children's books

all right, okay, here it is:

feminism and fairy tales.

but be forewarned: it's LONG. which is part of the reason it took me so long to type up. the other part being finals. :angry:

but i am done now, hurrah!! :D

ps... if you really don't want to read all of it, i won't be offended. just read part III, it's the best part. ;)

crazy spinster said:
that movie freaked me out!! those oompa loompas gave me nightmares... :blink:
the oompa loompas didnt freak me out but that tunnel ride did! i still cant watch that scene! :blush:
and yes that is long, but i will read it, because it looks really good! even if it takes me hours, i will read it and thanks for posting it! :D

Wow, crazyspinster, that was amazingly well-written! I'm assuming you're in college, since I noticed on your profile you were born in 1982, but I don't know many fellow college students who write that well. Just out of curiosity, what's your major? (Okay, that sounds like I'm hitting on you. ;) ) I'm a Literature major/ History minor, and I'm a year older than you, but I don't think I could have written that!

I really agree with your perspective, though. We are still living in a basic patriarchal "fairy-tale" paradigm, whether we like it or not. Now it's up to us to change it.... I haven't read Simone de Beauvoir's "The Second Sex" yet, but I've read all four volumes of her autobiography. Have you read "A Room of One's Own" by Virginia Woolf?

Anyway, great paper! Thanks for typing it up! :D

oh, you're welcome for typing it up, but i didn't write it! it was just the paper that i based MY paper on. believe me, i couldn't be that eloquent. but it's nice to know you think i could be. :D

and i'm a psychology major. and even if you were hitting on me, i'd still be flattered. :lol:

and yes, i completely agree with the author's perspective as well. i mean, i did write an entire paper based on her paper. ;) i definitely feel that most women are caught in ambivalence when it comes to fairy tales - on the one hand, yes, fairy tales are wonderful escapist stories and wouldn't it be nice to believe that our prince charming is out there and all we have to do is sit and wait, but on the OTHER hand, it's the 21st century, women are "liberated" (so to speak), why SHOULD we be so docile and complacent? don't get me wrong, i love fairy tales as much as the next girl, it's just the underlying meaning of them that makes me so ambivalent.

crazy spinster @Mar 21 2003 said:
oh, you're welcome for typing it up, but i didn't write it! it was just the paper that i based MY paper on. believe me, i couldn't be that eloquent. but it's nice to know you think i could be. 

Well, that does make a little more sense! :smiley: I was going to say, if you're writing that well as an undergraduate, you should just skip your bachelor's degree and go straight for the Ph.d! Lol.

I was a psychology major for one semester. I was also an anthropology major for one semester, and a philosophy major for one semester. I've changed it a lot, but at least I've had a wide range of classes. But I think I'll have to stick with literature, because I'm almost finished with college and I've already been accepted to a grad school literature program.

Sorry for the :eek:fftopic: . So, anyway, children's lit...Does anyone remember the book "Bridge to Tarabithia"? It was really sad..

Victoria King said:
charlie and the chocolate factory! i loved that book and movie!
I remember reading "Bridge to Terabithia" but it was so long ago, I don't remember much.

I enjoy the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory movie a lot. Hehe, "candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker."

Thank-you so much Crazy Spinster! I can't wait to read it!!

I loved Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and the Great Glass elevator (that would've been a great movie!) The Narnia books were awesome too, but especially the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe.

Victoria King said:
i have always heard about the narnia books but have never read them!now i wish i would have.lol
It's never too late! But did anyone read the book Number the Stars? It's not really children, unless you count sixth grade or a little younger as it. I guess it was an easy read, but it was a good book.

This is a really good topic for me lol b/c i'm in a childrens literature class right now.

i loved Summer of the Monkeys by wilson rawls!! it was great!

Harriet the Spy.... ;0) who would have thought? ;0)

walk two moons was also really good...

there are just too many....so i'll keep it short...

btvaughn said:
Victoria King said:
i have always heard about the narnia books but have never read them!now i wish i would have.lol
It's never too late! But did anyone read the book Number the Stars? It's not really children, unless you count sixth grade or a little younger as it. I guess it was an easy read, but it was a good book.
oh!! i loved Number the Stars....if you are into books like that i suggest reading "I have lived a thousand years" by livia bitton-jackson...its her story of growing up during the holocaust...its excellent!!! but it is kinda graphic and stuff. but its an AWESOME book

Azalea said:
Sorry for the :eek:fftopic: . So, anyway, children's lit...Does anyone remember the book "Bridge to Tarabithia"? It was really sad..
I just read that book...not too long ago...and it was really sad :(

but it was also pretty good...despite the sad part!

i 'm a real book worm.i loved the babysitter's club,goosebumps.(i was in a club for both)shel steiverson is great too.fear street,the charmed ok ok i still read them lol.and many others.

when I was littler I read billy and blaze by c.w. andrerson
I love ravi zachaias c.s. lewis and g.k. chestrigen

but one of the books i read most is cat who and miss marple

btvaughn said:
Victoria King said:
yes i have read number the stars, i read it in i think fifth grade! i loved it, i thought it was a great book, i remember it! another great middle school book is the westing game, i read that in i think sixth grade?!?!i m not sure but i liked it alot!

now a little childrens book that is cute and good, is The Rainbow Fish! and Angelina the Ballerina series!(i was/am a dancer, so i had every single one of those! :D )

bridge to terribithia was a REALLY sad but awesome book... ella enchanted has always been one of my favorite children's books.

Back