Politics Changes in Serious Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kewii

April 27th
Hey guys,

It's been decided that Serious Discussion needs more attention.

For this reason I'm now the mod in charge of Serious Discussion. I'm not looking to change anything. Basically all I want is to stop the rude and flamatory comments that are occurring in several topics and main stream topics a bit.

If something starts getting off-topic I will direct you to start a new thread or to take the discussion to another topic. I appreciate it if you follow those directions.

If you have any problems with any posts please contact me, so I can handle it, instead of just reporting the post--as that makes the message go to all team members.

If you have any questions, please ask.

Kewii

Can I ask why do you believe in God thread was closed?

And about the rude comments, in the most part, nothing needs to happen, as when you offend someone and they tell you people generally apologise.

A bit of name-calling or a snide remark is going to happen on such passionate subjects.

yes, everyobne discussing in the God thread loved to do that, so WHY closing it? I think that was mean, we didn't break any rules, just loved to discuss, and noone was ever offended.. I'm actually sad you closed it

The team made the decision that this forum needs more attention.

Just because people apologize after saying rude things does not make it acceptable.

The God thread is going to be re-opened.

I'm sorry you dislike my presence here so much, but too bad. You just have to deal with it.

I agree with Kewii, some comments were getting extremely rude, I actually stopped visiting this part of the forum because of the rude comments people made about other's opinions. I hope that things will change now that people are being closely watched. (y) great idea AA team.

Ok we shouldn't be rude, but in the heat of the moment, I don't want to see the quality of debate diminish.

noggi16 said:
Ok we shouldn't be rude, but in the heat of the moment, I don't want to see the quality of  debate diminish.
[post="1407897"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

exactly.. that's why we love to debate... but we try not to offend anyone and I don't think anyone is offended.

quality of debate has nothing to do with insults.

I'm not here to censor opinions. I'm just here to make sure people can express their opinions without being rude.

IMO, and many others, insulting people only makes the writer look stupid and detracts from their argument anyway.

I'm sorry you dislike my presence here so much, but too bad. You just have to deal with it.

:lol: I love you, Kewii! :kiss:

A bit of name-calling or a snide remark is going to happen on such passionate subjects.

Which is acceptable, if you're in third grade. :smiley:

*leaves before Kewii catches her*

Kewii said:
I'm not here to censor opinions.  I'm just here to make sure people can express their opinions without being rude.
[post="1407900"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
hmm...we'll see, but i must say, of all the forums i visit, this one does seem to be the most "censor-happy" (no offense). i don't understand why, if a thread naturally addresses a topic in addition to the main topic, it can't also be discussed (i.e. do you believe in god thread). anyway just my opinion...

I've already explained why I will ask people to move their topics to different threads.

The reason is to make it easier for the people coming into the forum to find things to discuss to find what they want to discuss.

There's no reason that someone who wants to talk about same-sex marriage should have to dig through the 'do you believe in god' thread.

The moving to another thread isn't about the poster, but it's to keep the forum organized so it will attract more people.

To be honest, if I wasn't modding this forum, I would never even look in the 'Do you believe in God' thread.

And if this forum seems 'censor happy' it's because people are complaining about the things that are being said and the mods are being messaged to come in and fix it. That's why it was decided this forum needs more attention. People are being offended by some of the things that are said.

kewii

You can discuss same-sex marriage--*gas, shock* that's actually the title of this thread.
I will not have the thread become a flame war over America because of one article.

I didn't know where to put this as I didn't want to take a topic even further off thread but I don't think there was any danger of that happening. Compared to the much more liberal attitude in Europe (in general) I think it is peritant for people to know that not all churchs have this attitude and there is a very different view in other parts of the world.

I am slightly worried topics will not be allowed to devolp fully as the posts aren't immediatly connected with the thread titile despite being a natural evolution.

I have allowed threads to go off topic and I will continue to allow threads to 'pursue the topic fully'.

But as I have said several times now--is when a discussion has been introduced that is the topic of another thread, I want the discussion in there.

It is not limiting the discussion at all, merely directing it to the proper place.

The only topics I will shut down are those that are going to bring nothing but flames. Saying that only America can have such closed-minded people is not going to bring any worthwhile discussion and is only going to offend a lot of people.

When I said not to discuss America I meant not to discuss it in the way that it would bring flames. Of course people are free to discuss the laws of different cultures and countries. But attacking one country just for the viewpoint of one article is out of line.

Thats all I have to say.

from the same-sex thread:

Kewii said:
You can discuss same-sex marriage--*gas, shock* that's actually the title of this thread.
I will not have the thread become a flame war over America because of one article.
[post="1414088"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
it's not a flame war, and sex-dwarf has a point. of the developed countries, America seems to have the most intolerant people - and i'm an American saying that. when you start censoring and limiting debate to such a great degree, as i see being done on this forum, you also limit intelligent discussion of ideas. some of these topics are very emotional topics, and a small degree of "flames" are to be expected. it doesn't mean the entire discussion is worthless. it's silly, in my humble (and useless, i suppose) opinion to start shutting down threads left and right.

Really, people, arguing with a mod is not going to help. She's stated her reasons. Several times. If you don't agree, just don't post. Problem solved.

small degree of "flames" are to be expected

As per AA rules, flames are unacceptable for any reason. Flaming a person in a debate makes things personal and proves that there is no other way to refute comments, meaning that the debate is over.

"Serious Discussion" should stay as named. Flaming shows immaturity and desperation, neither of which fit that description.

Compared to the much more liberal attitude in Europe (in general)

Arguing on a US-based forum for a US-based television show on the superiority of Europe has no place here - since what unites all of us is a love for an American product. And furthermore, constantly degrading America by implication of such comments shows open disdain of the television show - and if that's true, why post at all?

Kewii, darlin', you have my complete adoration for all you're doing here. Keep it up!

I must admit, I have been staying away from Serious Discussion recently because I was fed up with the snide remarks and personal attacks.

However, while personal attacks shouldn't be allowed, there is no point in pretending everything in the world is wonderful. I have noticed on a lot of boards with a large American presence that people start restricting what you are allowed to say when people make negative comments about America.

Now I don't know what has gone on recently because I haven't been around, but I hope that we still be allowed to argue our points with facts - regardless of whether or not they support George Bush - as long as what we say is true.

Kewii, this isn't directed at you. It's just that I have left other boards because people got upset that we were making political statements they didn't agree with.

Natalia said:
I must admit, I have been staying away from Serious Discussion recently because I was fed up with the snide remarks and personal attacks.

However, while personal attacks shouldn't be allowed, there is no point in pretending everything in the world is wonderful. I have noticed on a lot of boards with a large American presence that people start restricting what you are allowed to say when people make negative comments about America.

Now I don't know what has gone on recently because I haven't been around, but I hope that we still be allowed to argue our points with facts - regardless of whether or not they support George Bush - as long as what we say is true.

Kewii, this isn't directed at you. It's just that I have left other boards because people got upset that we were making political statements they didn't agree with.
[post="1414695"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
:lol: I don't think that it matters if its directed at her or not condsidering that she's Canadian. :lol:
--Mandy :angelic:

I fail to see where Kewii ordered everyone to only make posts about how incredibly kickass America is. She merely requested for people to stay on topics as they were titled, and to not personally attack the person making comments you may disagree with. That's what a moderator does, and she's doing a wonderful job.

ETA: And not only is she Canadian, she's liberal! This conservative (ie: me) can't help but wonder why people are accusing her of bias, of all people. Guess that means she's staying impartial. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back