Politics Christianity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm not a college student..nope not me...but the books you recomended sound very interesting....hmm i'll try to figure out how to get a hold of them....

Thank-you so much :smiley:

And Gigi, Tim will definitely be in my prayers...I hope the rest of his trip goes safely and his relationship manages to come back on course.

Miss K...I hope college begins well for you...and for my sister as well ;) But, with a faith as strong as your's I know God will help you conquer your fears of doubt. You are an amazing friend and person to me and I will keep you in my prayers, just as I have done ever since I met you. :smiley:

And just as much, I'm keeping all of the members of the C thread in my prayers as well. I could never thank God enough for bringing all of you into my life. :smiley:

Yay! I love all the excitement here! :D

Victoria King said:
Hello fellow Christians! :smiley: I havent been here in forever, then saw it with a new post and was drawn! Small Update in my Christian walk: just came back from camp alittle over two weeks ago, still on fire with an amazing love and true amazement at His wonderful powers! 10 new commitments in a camp of 36 middle schoolers! I am truly blessed to have been used in such an amazing way!

This month brings a new challenge for me. Im off to college! I have already found the schools Christian student group and am planning to attend the first meeting. Please pray for my involvement and the group itself that we can reach out to others at the campus! Also i have been worried about my faith because i have read most Christians going into college usually do not stick with their faith. I have been praying about it and praying for God to help me make the right choices. Your prayers would be greatly appreciated!

Gigi, Tim and his family are in my prayers! As are you in my prayers! May this school year bring wonderful things and the dance year bring healthy limbs!  :smiley:
[post="965502"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Vicki, its so good to see you again! :smiley: And, I'm thrilled that you are at such a wonderful place with God right now. Christian camp does have a tendency to do that to you, doesn't it? I wish I could be at church camp all year long! I have come to desire Him more and more each time I get away from the world. It's amazing to realize things for the first time in your spiritual life, isn't it?

College! That's craziness! :P I'm sure you are incredibly excited, and I will be praying for your awesome journey! May God bless you as you take the road less traveled by..." Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference." Robert Frost said that. And, be mindful, being a Christian in a world filled with sin is the smallest path you can take, but it leads to the greatest reward. Happy trails, and may God be gracious to you and bless you indeed. Keep your eyes on Him, and He will always be there for you! I'll be praying for you. :smiley:

VaughnsAHottie said:
But have you ever thought that the bible is just some book made up a long time ago with some kids just having fun? I mean for all we know it could be written by a monkey....which it wasnt just saying...i dont have much faith sometimes i do sometimes i dont it just depends on whats happening in my life at the moment
[post="965531"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Yes, I definitely questioned the Bible. I do it often. I believe that its important to a person's faith to question things, because, eventually, you come to a more knowledgable conclusion. And, as Vicki said, it's about faith. Just the same as believing that the earth was created from a big bang (However, evidence disproves it). You have to believe and have faith that God's Word is truth. That's the only way you will be able to believe it, and you will never be able to fully grasp it, but cling to the faith you had as a child when you believed everything you were taught without thinking twice. God's Word is truth and I know that because of faith. You can to, but it is an ongoing journey that will only end when you meet Jesus in heaven. ^_^

Street_Soldier said:
Heres something Christian...
The Adventures in Odyssey
EDIT: Fixing link
[post="965635"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Haha. Adventures in Odyssey? Now, those were the good ol' days. I can't even remember the last time I waited by the radio for 8 o'clock on Sunday evenings. hehe. I watched the movies too...I even had tape sets with 6 cassettes each. :P I didn't like the movies. Their noses were funny looking. :blink:

bristowbabe47 said:
Britian, even though you're 22 there are lots of really awesome programs for college students and young adults.  And try getting a teen study bible or a bible in the message version. It's written in everyday talk and it makes it easy to read.  You should read the Case for Faith or the Case for Faith Student edition: It's written by a journalist, and it has a few chapters talking about the facts that he spent of a year researching that proves the validty of the bible.  Also it's a matter to pray about.  I'll keep praying for you.
Lucy
[post="965691"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Ah! The Case for Faith (and the student edition)...it's amazing! Lee Strobel astounds me. He was a young person in doubt just like yourself, Britian, and he went on a search to prove God wrong. What he found was God's truth, and it's an amazingly written book. I go back to it often, and it has helped me along in my faith a lot. There's also The Case for Christ by Strobel and Evidence That Demands a Verdict by Josh McDowell which are excellent as well. :smiley:

btvaughn said:
And Gigi, Tim will definitely be in my prayers...I hope the rest of his trip goes safely and his relationship manages to come back on course.

