Change Your Mind

I'm going to be optimistic and say that Syd is not necessarily having second thoughts, but that she just needs a little more time getting used the fact that she wants to get married after living practily her whole life knowing that she wasn't getting married...:smiley:...Besides it's only one chapter left, Syd can't mess this up, Right?

Sydney still needs time to process everything. They don't need to marry right away either, they can wait a bit, as long as she's sure.
Let's all have in our minds that she decided to get married so she could be with Michael, so... again, she needs time.

I'm so glad to see that Sydney has changed her mind about the whole wedding and children thing, even though she shouldn't try to have a baby so soon after having lost one. she needs time to grieve and all

Sydney may still be a bit scared to get married but since she said 'yes' to his proposal, I'm sure they will go through with it. And will be happy too.

Chris

I'm going to be optimistic and say that Syd is not necessarily having second thoughts, but that she just needs a little more time getting used the fact that she wants to get married after living practily her whole life knowing that she wasn't getting married...:smiley:...Besides it's only one chapter left, Syd can't mess this up, Right?

Sydney still needs time to process everything. They don't need to marry right away either, they can wait a bit, as long as she's sure.
Let's all have in our minds that she decided to get married so she could be with Michael, so... again, she needs time.
I couldn't have said it any better. ITA

mmmmmmmmmm Chocolate......mmmmmmmmm Milky Ways!! (runs off to get some chocolate) Great!! I loved it!! it was awesome!!

Chapter 28

On Saturday morning, Sydney went over to hang out with Nadia and the twins while Michael and Eric spent some ‘guy time’ together playing basketball in the park. “So, how are you guys doing?” Sydney asked referring to Nadia and the tiny baby bump she patted after giving Nadia a hug.

“Oh, well,” Nadia sighed, stroking her belly, “us girls are doing just fine?”

“Girls?” Sydney asked, almost laughing.

“Yep, another girl,” Nadia laughed.

“Oh poor Eric,” Sydney said sympathetically.

“I know….I think he almost cried.”

Sydney laughed softly. “Well then, I guess it’s good I’m not having my baby,” she said. When Nadia gave her a confused look she clarified, “It was a boy.”

“I thought you guys didn’t find out,” Nadia said with confusion.

“No, we were gonna wait, but then when I went back for my follow up appointment I asked; the curiosity was killing me,” she shrugged slightly.

“Oh Syd,” Nadia said, giving her another hug, “I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay, really; I’m fine,” Sydney assured her. Then she walked into the other room to greet her nieces. She played with them for about half an hour before they grew bored and retreated to the television, at which point Sydney walked over to help Nadia fold laundry.

“What’s with you, Syd?” Nadia asked. “You seem… jumpy.”

“Well, I’m kinda freaking out about something now that you mention it…,” Sydney said. Nadia gave her a curious look and Sydney held up her left hand, which held the engagement ring Michael had given her.

Nadia let out a squeal as she examined the ring closer. “Oh Sydney, it’s gorgeous. When did he give it to you?”

“Two days ago,” Sydney said with a slight whine.

“What’s the matter? You’re not freaking out over this are you?” Nadia asked. Sydney nodded sheepishly. “What?! Why?! You’re the one who said you wanted to marry Michael.”

“I know, I know,” Sydney sighed, rubbing her forehead. “But now… now I don’t know. I mean it’s marriage. I can’t just go from being completely against it to completely for it overnight.”

“True,” Nadia said with a head nod. “But I think I know something that will help you.”

After this comment, Sydney expected Nadia to say or do something, but she did nothing at all; she merely continued to fold her laundry as if nothing happened. “Okay…,” Sydney said slowly.

“Oh,” Nadia looked up at her and smiled, “you’ll see.” Sydney gave her a suspicious look, but Nadia said nothing more. Sydney was beginning to feel concerned about what, exactly, her sister was talking about until she found her answer. Only ten minutes later, their mother showed up and immediately pulled Sydney into a smothering hug.

“Why didn’t you call me! You should have called me! I would have come right away!” her mother said.

“It’s fine, Mom,” Sydney sighed while thinking that was the exact reason why she hadn’t called her mother.

“Are you sure?” her mother asked. Sydney nodded.

“Michael proposed to Sydney, she said yes, but now she’s chickening out because she’s so afraid of marriage,” Nadia summarized the situation for her mother. Sydney turned around and glared at her, but Nadia was unfazed.

“Sydney! Why are you so afraid of marriage? Marriage is a wonderful thing,” her mother told her.

“Funny you should say that, Mom,” Sydney sighed as she walked over to Nadia’s kitchen table and flopped down in one of the chairs.

“Alright, so your father and I weren’t really the best models for marriage, but look at your sister and Eric or your grandparents – they were married for forty years!” her mother told her.

“Yeah, way back in, like, the 1900’s. Do you know what the divorce rate is these days?!”

“See,” her mother said, shaking her head, “I knew you shouldn’t have become a divorce lawyer like your father. It poisons you.”

“I’m not poisoned,” Sydney defended.

“Uh, yeah, ya kinda are,” Nadia told her.

“The truth is Sydney, some people just shouldn’t get married and your father and I are good examples of that. I didn’t like his excessive work hours before we were married, but I married him anyway. Believe it or not we did have a few good years, especially when you two were younger, but even then, we still fought.”

