Cheating

Have you guys ever cheated? Ever helped a friend cheat? How often do people cheat at your school?

At my middle school last year (i'm in HS now), cheating was so common! People would meet before school, get together in a group, and exchange homework...someone would keep watch, looking for an administator and warning the rest of us, should one come by. For example, last year, our history teacher assigned a 100 question thing, and i had only completed about 5 questions. since it was due that day, people were looking for others who had that class and then exchanging answers. people had done pretty much none of the questions, but together everyone was able to get the 100 questions done. This is how homework was everyday...didnt feel like doing it? Come to school early, or give up your lunch/nutrition and find someone who had that class too. You could also do your hw in class too, that's what i did. i asked around for homework before the bell and and just did it while the teacher was talking...I copied probably half of my math hw from other people that year. i did well on the tests, i just didnt feel like doing the math hw, and i knew i could get the answers. In science, if we had a lab to do, one kid did it, and the rest of us just took their answers. Certain teachers had laxer rules about tests, and everyone knew who's class you could cheat on a test in, and get away with it. People carefully angled their test towards the person who need the answers...people whispered the answers. "Pens" were passed, when they had
a note carefully placed in it...I cheated on several tests...no kids cared. Everyone helped everyone else. I cannot tell you how many times I gave my hw to someone else to copy, and they'd walk by my desk with a bunch of papers and casually drop it there if they couldnt get it to me any sooner. Info was written on small pieces of paper and used, and i did that...it was easy. And this is with us in an accelerated program. I know one of our teachers suspected, but she didnt do anything...there was just so much cheating going on...

I was reading this article and thats how i got the idea for this thread...In there, it said some students cheating by putting the info for a test on a water bottle's label and sticking it back on...i cant help but think what a good idea that is...just keep the bottle near you.

anyways, i dont cheat anymore...i rarely do now.

sometimes i cheat ... i look at the answers of people around me, i have a friend print out 2 copies of the answers, i type up the things i need to know and print it out, then but it up my sleave for the test, write answers in code on my hand, write answers on my shoe, put answers on a sheet of paper and drop it on the ground a ways a way from me, just so that i can see it, but it doesn't look like it's mine.

i don't cheat that often, and its usually right before class with homework, not tests. unless i really didn't study, or didn't have time.
i think it's wrong, but it's just a part of society.

I've never cheated on a test or on homework or anything. To me, it's just completely wrong, and since that's what I believe, I'm not going to be a hypocrite and cheat anyways. I'd rather earn my B or C or whatever than cheat and get an A. I know that in HS, some people cheated off of me during tests, but I didn't rat on them... they were only hurting themselves. EVERYONE cheated at my HS... it made me sick.

Sorry to sound so pissed about this... but cheating really irks me to no end. It just ruins things for everyone else.

Existentialist said:
I've never cheated on a test or on homework or anything. To me, it's just completely wrong, and since that's what I believe, I'm not going to be a hypocrite and cheat anyways. I'd rather earn my B or C or whatever than cheat and get an A. I know that in HS, some people cheated off of me during tests, but I didn't rat on them... they were only hurting themselves. EVERYONE cheated at my HS... it made me sick.

Sorry to sound so pissed about this... but cheating really irks me to no end. It just ruins things for everyone else.
:P
that's how i felt until i started failing science. i studied so much and still couldn't keep up. it was just an option i had to take.

I can't stand cheating. You can't possibly actually learn the material by cheating. I focus most of my life on school so I don't really ever feel the need to cheat.

Honestly, I don't praise cheating, but it's basically how well you know yourself. I mean sometimes if I understand something we do in school and homework is kinda like a review or a paper where you apply your knowledge, we "copy" eachother's papers in the morning if we didn't feel like doing it. I mean why waste time to do extra practice if you already understand something. And I'm saying this from the point-of-view of someone who consistently gets straight A's.

truthtakestime47 said:
I can't stand cheating. You can't possibly actually learn the material by cheating. I focus most of my life on school so I don't really ever feel the need to cheat.
actually, you can ... in my oppinion copying down the work is a way of learning, and for my learning style, copying down the work is a better way to learn it instead of listening a teacher say it, or finding it in a book.

thats the homework part. i dont cheat on tests anymore. it's too easy to get caught.

All the time...not because I'm stupid, because I'm lazy. We don't exactly cheat-cheat but if there are like several parts to the homework, I may split it up with a friend so I only do half.

My lab report is a free for all every friday morning. It's 7 AM...15 minutes to lab...I'm sitting in front of my locker sipping tea, complaining that it's way to early to be using hydrochloric acid and there's a mob copying my lab.

I just technically cheated today. I have connections...(a friend who took the test the day before) and she happened to copy down the essay questions for me. Do I actully do anything...no I only took some time to figure out which one I was going to do since there were 9 choices, and I'm one of those people that deliberate over what to do. 40 minutes...minimum of three pages written...not enough time to take an eternity to figure out which one I will do. It was just subtly comforting that I chose something the night before. I mean he could honestly have gave us the sheet...but the people with no life would have started writing it at home, even with their 4 hours of homework.