And just as much, I'm keeping all of the members of the C thread in my prayers as well.  I could never thank God enough for bringing all of you into my life.  :smiley:
[post="966201"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Thanks, Bri. I'm anxiously waiting and praying for his safe return. :smiley:

And, as Bridget said, everyone here has been amazing and a blessing to my life both spiritually and physically. God bless you all! ^_^

Hmm thanks for the auther it will make the book easier to locate :smiley: but havnt you guys ever wanted proof? I mean i know the bible is proof but we dont have solid facts...i mean i dont think its right to praise someone that may not even be there i know all my posts are negative but i dunno just need answers to some of these thing from fellow believers.....

Well, I have two prayer requests.

Recently, my family friend had surgery on a tooth and it's been three weeks and she still has a LOT of pain. She found out that she had an infection and that there is a big hole because when she drinks fluids it comes up to her nose. The surgeon is not doing anything whatsoever and she's still in so much pain.

About two weeks ago, my piano teacher told my mom that she was having severe pain. She was feeling weak and felt like she couldn't do anything. That day, my mom talked to her about Jesus and she is now saved. Praise God! But she still is having trouble moving around and stuff.

Hmm thanks for the auther it will make the book easier to locate  but havnt you guys ever wanted proof? I mean i know the bible is proof but we dont have solid facts...i mean i dont think its right to praise someone that may not even be there i know all my posts are negative but i dunno just need answers to some of these thing from fellow believers.....

Don't worry, I know exactly what you mean. A few years ago I was going through exactly what you just said. I wanted to know that He was real. I mean what's the point of singing at the ceiling, right? A few chapters in the book I was talking about, talks about the validity of the bible based on hard geological and chronological, thoughrly researched facts. In the end it comes down to faith though. Don't worry if your doubtful now. I think most Christians go thought a period of doubt, but it will only strengthen out faith.

Don't worry if most of your posts are negative. If you have doubts this is the place to post them. As christians we are part of a family and we're here to support, encorage, and pray for eachother. I and I'm sure anyone else on this thread is here whenever you need it.

Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things unseen. Heb 11:1. (That is one of my all time favorite verses!)

You should go to www.reasons.org I think it would have a lot of stuff you'd be interested in.

I'm praying for you!
Lucy

Ok here are my doubts/wonderings...
~Why do we praise mary so much in the catholic faith?
~Is the bible really real?
~How can someone have powers such as making a blind man see?
~Why do we have popes and such i am just as holy as the next person...
~How was all man kind started even bofore "god"?
~And the biggie is.....is he even real?

Because Mary is the mother of Jesus.
YES the Bible is real!! The real quesion is, how is it supposed to be interpreted.
The Pope is the head of the Catholic Church and has been appointed by the will of God.
Man kind was not started before God. God created man.
Yes God is REAL!

Well i answered the ones I can

Eh, I need proof before I believe in Him. But I better not get started. I might cause trouble

Well God is like Gravity. Gravity exists but no one knows very much about it. No one knows how it got there but the bottom line is its there, we all feel it. It affects each and everyone of us.

actually we know alot about gravity, and nothing about god
"god" is an imaginary concept created by man so that we can all believe that doing good things will make us go to heaven...

vaughn_killer_2.0 said:
"god" is an imaginary concept created by man so that we can all believe that doing good things will make us go to heaven...
[post="969745"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Finally someone I can agree with.

Well God is like Gravity. Gravity exists but no one knows very much about it. No one knows how it got there but the bottom line is its there, we all feel it. It affects each and everyone of us.

And please don't pull that gravity felgercarb on me. I've heard that a million times. It doesn't even sway my opinion a little.

^Chill out... You can believe what you want. Logically I have no argument or proof against, "there is no God". But from what I believe and feel I know that God exists. I m not going to argue with you about something like this, becasue its pointless and its never going to end. Its either you accept God for who he is and what you know of him or you don't. Just keep your comments to yourself if you feel differently.

Street_Soldier said:
^Chill out...  You can believe what you want.  Logically I have no argument or proof against, "there is no God".  But from what I believe and feel I know that God exists.  I m not going to argue with you about something like this, becasue its pointless and its never going to end.  Its either you accept God for who he is and what you know of him or you don't.  Just keep your comments to yourself if you feel differently.
[post="969767"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Ditto!
Either he's in your heart or he isn't, it's as simple as that!