“Michael and I fight,” Sydney said quietly.

“No, you argue; there’s a difference,” her mother said. Sydney looked up at her, obviously not seeing one. “The bottom line is, marriage is a leap of faith, one you have to be willing to take knowing that the other person is right for you.”

Sydney looked down at the engagement ring on her hand and asked quietly, “What if I’m not willing to take it?”

“I think you are,” her mother said, “but you really should talk to Michael about this.” Sydney grumbled, knowing her mother was right (and hating it), but not looking forward to that conversation at all.

~*~

“Hey, can we talk about something?” Sydney asked Michael later that afternoon, knowing if she didn’t do it then, she’d keep chickening out. Michael looked up at her and nodded. “Well…see…I’ve kinda been freaking out about being engaged…,” she said with a slight cringe.

“Freaking out how?” Michael asked. Sydney explained to him the fears she still had about divorce and what her mother and Nadia had told her that afternoon. “Well,” Michael sighed. “Your mother is right; marriage is a leap of faith.”

“I know, I hate it when she’s right,” Sydney groaned.

Michael couldn’t help but laugh softly. He slid over on the couch beside her and took her hands in his. “So the question is – are you ready to jump?”

Sydney looked down at their intertwined hands for a moment before saying, “Yeah, I think I am. I mean, I really, really want to be with you and I feel like, you know, we’re a good match and… yeah, yeah I am,” she smiled.

Michael leaned over and kissed her. “Good, I’m glad to hear it.” He then relaxed back on the couch and pulled Sydney with him with his arm around her back.

“You know, I think we should get married in September, like towards the end,” Sydney told him.

“Really?”

“Yeah. I think this whole thing will seem more real to me if we start to plan… plus, it’ll stop me from freaking out about it… I hope,” she laughed.

“I’d love to get married in September,” Michael smiled at her.

“Good… and then maybe we can start trying for a baby right away,” she said with a hopeful smile.

“If you want,” he said with a slight laugh.

“Yeah, I want,” she grinned. Then she leaned over and gave him a long kiss. “Thank you… for changing my mind about all this.”

“Well you,” he sighed as he hugged her a bit tighter, “are very, very welcome.”

Epilogue

“Syd, she’s perfect,” Michael said softly as he cradled his brand new baby girl. She curled her tiny little fist around his index finger and Michael’s heart melted all over again.

“Well enjoy her,” Sydney sighed with her eyes closed as she tried to rest. “She’s the last; no more babies. We’ll turn into Nadia and Eric,” Sydney said. She, of course, was referring to the fact that due to Eric’s wish to have a son after having three daughters, Nadia reluctantly agreed. Unfortunately for her, she became pregnant with twins. The bright side was that they were identical twin boys, but the down side was that that meant they ended up with five children.

“Oh, I think we’ve got a while to go before we get to them,” Michael laughed.

A knock on Sydney’s hospital door interrupted their soft laughs. Michael looked towards the door just as nine-year-old Penny stuck her head in. “Uncle Mike, Will’s driving us crazy out here; he wants to see his little sister.”

“You can bring him in,” Michael said with a soft laugh. His four-year-old son had been even more excited than he at the prospect of a little baby sister, which surprised everyone, including his parents.

A moment later, Will walked inside, gripping onto Penny’s hand until he caught sight of his father, at which point he ran over and hugged him around the knees. “Hey buddy, hold on,” Michael said. Using his free arm he lifted Will up to sit on the edge of Sydney’s hospital bed. Then, he crouched down so that Will could see into the bundle of blankets he held. “Look Will, this is your sister.”

Cautiously, Will reached his hand over and touched the baby’s hand. “What’s her name?” Will asked.

“She doesn’t have one yet. Your mother is still deciding,” Michael said with a slight eye roll towards his wife.

“It’s an important decision! I’ve narrowed it down to two,” Sydney sighed.

“Which two?” Will asked.

“Megan or Charlotte,” Sydney told him.

Will grimaced at the second name. “Megan,” he said.

“I think I’d have to agree,” Michael told her.

Sydney opened her eyes and reached out for the bundle of blankets that held their child. Michael passed the baby back to her and Sydney sighed. “You really think she looks like a Megan?”

“I do,” Michael smiled.

“Okay, Megan it is then,” Sydney smiled.

Michael leaned down and kissed her and then kissed the forehead of his little girl. “It’s perfect,” he sighed.

thanks for reading everyoen :hug:
tomorrow there will be a new fic -Fear of Flying - but i think i'm going to try posting it "pirvately" on OI...but that shouldn't be a problem bc i think almost all of you are members. You just have to remmber to go there ;)

make sure u remind me to go there
coz i seriosuly will forget
but yay will and megan
she has kids
but lmao weiss has 5
thats masssive
great fic janet

i'm very glad sydney finally changed her mind. :D
And they got two kids, how awesome.
I love how your end your fics, it's always happy and all. ^_^

Aw, great!

As I said, I really liked this fic. And I think you challenged yourself here, you wrote some pretty different things. Like the miscarriage for instance, I may be wrong but I don't think you had done such a level of sadness happen just in the middle of the fic, kind of out of nowhere. You had done miscarriage before but it was like the whole fic was about it, so it's not the same thing.

Great story!

Back