Politics Christianity + Rock

Does Christianity mix with punk, metal, etc.?

• no

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • yes

• depends on thier style

• Total voters
I guess I don't understand the post (and that might have to do with not being a Christian).

I have friends who are very devoted Christians and love Christian rock...

I think you should be able to express yourself how you want. If they want to show their believes through a rock song, then why not?

There is Christian Rock and many people do listen to it. But I dont understand how this affects anyone? Were you saying that Christianty and Rock didnt go together or were you just stating something?

I'm sorry. I really dont get your post :blink:

And I agree with Jamison

Christian fundamentalists might object more to music by people like Eminem (and many non-Christians do too). I think perhaps you have used the term 'rock' to cover too many genres of music.

As someone who believes that music can be found and applied into every aspect of life, I have to contradict Itz the Dreila and say that music and religion DO mix. It's absurd to say that it doesn't. Church choirs, for example, have been around forever. It's not to say that religion has to come with music and music has to come with religion.

As for the genre of Christian rock in particular, I find the idea kind of paradoxical, considering many evangelicals have claimed rock to be "devil music"... this is, of course, historically. I think recently, it has become more acceptable. But anyways, like Natalia said, "rock" is used in general terms. Rock can be used to describe anything from Sarah McLachlan to what I think are the stereotypical rockers of the '60s (like, uh, Hendrix). That's why in music stores, the category is "rock-pop"... it is hard to come up with exactly that distinction.

I don't think Christian rock is exactly "rock"... but whatever it is, the more power to them. And even though I'm not Christian, there have been some good bands to come out of the Christian rock "movement"... Dashboard Confessional and Switchfoot both started out as Christian bands.

Okay the reason i started this is because while i was on a certain website looking for Christian rock bands i visited the official website to many Christian bands and some of them looked goth. I was just curious what other people thought. Whether or not you could show your faith through metal or punk type of music. sorry that i confused you. Guess i wasn't really clear in my poll. If i still confuse you just reply and i will try to clear things up the best i can.

Itz tha Dreila said:
No. Religion and music just don't mix.

btw Eminem is a rapper
[post="1316711"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Uh, I know!! We do get rap in Australia! :lol:

My point was that rock music isn't the issue (as far as I've heard) as much as people (or rappers if you will) like Eminem.

But the more you deny someone something, the more they will seek it out. Especially young people....

Itz tha Dreila said:
No. Religion and music just don't mix.
[post="1316711"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

:eek: That is so not true! I'm a Christian and I love music. I love all types of music (for the most part). Now, there are some types of music that I don't listen to like rap and most hip-hop, and it's mainly because of the language and sex-talk which I don't want to hear. But every now and then I find a good rap or hip-hop song that I can listen to and enjoy.

I think that music genres get a bad name because of the people in the industry. Most parents (Christian or otherwise) don't want their kids to grow up to be like Eminem. Because he's a rapper, people think rap music is bad. Whether you love them or hate them, I do think that people like Eminem have the ability to raise some interesting issues in their music.

Regarding Christian Rock Bands, I think Christians can express their faith through any genre of music. If God gave them musical talent, they should use it. What I'd like to see is more Christians breaking into different music genres and showing the world that you can make good music while rejecting the "life of the rockstar/rapper/whatever". Kids look up to musicians and it'd be nice for them to have some good role models and I think that might also change the way parents view different types of music.

Sorry. I kinda went everywhere in my post. :D

MissingSark, what do you think of the Black Eyed Peas song "Where is the Love" Does it have good message to people? Would you recommend it to other Christian people?

Julia_Thorne_ said:
MissingSark, what do you think of the Black Eyed Peas song "Where is the Love" Does it have good message to people? Would you recommend it to other Christian people?
[post="1318574"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Okay, I haven't heard it in a while so I'm trying to remember it. I think it's raises some valid points. We look at our world and there's just violence and chaos. Innocents die all the time. I think the only way things will start changing is if people start changing. At one point, the singer petitions God to send guidance from above. If we allowed God to work in our lives and change our hearts so that we considered the needs of others before our own and to show love, we might see some change. I think that song speaks to a lot of people (Christian or not) and anything that promotes thinking of others, ending hatred, and trying to show love to others is a good thing, IMO. So yeah, I wouldn't see any reason to not recommend it. Just because a non-Christian group sings the song doesn't lessen the value of the message. I believe that God can speak His message through anyone and anything (whether they realize they're being used by God is another thing).

What do you think of Evanescence? Do they have good messages in their songs? The one thing that confuses me about their band and their religion is that even they say their Christian they were goth clothes. What do you think about that?

Julia_Thorne_ said:
What do you think of Evanescence? Do they have good messages in their songs? The one thing that confuses me about their band and their religion is that even they say their Christian they were goth clothes. What do you think about that?
[post="1321153"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Just because they dress 'goth' doesn't mean that they are any less Christian...

Back