Champions Online

Karetyr

Cadet
Today, I flipped through the latest Gameinformer and read the article about Champions Online.

Holy felgercarb. I need this game.

Like City of Heroes/Villains, you can custom your character to an unbelievable degree. There are a few very important differences, however.

1) You can customize the appearance of your powers.

2) You can customize your animations. Beastly character? Walk on all fours. Psionic master? Float with arms crossed.

3) When you create your character, you also create your arch-nemesis. A custom NPC overboss that is at the center of a lot of your quests and stories - and it's possible to defeat him permanently, either locking him up or, presumably, killing him, at which point you create a NEW arch-nemesis. And like your player character, he's completely customizable.

I'm also a big fan of the "comic-shaded" graphics. Very comic-book-like, much more so than CoX.

So, in addition to Hero's Journey, I'll be a Champions Online fanatic. Who's with me??

-- UPDATE: I now own championsonline.org. I plan on having the very first fan site for the game...

"Bigger and better: Vanquish evil, and your successes will be rewarded with costume pieces to enhance your powers and abilities. Then customize the appearance of those rewards to your vision of your hero's look and abilities!"

Yup, I'll be there. It looks like Jack learned his lesson. Well, looks that way at the moment anyhow. Hopefully this means it's actually fun, and practical, to invest time into a single character. Which would, presumably by default, also mean that there will be content aimed at the skill/level/whatever cap.

If all that holds true, I'll be there with bells on.

...magical bells of super sonic vibrations!

My main problem with CoH is/was the lack of content after lvl 50. The dev's continued to work hard on the game, no doubt about that, but it was (to me) trivial stuff such as new powersets and tweaks and costumes (which, while cool, can eventually become over kill). And no where near enough time on actually content, post-cap. That was, by default if not by design, Jacks fault. I really hope he's learned something from CoH. I really want to make a character and become attached to it, and spend meaningful time upgrading, customizing, and just having fun with it. Something not possible in CoX, but the very core of a PnP rpg. Hopefully he does this game justice. [-o|

I'm still under the belief that NCSoft licenses out their engines, with restrictions. I was wondering when we'd see ones like CoH seeing how most their games have perfect copies by other companies now. TB and GW, obviously not included.

I'm still under the belief that NCSoft licenses out their engines, with restrictions. I was wondering when we'd see ones like CoH seeing how most their games have perfect copies by other companies now. TB and GW, obviously not included.

Huh?

NCSoft has nothing to do with Champions Online. The engine is completely new, though it's developed by the same company that developed City of Heroes (Cryptic).

Cryptic is now its own publisher, having received a tremendous injection of capital from the sale of CoX to NCSoft. All ties are broken.

NCSoft has nothing to do with Champions Online. The engine is completely new, though it's developed by the same company that developed City of Heroes (Cryptic).

Cryptic is now its own publisher, having received a tremendous injection of capital from the sale of CoX to NCSoft. All ties are broken.

Well, kinda. The engine they use is their own, the cryptic engine. The same engine used for CoH/V. Just a later version... But yeah, NCsoft and cryptic are not related, other than NCsoft published CoH/V for them and then later purchased it from cryptic.

I haven't heard that cryptic is self publishing, though. You have a link? <--- NM, found one.

Sadly, I have no interest in actually playing in this genre. Because this really does look (so far) extremely well done.

To me the genre is fun, but what scares me is that it is being made for the xbox as well.

How deep can it really be on a console? Or is it going to be Diablo 2 for superheros?

I just signed up on their forums and I am very interested in the game.

I love CoX but my issue comes into play about paying for it. I do resubscribe randomly and have fun but after the month, I am not so much bored but kind of in a stance on keep paying to play. I am not sure what is needed in the game to keep me but the market system and crafting was a good start. I love the idea of being a super hero but the game system really will have to keep me in the game and feel like I am in a world.

To me the genre is fun, but what scares me is that it is being made for the xbox as well.

How deep can it really be on a console? Or is it going to be Diablo 2 for superheros?

Yeah, I hate that... but final fantasy is console too, don't think I've heard depth as a problem. Never played it, though, so wouldn't know personally. All I really care about is raiding as a super hero that isn't glowing green, pink, or purple. I really don't like those colors, moreso after having played CoH.

I'm very excited about Champions Online, particularly because of some articles I've read that illustrate States has learned from their mistakes with CoH. To me though, it is basically CoH2.0, but that's not bad at all.

CoH for me has run it's course and I just can't get back into it anymore, maybe this new and improved version will captivate me for a few years again.

Yeah, I hate that... but final fantasy is console too, don't think I've heard depth as a problem. Never played it, though, so wouldn't know personally.

It definitely never suffered a problem of depth. The main problem with Final Fantasy XI was always it's group finding. The game required a group for all but the simplest of tasks and it was normally hard to find one in your area. Other than that, the game was beautiful with an immersive atmosphere to it.

Ehh... As huge of a fan as I am of CoH/CoV, I don't think the cartooney look will work for me. I'm definitely going to try it, but I'm already disliking the art style.

Yeah the art style is killing it for me too. :( Every game has its one glaringly bad flaw(and every flaw has a couple people that like it!), but I'm still going to try it. It still looks like alot of fun. I doubt I'd play it over HJ, though. The graphics alone make HJ win. Prior to seeing the trailer, I'd been debating with myself which I'd play.

BAM! Enough talking about Darkfail.

I've been following Champions-Online since my original post above, and I have to say, they're making huge strides. No more crappy cartoon faces like we saw way back in early 2008. With 2 new PR videos released in the last few weeks, and with beta invites getting tossed out by the thousands, I'm very pumped to see this title in action. I've already applied and have been posting on the forums regularly for about a week.

From what I can tell so far, some of the costume pieces are a tad bit ridiculous, and they're trying way too hard to beat out DCU with stupid features and meaningless additions... but I can live with that. I know they're going to make a lot of the same mistakes as CoH, and a ton more because of the competition with DCU, but I also think in the end, this game is going to be better than both. (And as a 3+ year fan of City of Heroes, that's saying a lot.)

Check out some of the newer screenshots and videos if you guys forgot about this title. You might be impressed.

Back