Politics Christianity

Alliance, I agree and thanks for letting us know. i didnt know that either. But i know what you mean about all the bickering between demoninations. Many people, even some of my closest friends get caught up in the little differences in worship, service, and the details that differentiate the demoninations. It is very sad, because the only bridge to get us to Heaven and help us maintain a personal relationship with God and Jesus Christ, is the belief that Jesus died for our sins and that we accept him into our hearts.

Sex-Dwarf said:
i was just wondering with that title you have given yourself, i am Buddhist and totaly respect every human being no matter what sexuality they are, race, religion ect. i do not believe that homosexuality is a sin , the only sin in my opinion is war, poverty and violence that people inflict upon each other. Do you feel the same?
[post="1169468"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I respect every human being as well, knowing that we all sin. Everything that goes against God's commandments that were made in the Bible and throughout the Bible, which includes homosexuality. We are not the ones to judge. We should love and respect each other and not judge becuase we all sin. War to me, is on the borderline of sin, i am not the one to judge if it is or not. War is present throughout the entire Bible, the only part that makes it sin, is killing other human beings and the hate that goes along with it.

And i do not believe that God creates war. It has been said in the Bible that He does only good. Sin and evil came into the world through the devil tempting humans. Therefore sin stems from the devil. Including poverty. Poverty is the result of sin, not sin, in my opinion. Yes, violence i agree is sin. but also is disobeying parents, lying, cheating, stealing, cursing, adultry...pretty much everything that is normal in our day and age, which is sad.

I believe that even though we sin, if we strive to live according to Jesus' standards and teachings and ask forgiveness and truly believe it, then we will be sin-free in our hearts and in Gods eye.

hopefully you understand what i am trying to say and believe.

the_alliance said:
in the first post, i've added a short blurb of the basics of our belief. i believe that all christian denominations believe this. HOWEVER, IF I AM WRONG, PLEASE POST WHERE YOU DISAGREE. thanks for your contribution.
[post="1169673"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Yes, I believe in all of that except the we believe in the catholic church, as some of us arent catholic! ;) maybe something about we believe in the instiution of the church...possibly. :blink:

Victoria King said:
Yes, I believe in all of that except the we believe in the catholic church, as some of us arent catholic!  ;) maybe something about we believe in the instiution of the church...possibly. :blink:
[post="1169693"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
i'm VERY glad you pointed that out. catholic (lower-cased "C") means "universal" (aka. you believe that all humans are God's children). what you are confusing it with is Catholic (capitalized "C") which means the Christian denomination that is headed by the pope (well, it's headed by God, but the pope is just the servant on earth, but you get what i mean, right?)

also, Church means almost the same as catholic and church means the building of worship.

the_alliance said:
i'm VERY glad you pointed that out. catholic (lower-cased "C") means "universal" (aka. you believe that all humans are God's children). what you are confusing it with is Catholic (capitalized "C") which means the Christian denomination that is headed by the pope (well, it's headed by God, but the pope is just the servant on earth, but you get what i mean, right?)

also, Church means almost the same as catholic and church means the building of worship.
[post="1169705"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Okay, thanks for clarifying that! you may want to add that with that post then! ;) Thank you that really helped me understand that, i never really knew that!

Aliasfan13 said:
Hey guys!

I gots a question.  :angelic: How did Protestant Christianity get started?
[post="1169953"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
I'm a Moravian, and i was always taught that we were the first Protestant church. John Hus lived in what is now the Czech Republic and criticized the Catholic leadership. He was burned at the stake, but his followers started the Moravian Church.

However, Most historians credit the start of Protestantism and the reformation to Martin Luther. He was publicly critical of the Catholic Church on issues like selling indulgences, massive corruption, and especially the interpretation of the Bible. His big thing was that Man is saved by faith alone. There's the famous incident where he nails the 95 Theses to the church door, which is the symbolic start of the Reformation and the beginnings of Protestant Christianity.

Woah Nelly, I started thinking after I made my post...that asking denominations might not be the best way to promote unity . My bad

I do think Homosexuality is a sin, not that I don't like homosexuals, I have a best friend who is one, but she also knows that I don't approve of her lifestyle, not because of me, but because of what Gods word says. It is just like any other sin. Everyone has sins, but we don't have a right to judge eachother on it. ( I know I am kinda repeating what was said earlier :D)

The whole history of religious groups is so confusing to me! I was always taught that Baptist were the people who followed John the Baptist or somethign like that, and that protastans were the people who broke off from the Roman Catholic churches in Europe.