VaughnsAHottie said:
[post="969553"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

>I can't help you with the Mary thing, because, I'm not catholic. Personally, I think some take praising her too far. She's not on a par with God, even though she was the mother of Jesus. God found favor in her, but she was far from perfect. I pray to God, and only God. I am thankful for Mary, but I do not pray to her.
>Is the Bible real? Well, there's a great book called Evidence that Demands a Verdict, by Josh McDowell. He went out trying to prove God wrong, and instead He could only come to the conclusion that the Bible must be true. They have found historical evidence pointing to the Bible and it is truth from beginning to end. What harm is there in believing it?
>Oh, Britian. Once again, this is so incredibly beyond our comprehension, that we will never be able to fully understand it. But, its something that you have to accept by faith. I believe He makes a blind man see just the same as He heals some people from cancer. I know a little girl who's heart stopped beating for 30 minutes and the doctor's called her dead, and she is alive today and bright and healthy. Who else could have done that, but God?
>Once again, I am not a part of the Catholic church, so I don't know much about popes, etc. But I do know that God places everyone exactly where He wants them, so I would assume that the Popes, etc are in the will of God if they have chosen to follow Him and His Word.
>All man kind wasn't started even before God. And, its impossible for us to comprehend because we are finite creatures, but God has always been and always will be. Don't think about it too much, it will make your head hurt. Because we are mortal, and our life here on earth will end, we cannot grasp the concept of eternity until we are there ourselves-and you make the choice as to how you spend it.
>Is He real? I am telling you with everything that I know, everything that I believe, everything that I understand, I'm telling you He is real. If someone held a gun to my head and asked me if God was real, I would tell them yes without a doubt in my mind. And I would say that with the conviction that I know exactly where I'll be going when I die.

I would like to ask you something. If you don't believe in God, or you're having doubts about Him, do you believe in evolution? In the Big Bang, or another evolutionist theory? Now, compare whichever you believe, if any, with the "story" that God spoke everything in to being in His amazing uncomprehensible power and because He is so beyond us, we cannot possibly understand what He did, but He did it. I find that a lot easier to believe, that someone a whole lot higher than me created this amazing earth in which we are the perfect distance from the sun so as we do not burn up or freeze, than I do believing that life, the earth, the stars, the sun, and all of their perfection were made when everything started to swirl together and then it blew up into the way it is now. That just sounds utterly ridiculous to me. Does it to you? Or do you find it easier to believe that? Because, whichever you believe, it takes faith. And, as I know we have said, it's all going to come down to faith. And once you come to terms with God, and I pray that you will, you will understand that. We live a life of faith. When you sit down in a chair you have faith that it will hold you up. When you breathe the air from outside, you have faith that that air is going to replinish you and keep you alive. Believing in God is no different. We cannot see Him. We cannot understand Him or His infinity. But we have faith that He is truth, we have faith that He is God and we have faith that He is our savior. And that's what I live for everyday.

My Bible teacher posed a fascinating point one day...He said, "Let's say for a minute that God didn't exist. That you were taught the Bible and you believed it, and you had the hope that the Bible promises, etc. Now let's say that, God still being nonexistent, you had denied His existence and had looked forward to nothing after death, that you had lived life somewhat hopelessly because there didn't seem to be a point to living if you were just going to be dead eventually. Wouldn't it be better to have believed in God and atleast had that hope, than to have lived life without hope for the future?" So, I'm challenging you, even if your life ends and you find that God isn't real, which, believe me, you won't, atleast search for Him. Because, the hope that He will give you, the passion you will have to live your life for Him is beyond anything that any person can give you. It's undescribable. My relationship with Him is the most precious thing I know, and its the one thing that I will never, ever lose. He has His arms wrapped around me, and He is never letting go. His arms are reaching out to you, you just have to reach back. ^_^

aliassyd47 said:
Eh, I need proof before I believe in Him. But I better not get started. I might cause trouble  ;)
[post="969683"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Then, you're saying you have no faith. But, as I put it before, everyday you display faith. When you sit in a chair, when you breathe, when you cross a bridge...the list goes on, and on. And, it takes just as much faith to believe that He doesn't exist as it does to believe that He does. So, don't say you need proof. That's foolish. Before sitting down in a chair, do you say that you need proof that it will hold you up? I certainly hope not. Just, seek God, and you will find Him. Don't seek proof. That, you will not find, except for the testimonies of those whose lives have been completely changed by His mercy and grace.

