Chat (NOT a one parter~ lol)

Chat

~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:

>>Addiction and Interruption<<

It all started a month ago. And now she is addicted.

She scans the lines that pop up on the screen almost hungrily, wanting to merge, needing to become, the desire to change throbbing deep inside her heart. She never takes a part in the discussions. She would taint them.

So she only observes, a tiny name on the list of people, forever observing, forever wishing. Hoping against hope that her cell phone or pager won’t call her away from this façade of life that she pretends to have. Normal life.

“Sydney… sometimes I just don’t understand how you can do this.” Michael shook his head, a grin splaying across his face. “You must have at least nine lives because that- that was absolutely incredible.”

She tried to smile and share the enthusiasm that seemingly seared through his body but couldn’t; she was drained, tired, and couldn’t take looking at something that she wasn’t allowed to have, to touch, or even to hold. Life seemed so far away and forbidden fruits were the last thing that she needed.

“—seriously Sydney. That was amazing. You’re a phoenix, Syd. You’re a f****** phoenix.” He laughed and then hugged her, the sudden force of the contact surprising her and bringing her back, vitalizing her for one moment before the realization that she couldn’t have this man, that he was untouchable to her, reached the very depths of her soul and she froze.

“Sydney? Is something the matter?” He’s serious now and she knows that he too is fighting to keep control. She can feel his breath against her ear and she closes her eyes, wishing that it could be simple… wishing that all she had to do was touch his cheek to make him understand.

But she can’t.

“I’m just tired Vaughn. I’m gonna go.”

---you’re a f****** phoenix Sydney. That’s what you are. A bird that lives and lives and lives, burns up, is born again from the ashes, and lives and lives and lives. Destined to forever be alone unless there’s another phoenix out there looking too. Another f****** phoenix—

That was when it started. She got home and turned on the computer out of habit before she realized that she has nothing to work out, that for her accomplishment, she had been given a night off.

And so, with a yearning inside of her to look into normal lives, to talk- no not to talk- to listen… for all the same reasons she liked to watch the people at the train station, she entered the chatroom.

BleedingPhoenix.

~:~

The soft ringing noise strikes her ears and she is confused for a moment before realizing what it is. Someone is talking to her. She should stop right now because her control is going to waver and she’s going to end up like all the teenagers who are addicted to chatrooms but she can’t because after a month of observation, someone who doesn’t know who she is wants to talk to her.

And she feels wanted.

Because the person on the other side thinks she normal and that is the one thing that wants desperately to be.

peoplesay: you never speak

BleedingPhoenix: excuse me?

peoplesay: i see you all the time. you're always there. but you never say anything.

BleedingPhoenix: maybe I don’t have anything to say

peoplesay: everyone has something to say. everyone needs an ally

“You might think you’re alone in this. Like you don’t have an ally. I’m your ally. Never forget that.”

She’s frozen.

BleedingPhoenix: Why do you care?

peoplesay: I’m curious as to why you do it and I’ve been thinking about it for awhile, analyzing you. It’s an interesting hobby.

BleedingPhoenix: i don’t want to be analyzed.

peoplesay: I could tell. Here’s what I think anyway. I think that you feel lost. like you’re alone. so you pretend you’re somebody else.

You’re alone in this. You don’t have an ally.

BleedingPhoenix: then why are you talking to me?

peoplesay: you intrigue me. And I think I like you.

She’s confused. This isn’t what’s supposed to happen. She’s not supposed to undergo some thing to find herself… she’s trying to—she doesn’t even know what she’s trying to do.

BleedingPhoenix: You’re wrong. I’m not trying to be anybody.

peoplesay: fine. but you’re sure as hell not being yourself.

BleedingPhoenix: I could be being myself. How could you know?

peoplesay: because of what you do. You lurk. you disguise yourself because you think that otherwise, someone will hurt you.

BleedingPhoenix: you don’t know anything. Maybe I’m nothing. I hurt others, not the other way around.

peoplesay: i may not know anything but nobody’s nothing

BleedingPhoenix: you should stop talking to me. I’ll probably end up destroying your life.

peoplesay: I can’t stop.

BleedingPhoenix: why not

peoplesay: because you’re bleeding.

She shuddered before she went to sleep that night.

TBC…

Umm… I’m not sure what this is. If you figure it out, can you please tell me? The idea for the beginning and the end just came to me and it’s pretty easy to guess the entire storyline and resolution but it’s kinda creepy to me.

Hoping it’s just me~

Hope it isn’t too terrible.

-Jenn

Moriel said:
It's creepy, but I like it

~Moriel
i know i know :blush:

but i promise it gets less creepy and more angsty/interesting soon... everywhere else I've posted it, the first chapter like mehbehehhhh (it was for me too) but now it's almost 30 chapters and going strong and i promise you that the tone changes a bunch.

:blush:

Chat

~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~~:~:~:~:~:~~:~:~:~:~:~:~

wow, thanks so much for the response… nice to know that it wasn’t too creepy

She can’t help but wonder whether he will be online today. She was never one to get sucked up in the world of the internet but ever since her discovery of extreme normalcy that went on continuously under her nose, she couldn’t help herself. And now that someone has tagged her, identified her, analyzed her… she isn’t sure how she feels about that.

