Charlie's Angels, the TV remake

I'm writing about tonight's Charlie's Angel's. I can confirm that Victor Garber of 'Alias' is indeed the voice of Charles "Charlie" Townsend, the owner of 'Townsend Investigations'. He's using his 'documentaries' narrator voice.

This version of Charlie's Angels is serious. No campiness of it's predecessors.

So far, they aren't throwing us uncalled for situations where the girls need to be wearing provocative clothes or using sex to advance their investigations. So the chances of requiring requiring the girls to go under cover as swimsuit models, strippers or hookers seems to be remote - not that there's anything wrong with seeing some female skin. ;)

So I'm going to predict that the show will be along the lines of "Alias" but without Rambaldi, useless Naughn characters, nor family problems. :cool:

I like watching women as action figures as long as they are presented convincingly. The amount of skin that Angels reveals is irrelevant. ;)

SIO REVIEW

Action review: Unconvincing fast cutaways is a sign that the actors & actresses are incapable of doing choreographed fights like Jennifer Garner can. Use of nonlethal violence in taking down enemies worked. The lengths to which TV's "The A-Team" went to have nonlethal violence was always unconvincing. 👅

'Charlie' seems to be more than a useless voice over the Speaker phone in this re-imagination of Charles Townsend. No sign that he is a playboy. I'm sure that Victor wouldn't take on a role that is beneath him. So no fluff likely.

Annie Ilonzeh as Kate Prince, a former Miami cop. She's okay, but lacks star quality. She had an unconvincing scene where she knocks down a door. Probably because she so slim. Why not cast Merrin Dungey instead.

Rachael Taylor as Abigail "Abby" Sampson, a thief/cat burglar; pretty blonde. She's an Australian, but she seems to be playing American. When she plays angry, I don't sense the danger. I admit that I'd rather see Rachel Nichols take her place. :love:

Minka Kelly as Eve French, a street racer, I guess that she'll be the mission driver. She had the best role of the 3 Angels.

Ramon Rodriguez as John Bosley. Rather than being a portly middle-aged office manager, we now have a 30-ish athletic build computer hacker. This give this Bosley a reason to be on missions that David Doyle's and Bill Murray's Bosley couldn't justify.

This episode had a good scene of tricking a bad guy (in this case a bad girl) into revealing information like TV's Mission Impossible would. Thumbs up.

Bad news, Victor fans. ABC-TV has cancelled the new Charlie's Angels after only 4 weeks. :blink:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainmen...ZPkL_story.html
Low-rated ‘Charlie’s Angels’ reboot grounded by ABC after just 4 airings
By Associated Press, Published: October 14

NEW YORK — ABC says its revamped version of the 1970s hit “Charlie’s Angels” is being shut down after only four airings because of low ratings.

The network said Friday that four more episodes remain to be aired. The action series focused on three female detectives in Miami.

But the reboot has struggled in the ratings since its premiere last month. It’s ABC’s first cancellation of the new fall season.

The original “Charlie’s Angels” aired for six seasons on ABC and launched one of its angels, Farrah Fawcett, as a major star. More recently, two feature films were also produced.

http://ca.eonline.com/news/watch_with_kris...s_Reboot/269513
Sorry, Charlie! ABC Cancels Charlie's Angels Reboot

Today 12:00 PM PDT by Jenna Mullins

t's the circle of TV life: Shows get renewed, and then shows get canceled.

Reps for ABC confirm to E! News that Charlie's Angels has been canceled after four episodes. However, if you enjoyed the episodes that did air, there is a bit of silver lining in store for you…

MORE: Grey's Anatomy Redux: Debbie Allen Comes to Seattle Grace and Nothing Hurts

While production has officially shut down, episodes that have already been filmed will continue to air on Thursday nights in its 8 p.m. time slot until ABC decides what will replace Charlie's Angels.

Marco Siega, executive producer and director of Angels, tweeted this photo earlier today as his reaction to the news. Spirit-shattering, no?

The Drew Barrymore-produced remake starring Minka Kelly, Rachael Taylor and Annie Ilonzeh failed to bring in competitive ratings against The X-Factor on Fox and NBC's Thursday night lineup of comedy. Last night's episode did see a slight climb in ratings, but clearly it wasn't enough for the network to keep it running.

Charlie's Angels joins other victims Free Agents (NBC), The Playboy Club (NBC), How to Be a Gentleman (CBS) and H8R (CW) in this season's Fall TV graveyard. Which show do you think will be next to get the boot?

Back