Politics Chivalry: What Happened To It?

Wasn't sure whether to put this here or in members lounge so be free to move it.

Chivalry. Where did it go? Why did it go? I have asked myself that forever. Sometimes I wish I could go back to the days when men were romanic. :love:
Than, I read this on a site and I now see why chivalry has died:

The mystery of love has been lost in the sexual revolution that substitutes "safe sex" for the adventure of romance. When women are taught to resent masculinity, chivalry is stifled. When chastity is not the norm, men and women cannot idealize or respect each other. When educators assume that boys and girls must be "sexually active" rather than gentlemen and ladies, ideals such as honor evaporate. Instead of romance, which leads to the wonderful vision of the true, the good, and the beautiful incarnate in the beloved, we are left with only the various forms of lust advertised as "sexual liberation." Without chivalry, love loses its heart, and men and women become less than human.

Amen to that! Our society has created standards which, have caused us to be robots rather than humans with souls.
Sex has become an activity rather than an expression of love. Men do not act with chivalry because women will "give it away for free". Class, grace and manners are qualities just as hard to find in a woman as in a man.

That's my two cents.

The Site I Found This On

-_- Message from a Toronto Cracker -_-

personally, i think romance the whole "chivalrous" attitude is fake. love is real and lasting, but "chivalry" can be fleeting. i don't need to have men open doors for me to feel loved. and women are not taught to resent masculinity, we are taught to resent the superior attitude that some men have.

xdancer said:
personally, i think romance the whole "chivalrous" attitude is fake. love is real and lasting, but "chivalry" can be fleeting. i don't need to have men open doors for me to feel loved. and women are not taught to resent masculinity, we are taught to resent the superior attitude that some men have.
I think you'll have a very different opinion when you're older ;)

:lol: Message from a Toronto Cracker :lol:

you're right. guys used to open doors for us, and pull out chairs for us, and all the "ladies first" stuff ... what happend to chivalry?

guys used to be our slaves :Ph34r:

bluheart13 said:
Ahem...excuse me....but at school I always open the door for everyone...does that count  ^_^
Yep, it does ^_^
Good for you Timmy, you'd be surprised at how many men don't even do that. And guys wonder why they have problems getting girls to like them :lol:

:lol: Message from a Toronto Cracker :lol:

Way to be Timmy! :smiley:

And I personally, still think chivalry is around. Obviously not in everyone, but I still think a guy opening the door is extremely sweet. My boyfriend is one of the oldest guys in the book, I suppose you could say. He walks me to my house, opens doors, and helps me out. It's not for the extremely independent I guess, but I love it, b/c it makes me feel like someone really does care and is making a sweet guesture.

I guarantee half my school has no chivalry, but those that do have it...I'm so glad of it. :smiley:

I'm pretty happy that chivalry's gone. I mean, i understand that some guys at my school should be a lil nicer, but i really dont care. I mean, one of my guy friends, who i hang out with all the time, is so chivalrious (sp). It gets annoying. I mean, ok, it might be nice to some people when he tries to open doors for me, tries to carry my books, when he tries to pay for my stuff, when he tries to pull up out my chair or tries to say ladies first or tries to give up his seat for me. I think you can get the idea. ;) All i can say, is that I can open my own damn doors, carry my own books, pay for my own stuff...I'm sorry, but I'm sorta independent and I don't like any guys to do stuff like that for me. Everytime my friend does that, I just say, "you know, i can carry my own books. i'm not weak, and you have your own books." when he tries to do the ladies first thing, i just stand by the door until he goes in front of me. i've got my own money, and i can do things for myself. I don't need some guy doing stuff like that. So basically, i think chivalry's waaay outdated.

Grrr...now if i could only get my friend to stop doing stuff like that for me...

in gym we did swimming today, and a guy spanked me!!! :angry:

i kicked him in the balls though, and then claimed it was an accident because i was doing flutter kicks. LOL

Alias_Girl_624 said:
in gym we did swimming today, and a guy spanked me!!! :angry:

i kicked him in the balls though, and then claimed it was an accident because i was doing flutter kicks. LOL
:lol: Thanks for the laugh, I needed it.
What a doush-bag!