He’s not online. She thinks that she should have been relieved that he’s not here so that she can continue…spying –always spying- on the lives of others. She had thought that she was invisible. No one had noticed bleedingphoenix before.

At first, she was glad.

But now she knows that the little trill that runs through her body is actually one of regret and disappointment. The idea of a man wanting to uncover her secrets with no idea of what secrets they may be is appealing to her.

And Fate complies, perhaps for the only time in her life, and she sees his name blink onto the list suddenly… as quickly as it had sprung into her life.

She waits tersely, wavering in silent conflict. Wait for him. Make the first move. I told him I didn’t want to be analyzed. But I want to be talked to. Talk first… he said he likes you. No, I want him to talk first. I could but I want him to. That’s the point.

peoplesay: let me guess. you came online specifically in hopes that you would see me.

She had to laugh.

BleedingPhoenix: cocky

peoplesay: so i hear

peoplesay: so what’s your name anyway?

She’s a little too quick to answer, a little too insistent in her reply but it is sincere. She doesn’t want this to be real.

BleedingPhoenix: NO

BleedingPhoenix: no names. ever.

peoplesay: when are you going to learn to open yourself up?

BleedingPhoenix: i doubt that you would be the person I would choose to release the torrents of my soul even if I want to. why should I let you in

peoplesay: because you want to. because it’s easier to do it when there aren’t names involved… I’m guessing that that’s why you want things to remain nameless. there are things easier said when the other person is not going to judge, aren’t there?

BleedingPhoenix: you’re not exactly a familiar person and I would like to inform you that your insistent attitude and persistent probing into my life is actually kind of scary.

peoplesay: would you like to start over?

She laughs. How can you start over when there is no beginning? Like… like with Vaughn… that didn’t really have a beginning either. That had irritated her, mostly because they had both wanted to be in charge… with him being right. As he always was.

SYDNEY: You said you wanted to talk about the plan. I'm giving you the plan.

VAUGHN: It's not your job to give me the plan. I'm giving you the plan. Tomorrow's your first day back at SD-6. Now, nothing should change. When you get your assignment, you'll detail your mission on a paper bag. Bag. Then you'll call this number. Memorize it. After three tones, press the appropriate digit -- one through six. Each corresponds to a trash can in a specific location. Now we'll review your information, create a countermission, and we'll contact you posing as a wrong number. Joey's Pizza. Any questions, so far?

SYDNEY: Yeah. Can you show me what a bag looks like again?

But thinking about Vaughn makes her heart hurt.

Thinking about Vaughn is what got her addicted to normalcy in the first place.

BleedingPhoenix: I don’t think we ever really began, stalker

peoplesay: stalker? What ever happened to Samaritan?

Her brow furrows.

BleedingPhoenix: if you think I’m just some sort of project… I’m not a weak person.

peoplesay: you’re not invincible either

BleedingPhoenix: why are you pretending that you know me? you don’t know me at all and I don’t see how you can presume to know a person’s entire personality merely because they haven’t felt like talking in chat rooms. I might have been constipated in the bathroom for all you knew.

peoplesay: every day for a month? that’s some bad constipation. Here’s some advice: whatever you’re eating, stop eating it.

She has to suppress her smile then and when she realizes that her cheeks hurt, she knows that it’s been too long since her last smile… her last facial expression even.

God she wished she had a reason to smile.

BleedingPhoenix: funny.

peoplesay: my one good quality I’m afraid. Everything else about me, I’ve been told, is creepy.

BleedingPhoenix: you have to admit that this is a strange… relationship

peoplesay: to clear things up, I’m not a stalker, liar, prostitute, God, Satan, an alcoholic, a druggie, mentally challenged, or out to get you. I promise.

BleedingPhoenix: or you could be a liar and lying.

peoplesay: do you think I’m lying?

Does she?

peoplesay: wow.. taking a long time to answer. I’m hurt.

BleedingPhoenix: I don’t have a good enough base of your character.

peoplesay: go with instinct

She isn’t even sure if she can trust her instincts anymore

BleedingPhoenix: then no. I don’t think you’re lying. But you should know that my instincts are just about shot to hell.

peoplesay: yeah mine too.

There’s a lull in the conversation and she wants to talk again because she discovers that in engaging in this, she has become normal. Not just pretending to be or spying on the normal. But one of them.

BleedingPhoenix: so… what do people say?

peoplesay: oh god. i was wondering when that was going to come up. Can I just bury myself right now?

And that does it. She’s smiling. She feels engaged, involved, someone is about to tell her something that embarrasses him and feeling confided in is delicious. She can see now how frustrated Francie was. Great friend she turned out to be.

BleedingPhoenix: No. you have to tell me. i can’t wait

peoplesay: how bout I just tell you that it was a drunken drunken night?

BleedingPhoenix: hmm… I’ll let you off the hook now but the story will come out sooner or later.

peoplesay: I’m sure it will.

She pauses.

BleedingPhoenix: By the way, I’m glad you’re not God.

TBC…

Review please~

Back