vaughn_killer_2.0 said:
[post="969745"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I will completely disagree with you. First of all, His name is God. Not "god". Secondly, He is not in any way, shape, or form an imaginary concept. What is the Big Bang? Certainly that's an imaginary concept, no? There is evidence disproving evolution. There is nothing that disproves God and His creation. And there never will be. Thirdly, we don't all believe that doing good things will make us go to heaven. If doing good things got us into heaven, then why on earth did God send His Son to die on the cross and suffer through beatings until He was beyond recognition? Surely He didn't do that so that we could do good deeds and go to be with Him.

No matter how many good things someone may do in their life, their sin will still outweigh them. We simply cannot help it. But, that's why we have Jesus. For forgiveness. Because He knows that we are incapable of not sinning, so He has provided a way for us to enter into the kingdom of Heaven. But, if we do not recognize that we are sinners, then how can we go to Heaven? Heaven is a holy place, full of those who have totally and completely surrendered their all to Father, Son and Holy Spirit. The thief on the cross didn't live very long after He surrenedered to Christ, yet Jesus promised Him a place in Heaven. But, what if Mother Theresa herself didn't know God? Would she go to heaven? No, not according to what I believe (John 14:6 "Jesus answered, 'I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.'"). Some would say that's unfair. How is that unfair? God sent His SON, His only begotten Son, to save us from our sins. If she never accepted that, but the thief on the cross did, what's unfair about it? Sure, good deeds are a wonderful thing. But without God, they have no eternal value. In Matthew 6:19-20, Jesus tells us to store up our treasures in heaven. So, you could do a thousand wonderful good deeds in your life time, but if you do not know God, they will be useless. Just the same as if you have billions of dollars. When you die, it won't matter. Nothing on earth will matter anymore. The only thing that will go with you is your soul. So...if your hands and your feet did all these wonderful things for people, but they don't go with you when you die, how can they possibly have eternal value or entrance into Heaven?

God bless you all... :smiley:

I'm not catholic and in my church we don't praise Mary. I have a lot have catholic friends though. I'm pretty sure they think that she's praise worthy because she brought Jesus into the world. Personally I dont agree with this, I think she was a great person, but none the less she was humans and humans are not worthy of praise because we're all sinful. And Jesus is Jesus he would have found a way to get to us.

I truly do believe that it is. There are many facts that prove the validity of the bible, but as is true with anything there are things that point the other direction. Intestingly enough in a way I think that the bible sort of proves it self. 60 some books and it doesn't contradict itself once. And when I read it, it has an undeniable effect on my life, that isn't hard evedice, though.

Put simply, God is well God. He made us and knows us intimatly so why shouldn't he be able to heal us

Why do we have popes and such i am just as holy as the next person...

In God's eyes none of us are really that holy. God never sinned ever so to him we're all unholy, but lucky for us Jesus came and died for us once we're saved God sees us with Jesus' record. So then we all are equaly hold through Christ. People like the pope are the pope because through Christ we all have different gifts. Some people have the gift of leadership which people need. I'm not exactly sure why there is a pope, because like I said I'm not catholic, but yes you are just the same when God see's you.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this question. There was no mankind before God, in fact nothing was before God. God has always just been. It's weird and I don't understand it, but God is so infinatly more than we are. And I know that no matter how hard I try, I'm human and I can't figure it out and I'm ok with that. There will always be things I won't understand and I'm ok with that. I do believe in creation, I believe that God started it all. And I have to ask for those who do believe in the big bang, who do you think would have made all that floating material?

Well as I'm sure you know by know, I believe that He is. I don't know if it's really a matter of facts for me though. I have been through some very hard times, and there were times when the only thing saving me was Him. I have felt and and I am sure He's there. There is no concrete evidence that I can offer you, but I see him in the lives of those around me.

I know I keep saying this, and I hope I'm not annoying you, I'm praying for you. I think it's great that you have somewhere that you can talk about your doubts. Have a wonderful day!

(vaughn_killer_2.0 @ Aug 20 2004, 12:39 AM)

Finally someone I can agree with.

You all are in my prayers too. I don't think He is imaginary. What other man has changed billions of lives for over 2000 years. I think His legacy speaks for itself. I hope you have friends that will share his truth with you!

