Fantasy Charlie & the Chocolate Factory (2005)

I have been a fan of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory since I was little. I read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory a million and one times. I love it. Now this film is coming out, and while I trust that Johnny Depp's eccentricity (as seen in POTC) would fit Mr. Willy Wonka the chocolate maker......I would hate to go and see the new one and be disappointed. Everyone I have heard from said it is really good....but I am still a bit scard.

^^^ Don't be scared... I am a huge fan of the original and the book and went in with the same attitude as you.... It ended up being 10X better than I had expected....

I love both the origional movie and this one so much! They're different in so many ways. (I have to say i like the songs in the first one a bit more) but both are amazing in my opinion.

Everything here is eatable. I'm eatable, but that my children is called cannibalism and it is frowned upon in most societies.
~Willy Wonka

Tee hee hee sorry i had to get that out... im not sure why i put it in spoiler tags either... hmmm

the movie was great. I loved it when the omppa lompas would start to sing and dance, even though my friend thought they were a little scary

When my mom saw the trailer she just saw Johnny's face...and she was like.... crossdresser?!? :confused:

But I wanna see this movie deathly bad (y)

shakila said:
the movie was great. I loved it when the omppa lompas would start to sing and dance, even though my friend thought they were a little scary
[post="1428488"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

they were great (y)

btw did u know that they only used one person for all the Oompa Loompas??? what editing can do ;)

I saw this today. HILARIOUS. I loved it. Johnny Depp was teh man. He just rocked. I don't care if people say he acted all Michael Jackson-ish, he was still kickass!!! All of those one liners! And the Oompa-Loompa songs. Everything. Great movie.

OK, I finally saw it. Here's my take on it

I was extremely skeptical about how Johnny Depp was going to portray this role. I felt that by the looks of trailers, clips, etc, that he was going way too over the top. I knew that Willy Wonka was supposed to be wacky (semi sweet and a little nutty, right?) but I felt that he should have been more controlled. I couldn't have been more wrong. Every second that Johnny Depp was on the screen, I couldn't help but smile. His attitude, even the voice was much better in the movie that in the previews. He lifted the movie to a much higher level than if he had been controlled. I loved every second that he was on the screen.

Charlie Bucket was casted almost perfectly, much better than the original. The grandparents were absolutely adorable, especially Grandma Georgina (I like grapes!). The kids were revoltingly delicious, and cast a good contrast to Charlie.

The Oompa-Loompas may have been the only thing that REALLY got to me. After the first song, I was absolutely ANNOYED by all of their songs. In fact at one point at the end, I had closed my eyes and covered my ears to block out their songs. It was just too much.

The cinematography was beautiful, the Edible Fields were stunning, the River of Chocolate Ride was fantastic, and each room was whimsically unique.

SLIGHT SPOILERS TO THE MOVIE:
I felt that the history of Willy Wonka was a wonderful addition to the movie. I really liked how the portrayed his dark childhood and I love how it played out in the end, where he finally realized the real meaning of family and spent it with the Buckets. In fact the last shot of the snowy, crooked house in the fields in the factory was heartwarming.

So, my final thought. It was a wonderful film, and would have been better without the annoying intervention of the Oompa-Loompas every 15 minutes.

**** / *****

Charlie Bucket was casted almost perfectly, much better than the original.

Thats absurd....and no, I dont need to back that claim up. Why? because Im better than everyone.

------

I dont want to see this movie. Whats with the slew of remakes? I DONT need my childhood memories re packed and sold back to me for 10 bucks. I have fond memories of the 1971 version and Johnny Depp is no Gene Wilder...

I must agree with Gendo :smiley:o) about Highmore. Mreeehhhh. :ermm: Especially if you're pitting him against the original Charlie. There's no contest (the original is better :P).

someone agreeing with Gendo? at AA?...well thats a first

I see boyscout4747 has no real response either :cool:

score one for the...other guy!

just saw this movie last week and really enjoyed it. :smiley:

sure it never needed to be remade but then it's nice for kids today to get to go to the movies and see it on the big screen.

the umpalumpas were so funny and i didnt realise for ages that it was just one guy computer generated. :lol: the synchronized swimming was hilaious!!

but yeah the original is best (when isn't it ;) )

I saw this movie in IMAX format last Monday and didn't want it to end. I will definitely buy it on DVD. I've seen the original when I was little and I've read the book and Charlie and the Glass Elevator in when I was in 4th/5th grade.

To whoever it may concern since I missed the 1st minute of the movie, is there anything interesting done to the WB logo at the beginning like having it look like chocolate or something? I remember Mars Attacks! had spaceships around the logo.

Back