script writers write them into movies, like Morgan Freeman who's pretty much been playing himself for a good loong while.

I still keep the actor separate from the person. There is too much tabloid culture nowadays, where we are supposed to pretend to know the man/woman on the silver screen. Quite frankly I don't care if Russel Crowe is a jerk as long as Maximus can still keep me breathless for a couple of hours.

As far as Mission Impossible 3 goes, I thought it was a decent action flick. A great recovery from 2, but not really a patch on 1. At times they pushed my suspension of disbelief a bit too hard: like when a sniper spots a crouching Cruise *with the scope of his sniper rifle*!!! and turns around to tell his colleague to bring the missile-bearing remote-controlled plane around to shoot him down.... umm... yeah.

I think Bad Boys 2 spoiled me a little too much on action movies... It would take Jet Li, Christian Bale *and* Will Smith being in amovie with Kate Beckinsale and Emmanuelle Chriqui to even begin to challenge it as king of movies-where-felgercarb-blows-up.

Generally when I watch a movie, in order to enjoy it I have to see the character as the character, not as the actor. When an actor or actress makes a public spectacle of themselves, to the point that I can no longer see them as their character but only as that nitwit bounching up and down on Oprah's couch, it seriously detracts from my enjoyment of the film.

There are exceptions, of course. If that character is hot and that's why I am watching, it doesn't matter if they are the character or themselves. Halle Berry, for example. :smiley: And of course luminaries like Jack Nicholson who are intrinsically cool get a lot of leway. But Tom Cruise? He is in my rear view mirror.

Tom Cruise is indeed a whacky scientology cult nutcase, but he is a ---- good actor. I especially loved War of the Worlds, regardless whether or not it was true to the original book or whatever because I just don't give a ----. That movie kicked ---. I haven't even seen MI:2 yet so I can't comment on MI:3. But my point is, people need to stop sticking their noses and opinions into an actor's personal life and just enjoy the ---- movie. Who cares what weird---- religion Tom decides to do? It's his business, and his movie reviews and opinions on the movie should not be based on the personal life of the actor. And that's a big problem I see nowadays. The same goes for any actor. Who cares if Pamela Anderson wanted to give Tommy Lee a bj nd get her cherry popped? That's her business Who cares if Peewee Herman likes jerking off in movie theaters? That's his business and the cops business.......on second thought....strike that. Peewee Herman is a weirdo bastard. My mom actually went to school with him and she told me he used to tie mirrors to his shoes to look up girl's skirts. But that's off-topic.....

Also, Kate Moss is ugly. She looks like she has love handles on her jawbone.

Back