Politics Christianity + Rock

Does Christianity mix with punk, metal, etc.?

• no

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • yes

• depends on thier style

• Total voters
I think that many Christian frown on Christians dressing goth. I mean when i wanted to buy their CD my mom looked at the cover of Fallen and said but that back. She wouldn't allow me buy it because of Amy's looks and some of the certain song titles like "Haunted" I did some researching also when i found out that they were a Christian band and there CDs were pulled from Christian stores.

Julia_Thorne_ said:
I think that many Christian frown on Christians dressing goth. I mean when i wanted to buy their CD my mom looked at the cover of Fallen and said but that back. She wouldn't allow me buy it because of Amy's looks and some of the certain song titles like "Haunted" I did some researching also when i found out that they were a Christian band and there CDs were pulled from Christian stores.
[post="1321715"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I think that's rather silly, personally. So she dresses 'goth-like'...I fail to see how that makes her any less of a Christian...and I can't believe Christian music stores would pull their album because of it.

I know several people that would be catagorized in the 'goth' category just based on the way they dress, yet they are some of the most devoted Christians I know. One girl was very vocal in the bible study group that we had at my school, and her faith played a very important part of her life.

I think it's silly that some people would judge someone on the clothes that they wear (even though it happens everyday, and not just in regards to religion..."you wear abercrombie and fitch, you must be a prep"...that kind of silliness). It's almost like the way people have stereotyped against the Muslim religion...if you wear a turban, then you must be a terrorist...and we all know that rationale like that is certainly not correct.

I love Evanescence. My Immortal is one of my favorite songs. Tourniquet is a Christian song, which speaks about the need for God. While I don't find goth to be my favorite clothing style, I don't think people who wear it can't be Christians. What matters is if they act like Christians. If they claim to be Christians but behave in a contradictory manner, then we have a problem.

They didn't get pulled from the Christian stores because the way she dresses. Actually Evanescence didn't want to be a known as a Christian band so they had there label pull them from Christian stores.... i think. I gonna have to double check on that. Also this i am sure. An article i was reading was that then Evanescence's guitarist Ben Moody was swearing and taking the Lord's name in vain, which is not very Christian-like.

your right. they didn't want to be known as a christian band. when i was younger my parents only let me listin to christian music because we were strict baptisits. Now i can basically listin to what i want. I like rock music. I'm a christian. So what's the big deal. Listining to rock music doesn't make you less holy or less of a christian.

I definetly don't find anything wrong with it. I'm christian and I think it's fine how people want to express although I never enjoy christian music/bands for some reason.

Andy if you enjoy rock music there are some really good rock bands that are Christian and they don't have that soft melody. Its like hard-core rock with umm how do i say it, a Christian message. One band that is punk rock and is Christian is Project 86. Quite good i might add although i've only heard on of their songs.

Julia_Thorne_ said:
Hey MissingSark. At the end of Tourniquet what does it say? "my soul is saved" or "my suicide"?
[post="1322711"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

The line is "my suicide". Given what the song is about, my interpretation of that line is that she wants to kill her old self - the whole "die to the old self and be raised to walk in a new life", a life that's in a right relationship with God because her old life brought her nothing but pain.

I never thought of it like that. The rest of the song always sounded like she wanted God in her life and asking for his forgiveness. So it sounded like a good son and i always thought at the end it said "my soul is saved" and then a friend said no it said "my suicide" so i got to thinking and i thought she was asking forgiveness for commiting suicide, but i like you interpertation so much better.

I guess it depends on what you're doing while listening to the dance music. Meaning, I think that there are certain kinds of dancing (like "freaking") that are inappropriate for Christians. The music itself is a different story. Did you have a particular song in mind?

This is the problem that I see. Music is great. It's a gift from God. Dancing is great. It's a gift from God. However, these things can be turned into things that are harmful for Christians who are trying to live Godly lives. So while I say that I like dancing (swing, salsa, ballroom, etc.), I do have a problem with some of the hip-hop, sexual, freak dancing. The same can be said of music. While I'm not going to say that a certain genre is wholly evil, I will say that there are certain songs that could be considered harmful for Christians. Like hip-hop - some of it's okay and there's even Christian hip-hop, but some of it's just so dirty that it's harmful to people. You just have to be careful and know what you're listening to and how it affects you.

I m puzzled. So some music is harmful and others are not... just doesnt really make sense to me seeing as how music is completely subjective and everyone will see it differently. Well Hip Hop is cool! I m sure people can rap about Christian values in a manner that is not offensive. It really depends on the person and how they react and what they think of a certain style. Can you tell me what "freak" dancing is??
Well lets not connect listening to music and dancing because they are two entirely different things. Some people don't dance and just listen to music. But if you were to talk about dancing i think that the way someone dances is completely an action of who they are rather then the music they listen to. There is not a set way to dance to a particular style of music. Everyone is going to dance differently.
Its true that some styles may invoke more intimate/sexual behaviors of dance (again it solely depends on the person) but really if you were a true Christian you arent going to grind with someone or "freak dance".
I believe that you can express your love for God in any style you choose, this way spreading God's word is more open to a larger scale of people. I also think that you are misguided in the way you view hip-hop, you may have it confused with the 50 cents, 2pac and Eminems. (No disrespect to those rappers)

Ok, I don't like the style that talks all about Jesus and how great he is. I'm a Christian, but I don't like my music to be about my religion. However, bands like Relient K, are good. They don't really mention Jesus or anything religious, but are still a rock band.

Back