Choosing a major/career

I am a freshman in college and have started to think about what I'm going to major in. However, I'm having trouble deciding what to choose. It is such a big descion and I don't want to choose the wrong thing. I was wondering if anyone else had any tips for finding your right major/career, or of anyone elese was having this problem.

I'm a sophomore in college, and I know exactly where you're coming from.

Coming into my university I got into the education program and was going to be an elementary or secondary education teacher. That's one of the reason I chose coming here, it's one of the best teaching universities on the east coast.

But after going through orientation and learning about other majors, I decided to do political science, and am thrilled with that choice.

As a freshman you shouldn't feel too stressed yet, despite what anyone tries to tell you. You shouldn't have to declare until your junior year and the first two years are usually filled with core classes.

I reccomend taking a wide variety of classes. If you think you may be interested in interior design, for example, take an intro to interior design class. If journalism may be your thing take an intro to journalism class.

Also research majors and look at the careers that correspond with them, if any sound interesting see what kind of classes you can take.

You can also meet with your advisor and talk about this with them. Odds are they can point you in the right direction. Another reccomendation would be to get involved in clubs. By doing Newspaper, you might find out that journalism is something you'd love, and on the other hand you may discover it's something you absolutely despise.

These are some things that have definitely helped me and have helped my friends.

And if you still have questions or concerns you can feel free to PM me about them, and I'd be more than happy to give you pointers. I know what it's like to be a freshman and still be unsure (I went back and forth between poli sci and teaching for almost all of my freshman year). :smiley:

Just don't get stressed out about it, the majority of college kids are in your exact same situation. Luckily you have a lot of time to figure this out for the most part. It'd be more of a problem if you were a senior ;)

I'm from the UK were we are choosing are A level subjects, which will effect our future careers. I know its not quite the same but I am having trouble trying to decide what subjects to take. I'm definetly taking sciences but I also really enjoy languages, but everyone keeps telling me I'd be better off with Maths or something because languages aren't that helpful. I'm so confused! :banghead:

Maybe you could take both math and languages,if you are good of both of them.i dont know.i am not fromU.S,but just thought to ask.What about if you are premed or prelaw student? Should you decide major earlier then? I guess premed major have to be some science,right?

What about if you are premed or prelaw student? Should you decide major earlier then? I guess premed major have to be some science,right?

You don't necessarily have to decide early for pre-med or pre-law. Though many people going into those fields already know ahead of time what they want to do. As a rule the first two years of college are mainly core classes, so you do have some wiggle room.

My boyfriend is a Junior and just last semester decided that he wanted to go to med-school. He met with an advisor about it and asked if it was too late, and it wasn't...but then again he's a straight A student who is currently majoring in physics, so that probably played a part. If you're waiting to make a decision like that and your grades aren't up to par and you're majoring in history, you'll probably have quite a bit more difficulty.

A pre-med major is someone who does major in a science. Usually biology. But like I said my boyfriend is doing pre-med but is going to continue majoring in physics while picking up some biology classes. Apparently more and more med schools are looking for physics majors.

As for law school you can major in a lot of things. I'm a political science major, and by picking up a couple key classes I could go to law school if I want (many poli sci majors to go to law school). It's not what I'm want to do, but it's nice to know that the option is open.

Thanks,jamison1 Your boyfriend must be very smart.I hated Math in high school and I only had one physics course.I liked languages more.Is political science like something how goverment and society works?

Thanks,jamison1 Your boyfriend must be very smart.I hated Math in high school and I only had one physics course.I liked languages more.Is political science like something how goverment and society works?

No problem. And the boyfriend is a bit of an overacheiver.

That would be the basic idea of political science. My intro classes focused on the political system and all of that good stuff. But with a political science degree you can do pretty much anything you want, which is really nice.

Take a bunch of different courses and see what interests you. At the risk of sound cliché I'm going to say follow your heart. Do what interests you and not what terrifies you at the thought of studying it for the rest of your life. I started off studying anthropology for my scientific side and finished those degree requirements before I decided to study creative writing which is my passion.

Well I'm stil in High school and non american so I have a question. If I want to become a physical education teacher am I suppose to major in health science?

Back