~~Spongy/Christine

VaughnFan13 said:
I'm pretty happy that chivalry's gone. I mean, i understand that some guys at my school should be a lil nicer, but i really dont care. I mean, one of my guy friends, who i hang out with all the time, is so chivalrious (sp). It gets annoying. I mean, ok, it might be nice to some people when he tries to open doors for me, tries to carry my books, when he tries to pay for my stuff, when he tries to pull up out my chair or tries to say ladies first or tries to give up his seat for me. I think you can get the idea. ;) All i can say, is that I can open my own damn doors, carry my own books, pay for my own stuff...I'm sorry, but I'm sorta independent and I don't like any guys to do stuff like that for me. Everytime my friend does that, I just say, "you know, i can carry my own books. i'm not weak, and you have your own books." when he tries to do the ladies first thing, i just stand by the door until he goes in front of me. i've got my own money, and i can do things for myself. I don't need some guy doing stuff like that. So basically, i think chivalry's waaay outdated.

Grrr...now if i could only get my friend to stop doing stuff like that for me...
i have a friend like that too, and it kind of gets on my nerves. i mean i appreciate the gesture, but i'm not helpless, and if i were a guy, he wouldn't do have that stuff. anyway, Spongebobsquarepants, i doubt i'll feel that much different. my attitude on chivalry now is not a result of immaturity, it's just my opinion.

I'm pretty much anti-chivalry. I mean, it's one thing to open the door for someone, that's just common courtesy. It's another to try to do everything for a girl just because she is a girl. I think the thing that ticks me off the most is when people say "ladies first." Why should ladies always be first. I have the ability to wait like everyone else.

chivalry? huh well i kinda open doors for everyone if i see it and help other people though...but not always depends on what mood i am in.

but chivalry as a whole? never got around it...bit hard when ya never had a gf and such :lol:

i agree with you spongebob! why can't chivalry still reign?! :blink: I am so disgusted with guys drooling over every single girl and only looking at her with the intent of getting some action! I am what some people would call old fashioned..or just conservative. I only know of maybe five guys at most at my school who will hold doors, pull out chairs and talk appropiatly to women consistantly. the whole idea of chivalry does conjure up a world of romance and kindness and the ideal love. i think chivalry suggests respect. that the man does respect and therefore treats you as a princess and that you should be regarded above all. in return you give him all the love you can. of course here i go with my ideas of all the love stories i have ever heard of and long for :lol:

some might say chivalry takes away independence from women. saying everyone is equal, why cant women do this and that just as well as men?! we can but i am getting tired of all the political correctness. I just want my knight in shining armor to protect me and not insult me with "Hey Hot stuff! :whistle: "

another thing, i hvae never been that fond of the word hot. well some guys are just amazingly gorgeous and hot but when a guy calls a girl hot i just take offense it. its almost as they just want their body instead of their company.

sorry about my rant of todays dating system! ;)

Victoria King said:
another thing, i hvae never been that fond of the word hot. well some guys are just amazingly gorgeous and hot but when a guy calls a girl hot i just take offense it. its almost as they just want their body instead of their company.
exactly. i really take it to be offensive when i overhear some guys calling one of my friends "hot"
like once, we were all in church, and my friend was bringing up the gifts, and the guys sitting behind me said "what do you think of nikki*?" and the other said "she's really anoying, she's in my classes" then the other said, "ya, she's pretty hot though." and then the other agreed "yeah, deffinatly"

i nearly turned around and punched them. but i had to contain myself, because we were in church. LOL

I think chivalry is good but some women see it as offensive. I went to a school that introduced that back in. they had to stand up when we came in the room wiat till sat down open the doors for us. It was kinda nice. And I'm alyways a sucker for a guy that opens car doors and all that stuff. I think people should start doing that again. Some men do. Not hardly any tho.

~Dark One~

Victoria King said:
i agree with you spongebob! why can't chivalry still reign?! :blink: I am so disgusted with guys drooling over every single girl and only looking at her with the intent of getting some action! I am what some people would call old fashioned..or just conservative. I only know of maybe five guys at most at my school who will hold doors, pull out chairs and talk appropiatly to women consistantly. the whole idea of chivalry does conjure up a world of romance and kindness and the ideal love. i think chivalry suggests respect. that the man does respect and therefore treats you as a princess and that you should be regarded above all. in return you give him all the love you can. of course here i go with my ideas of all the love stories i have ever heard of and long for :lol:

some might say chivalry takes away independence from women. saying everyone is equal, why cant women do this and that just as well as men?! we can but i am getting tired of all the political correctness. I just want my knight in shining armor to protect me and not insult me with "Hey Hot stuff! :whistle: "

sorry about my rant of todays dating system! ;)
*Applauding loadly*

~~Spongy

Back