Have a great weekend everybody!
Lucy

VaughnsAHottie said:
[post="969553"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

1. we dont exactly praise Mary. we ask her to intercede on our behalf. this doesn't mean we pray TO Mary. we simply ask that she pray with us.

2. not everything in the Bible is true (first man named Adam and first woman made from his ribs named Eve, a Samaritan helped a dying man on the road, etc)

3. he's not an ordinary person, he's both god and human. it's the mystery of our faith.

4. before Jesus left, he appointed Peter (dispite what the DaVinci Code claims) as his replacement. the apostles became those who helped Peter carry out Jesus' word. then after Peter died, there was always a replacement. that replacement became the modern-day idea of the Pope. the apostles morphed into the modern-day priests. Mary Magdalene, Mary and Martha, and the female followers of Jesus turned into the modern-day nuns.

5. nothing existed before God and nothing will exist after God, because he is the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. but technically, there was no beginning and there will be no end, because time never started and will never stop.

6. of course God is real, have a little faith.

hope that answers some of your questions. the more you think about it, the deeper it gets, and the stronger your faith.

2. not everything in the Bible is true (first man named Adam and first woman made from his ribs named Eve, a Samaritan helped a dying man on the road, etc)

Personally, I believe every word in the bible. I don't think God would just put "stories" for us to read in the bible. All scripture is God breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness. 2 Tim 3:16. I believe God did everything that the bible says He did. If he can raise my savior from the dead, then why can't he make the first woman from Adam's rib?

3. he's not an ordinary person, he's both god and human. it's the mystery of our faith.

Not only is he both God and human, He is all God and at the same time all human. Which I agree with you is a mystery of our faith, that He can do because well God is God.

4. before Jesus left, he appointed Peter (dispite what the DaVinci Code claims) as his replacement. the apostles became those who helped Peter carry out Jesus' word. then after Peter died, there was always a replacement. that replacement became the modern-day idea of the Pope. the apostles morphed into the modern-day priests. Mary Magdalene, Mary and Martha, and the female followers of Jesus turned into the modern-day nuns.

That's so cool, I didn't know that before.

but technically, there was no beginning and there will be no end, because time never started and will never stop.

There was no beginning of God, but of course there was a beginning of man. There will be no end of God, but the world we live in is going to fade away. Someday it's just gonna be us and Jesus havin one big awesome party. Ohh, I can't wait!

And Britian, I already said what I know/believe about the things you posted earlier. So do you have anything else about all the feedback because there was a lot there, and I don't have all the answers or even very many, but I love Jesus and as my sister in Christ, I love you too! So if you have anything else feel free to post your thoughts.
Lucy

aliasjunkie4ever said:
No matter how many good things someone may do in their life, their sin will still outweigh them. We simply cannot help it. But, that's why we have Jesus. For forgiveness. Because He knows that we are incapable of not sinning, so He has provided a way for us to enter into the kingdom of Heaven. But, if we do not recognize that we are sinners, then how can we go to Heaven? Heaven is a holy place, full of those who have totally and completely surrendered their all to Father, Son and Holy Spirit. The thief on the cross didn't live very long after He surrenedered to Christ, yet Jesus promised Him a place in Heaven. But, what if Mother Theresa herself didn't know God? Would she go to heaven? No, not according to what I believe (John 14:6 "Jesus answered, 'I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.'"). Some would say that's unfair. How is that unfair? God sent His SON, His only begotten Son, to save us from our sins. If she never accepted that, but the thief on the cross did, what's unfair about it? Sure, good deeds are a wonderful thing. But without God, they have no eternal value. In Matthew 6:19-20, Jesus tells us to store up our treasures in heaven. So, you could do a thousand wonderful good deeds in your life time, but if you do not know God, they will be useless. Just the same as if you have billions of dollars. When you die, it won't matter. Nothing on earth will matter anymore. The only thing that will go with you is your soul. So...if your hands and your feet did all these wonderful things for people, but they don't go with you when you die, how can they possibly have eternal value or entrance into Heaven?

God bless you all... :smiley:
[post="970559"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
what i believe so far is in recarnation and i'm not sure how we all developed but it happened some how maybe by a mutation in the universe the big bang whatever it was it stared us...wow thank you all for your responces they were all extremly good at answering some of my doubts... i still have them but now i look at them from a different point of view... i have loads more questions so i shall post them all later

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back