Politics Changes in Serious Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jinnie said:
I fail to see where Kewii ordered everyone to only make posts about how incredibly kickass America is. She merely requested for people to stay on topics as they were titled, and to not personally attack the person making comments you may disagree with. That's what a moderator does, and she's doing a wonderful job.

ETA: And not only is she Canadian, she's liberal! This conservative (ie: me) can't help but wonder why people are accusing her of bias, of all people. Guess that means she's staying impartial. ;)
[post="1414699"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
No, I didn't say that. But I have seen on other boards where this can lead. It often get so the point where it feels like you have to Gestapo breathing down your neck.

And my comment was in reference to other posts - hence why I said it wasn't directed at Kewii.

:Ponder:

I think I might continue to argue my points esewhere from now on.

No, I didn't say that. But I have seen on other boards where this can lead. It often get so the point where it feels like you have to Gestapo breathing down your neck.

Well, AA isn't other boards. ;) We're so much better!

If a staff actually moderating feels like Big Brother is watching, that means we're all doing the jobs Charlie wanted us for. In short, that's a big compliment. :smiley: A staff moderating should only be intimidating to those who have reason to know they're troublemakers.

By stepping in for Serious Discussion, Kewii is actually doing y'all a favor by insuring healthy debate continues, and curbing the rude immaturity which has caused many to leave this section entirely. If anything, those who love debate owe her thanks.

Jinnie said:
If a staff actually moderating feels like Big Brother is watching, that means we're all doing the jobs Charlie wanted us for. In short, that's a big compliment. :smiley: A staff moderating should only be intimidating to those who have reason to know they're troublemakers.
[post="1414711"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
wow, if your goal is to be like Big Brother, then...just wow. you're succeeding.

Can I put things in a different prespective?

We don't want to be Nazis here, we want to have a intellectual, smooth running forum where everyone can debate in an environment without fear of being flamed. That is why this forum was created in the first place. It's fine to debate over certain issues but when things become personal, when you feel there's a need to take a jab at someone's country, or beliefs, or just that person themselves, it becomes not okay. What Kewii is trying to do is to help everyone feel comfortable here. Threads arn't being closed left and right, she's just directing proper discussions into proper threads. It's okay to digress from time to time but when things go off topic for say more than a page, it's an indication that maybe it could be discussed else where.

Our goal, by keeping a closer eye on this forum, is not to censor or dictate the direction of debate (because trust me, if Jinnie wanted to, she could go kamakazee on everyone. :Ph34r: ) but to make this comfortable for everyone. Digression is important to put discussion into prespective but too much makes it confusing. Good debating requires everyone to be calm and rational, and the main reason why a Quick Reply button wasn't created in this forum is so that everyone can think before they type. If someone's throwing a flame at you, ignore it, don't quote the flaming part and instead get back on topic. Remember, this isn't meant to be personal. ;)

--mandy :angelic:

Well, I want to say thanks to mandy and Jinnie for stepping in here for me ^_^ (they like me even though they pick on me )

I'm not going to stop you from discussing anything reasonably. And for the last time the reason that the discussion on America was stopped in the same-sex marriage thread was because the comment that was made was flame-baiting and I was sure nothing good would come of it.

As Jinnie also stated I am liberal and I am Canadian.

You can talk about American policies, you can talk about specific people in America, what I will not allow is an attack on an entire nation because of one specific viewpoint.

I wouldn't let anyone do that about any country.

If you want to talk about how intolerant America is, then you can do that. But as I said, that one post was inappropriate. The member had a problem with an article that had been written and decided that only America could create a person like that.

That is an inappropriate comment.

There's really nothing else to say.

I'm here to encourage intelligent debate. Flames will not be permitted and if I see an area where flames may start, I'm going to stop the discussion from going in that direction.

That's all.

Kewii

Kewii said:
Well, I want to say thanks to mandy and Jinnie for stepping in here for me ^_^ (they like me even though they pick on me )

I'm not going to stop you from discussing anything reasonably.  And for the last time the reason that the discussion on America was stopped in the same-sex marriage thread was because the comment that was made was flame-baiting and I was sure nothing good would come of it.

As Jinnie also stated I am liberal and I am Canadian.

You can talk about American policies, you can talk about specific people in America, what I will not allow is an attack on an entire nation because of one specific viewpoint.

I wouldn't let anyone do that about any country.

If you want to talk about how intolerant America is, then you can do that.  But as I said, that one post was inappropriate.  The member had a problem with an article that had been written and decided that only America could create a person like that.

That is an inappropriate comment.

There's really nothing else to say.

I'm here to encourage intelligent debate.  Flames will not be permitted and if I see an area where flames may start, I'm going to stop the discussion from going in that direction.

That's all.

Kewii
[post="1415109"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

What ever gave you the idea that my post was specifically directed at the US, i made a 'flipant' comment , which was 'only in america', i believe you took my post out of context. Anyway i was very very angry about that article.

This is exactly what you said:

That just makes me sick to my stomach, that kind of vitriol could come only from America

I'm not sure how that can be taken out of context, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Being angry does not excuse inappropriate and flammatory comments.

That is it.

This matter is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back