Change My Documents Location

You simply wouldn't believe how many people lose time and valuable files trying to clean out files they no longer need in order to free up disk space when they run into this problem.

Be smarter. Use this one little tip and give all your programs the disk space they need.

So many people get frustrated because they upgraded their computer with a second hard drive and they just don't understand why they still run into disk space problems.

That's because Windows was initially installed on their original hard disk. When given a new hard disk with extra space, Windows isn't smart enough to recognize this extra storage automatically. This little "Change My Documents Location" trick will simply help Windows make better use of your hard drive capacity.

Most people don't know that it only takes about 30 seconds to change the physical storage location of the "My Documents" folder on their system:

1.Click on the Start button
2.Right-click the "My Documents" folder and select "Properties"
3.Windows will open up the My Documents properties window:

4.Click on the "Move" button and browse to a location on your other hard disk
Click ok
5.Windows will aks if you want to move the current files in your "old" My Documents folder to the new location. Select "Yes".
6.You might get additional dialogs about moving read-only files or system files. Confirm those as well.

That's it! That's all you need to do to move your "My Documents" folder to a location with more breathing room. Provided that you have an additional hard disk with extra space of course.

Back