As for copying off someone on a test, I never do that. Sink or swim...

Cheat? on tests no. but I wouldn't excatly call trading homework answers cheating. Well it's cheating you out of you because you wouldn't be knowing all the things but if it's a last minute thing and you completely forgot then eh *shrugs* I sometimes share my answers or ask for some answers. Just in math though. Not because I can't do it. Just that it takes me too long and I get really bored and frustrated ;)
--Mandy :angelic:

that's how i felt until i started failing science. i studied so much and still couldn't keep up. it was just an option i had to take.

Same here...I just couldnt understand it. I basically passed science with an A with the tons of extra credit that i did, and by cheating on tests and hw. I eventually understood some of it, but that was only after we were done with that section.

well, it does sorta help me learn the material. Like, if i have no idea what i'm doing and I just copy the answers, I'm able to look at it and figure out how to do it.

thats the homework part. i dont cheat on tests anymore. it's too easy to get caught.

hmm...it just depends in the teacher.

My lab report is a free for all every friday morning. It's 7 AM...15 minutes to lab...I'm sitting in front of my locker sipping tea, complaining that it's way to early to be using hydrochloric acid and there's a mob copying my lab.

Haha, that's happened to me before...I'm the only one who did the hw and everyone needs it. It gets passed around all day.

See, I wouldn't cheat on a test. That's kinda, well, too much work. :blush: And I've cheated on a quiz twice (once when we can use our notes and borrowed some from a friend, not that it really helped much, and once on a band test and I still feel bad about it.) If copying each other's homework is wrong, then I'm guilty on all counts. In my school, it's kind of like we know that no one is 100% responsible and so if I help you out, then you'll help me out. So far, it's working. Yes, I realize this is the completely wrong mentality, but it works. If my friend lets me borrow their homework, I'm surely going to let them borrow mine. I was completely opposed to that in 6th grade, and I won't copy answers out of the book. For some reason, I just won't stretch that far.

i think letting other people copy down answers on your homework is more helping someone than cheating ...
i let people copy my homework all the time. and i copy other people's homework a lot too. but it's usually not the whole homework, just a few questions that i was too lazy to do, or didn't understand.

Alias_Girl_624 said:
i think letting other people copy down answers on your homework is more helping someone than cheating ...
i let people copy my homework all the time. and i copy other people's homework a lot too. but it's usually not the whole homework, just a few questions that i was too lazy to do, or didn't understand.
In HS, I never let anyone copy my answers... except on the days when I was feeling very blase about everything... but I was always happy to explain anything they didn't understand.

I mean, in math class, we'd help eachother out... we'd share answers. Meaning, we all did the work (since you always had to show like all the steps you took to get the answer), but then we'd compare answers. That way, a group of us were all correct, or completely wrong... either way, we had strength in numbers. :lol: I don't consider that cheating though.

I guess, in a way, homework copying isn't completely cheating... especially in HS, where the majority of it is busywork. But cheating on tests/quizzes... now that's something completely different.

Non-Cheaters make me sick!!!!
Cheating is the best way through life. That is how I get my A's in school, anyone who dosn't cheat in my opion is pretty beat, and way to perfect. These two girls I know never cheat and do anything wrong and they look down on me when I cheat prank call people or what ever. I can't stand people like that and want them all dead. Cheating is a way of life if you don't do i hate to see you in the outside world after school.
:angelic: :angelic: :angelic: :angelic: that me!
Melissa

Melissa said:
Non-Cheaters make me sick!!!!
Cheating is the best way through life. That is how I get my A's in school, anyone who dosn't cheat in my opion is pretty beat, and way to perfect. These two girls I know never cheat and do anything wrong and they look down on me when I cheat prank call people or what ever. I can't stand people like that and want them all dead. Cheating is a way of life if you don't do i hate to see you in the outside world after school.
:angelic: :angelic: :angelic: :angelic: that me!
Melissa
Let me say, for the record, then I'm glad I make you sick. ;) I'm much further along in the "outside world" than you are, I don't cheat, and I'm doing pretty darn good.

Cheating is NOT the best way through life. If you get your As in school just by cheating, then you're not earning them, and when you go to college, where cheating is MUCH harder to get away with, you will burn. I don't know what your school's policy is on cheating, but it must be pretty lenient, if you all get away with that much. In college, though, I will guarentee, the consequences of cheating is much much harsher. I mean, if you cheat on a test, you get an automatic F in the entire course.

You make it sound like cheating is a virtue, which, no offense, is just a bit off. I don't know how you get cheating and prank calling in the same group though... they're 2 different things. Prank calling is just silly and immature. Cheating is dishonest and rude.

Cheating is the easy way through life... until you get caught. And constant cheaters always get caught. And the easy way through life is not always the best.

So you say that cheaters always get caught. I don't believe that's quite true. Some cheaters will fit that always, but not everyone. An intelligent cheater could get away with it for a very long time. And I've seen it happen. :thinking:

i used to think that cheating would never happen to me, but when ur taking that test, its hard not to. i've never cheated on a test, but did you know that if you copy someones hw thats considered cheating too?

Back