• Crisps

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • {Different name}

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
I have always been fascinated by regional foods (which, on a tangent, might explain my waistline) and one of the things that I try to follow is the names that go along with them.

In the USA we have "potato chips" while our UK friends enjoy their "potato crisps" as a snack. At Christmas time I enjoy some homemade cookies while in the UK I would be eating a biscuit... and, of course, in the US a biscuit is usually of the roll-type variety and is best served with some southern gravy.

So, in your part of the world... do you have chips, crisps, or something else? :)

Robby

The News Robot
I have also come to realize that this poll may be slightly flawed since our UK friends enjoy both potato "crisps" (what we in the States call "potato chips") *and* they enjoy potato "chips" (what we call "french fries").

For the sake of clarity, this poll deals with the thinly sliced variety fried in hot oils (eg: "potato chips" or "crisps"). :p

Well I prefer chips to crisps but since I'm English I'm about fat versions of what the Americans here would call fries (whether French or freedom). They're gorgeous served with a lovely bit of battered haddock. Since we're talking about what to call crisps I'll call them...well...crisps! :D

In Australia they're known as Chips.. but so are the hot ones that USAers call Fries ... but sometimes they have the HOT added and are hot chips :p Just to be clear.

My son eats chips like they are going to be banned tomorrow! I avoid them like the plague as they are very moreish and not very healthy!

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
I wonder if they thought it referred to what we Americans consider fries...a la 'Fish and Chips'...?
Yeah, I may have to redo the poll as I thought about it too late. :X3:

@Kim threw a wrench in the works with the Aussies calling "French Fries" (US) & "Chips" (UK) as "Hot Chips". That one I had not come across before.

Jethro

Staff member
In Australia they're known as Chips.. but so are the hot ones that USAers call Freedom Fries ... but sometimes they have the HOT added and are hot chips :p Just to be clear.

My son eats chips like they are going to be banned tomorrow! I avoid them like the plague as they are very moreish and not very healthy!
Fixed for ya :D

Top Bottom