You know in the end, I don't think it will really matter what church we went were a part of. If you have accepted Jesus Christ as your savior and know he died on the cross to save you from your sins, then ultimately that is the important thing!

(y)

Southern_bell said:
You know in the end, I don't think it will really matter what church we went were a part of. If you have accepted Jesus Christ as your savior and know he died on the cross to save you from your sins, then ultimately that is the important thing!

(y)
[post="1170121"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Here here!! I'm with you there!!

I too am a Roman Catholic...which confuses people when I say I am Christian. But yeah.

to make it clear, when i answered the question about the start of protestant churches, i wasn't trying to cast aspersions on the Catholic Church as it is today. today, i think it's great. i was talking about the Church as it was in the late middle ages. and i wasn't trying to break down any unity you all might have; i was simply explaining a historical occurence.

yeah, every few centuries, the Catholic Church needs re-alignment and the latest re-alignment took place between 1962-1965 called the Second Vatican Council. so today, it's pretty much on track. the major one before that (not Vatican 1) was in the 16th Century, after Martin Luther made his statements.

Whats this I smell? A Topic Change?? haha just kidding, but really what is there to discuss??

:blink: you know what is sad is the people who are trying to get things like Under God taken out of the pledge of alligance. I just don't understand that. If you don't want your kid to say that, then he can skip that part. Why does everyone have to suffer because one guy was uncomfortable? Geez.

Southern_bell said:
Whats this I smell? A Topic Change?? haha just kidding, but really what is there to discuss??

:blink: you know what is sad is the people who are trying to get things like Under God taken out of the pledge of alligance. I just don't understand that. If you don't want your kid to say that, then he can skip that part. Why does everyone have to suffer because one guy was uncomfortable? Geez.
[post="1174788"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
why do others have to suffer just because Christians don't like change? i suggest that if you really want to discuss this, you go to the thread on it. i think it's a couple pages back. there are plenty of valid arguments for taking it out of the pledge.

I do think Homosexuality is a sin, not that I don't like homosexuals, I have a best friend who is one, but she also knows that I don't approve of her lifestyle, not because of me, but because of what Gods word says. It is just like any other sin. Everyone has sins, but we don't have a right to judge eachother on it. ( I know I am kinda repeating what was said earlier )

I agree, just because some believe that it is socially acceptabile (huge sp i know), does not make it any more right in the eyes of God.

why do others have to suffer just because Christians don't like change? i suggest that if you really want to discuss this, you go to the thread on it. i think it's a couple pages back. there are plenty of valid arguments for taking it out of the pledge.

I don't think so, I believe that our great nation was founded on a belief in God, and one doesn't have to say it, but basically if it gets taken out, its just one nation under, and I don't want my nation to end up like that.

Happy Monday to everybody!

Aliasfan13 said:
Thanks for answering my question, xdancer! :smiley:

So...Methodist, Baptist, Lutheran...are they forms of Protestant Christianity or Christianity itself?
[post="1176943"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
technically they are "protestants" but we dont really like using that word anymore, so they are also known as our christian brothers and sisters.

the_alliance said:
technically they are "protestants" but we dont really like using that word anymore, so they are also known as our christian brothers and sisters.
[post="1177312"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
why on earth not? it's a valid term. you don't want to use the term "catholic" any more either?

xdancer said:
why on earth not?  it's a valid term.  you don't want to use the term "catholic" any more either?
[post="1178769"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
because "protestant" makes it sound like they are not part of the Church or something like that. if something as conservative as Catholicism is willing to get rid of the term, then far be it for me to stop them. it's a step towards Christian unity. Christian unity is one step towards global unity. and global unity is one step towards the end of violence. and the end of violence would be the awesomest earthly experience possible (maybe im exaggerating, but it would be a good feeling, dont you think?)

yay new thread!

the_alliance said:
[post="1177312"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

i had a much more extensive diagram. we'll see if i can find it...

The Protestant or Anglican church in Britain was formed after Henry VIII split from the Catholic church. The pope would not allow him to get a divorce from Catherine of Aragon (who I think was spanish) So he promptly set up his own church with the monarch as the head.

As a Catholic I do feel different from other Christian denominations; we do have a slightly different outlook and different structure to the Church while obviously sharing many features.

Despite this the Catholic church in England atleast at grass-roots level has very little to do with other Christian denominations; while there is a general distrust of Christians or people with faith, the agression towards Catholics especially where I live because alot of us are of Irish origin is very strong. You get lots of jokes even now about the IRA and the Catholic mafia. This discrimination isn't imaginary.

There has always been s******s about Tony Blair because of his faith, especially snide questions about "do you pray together" to him and George Bush. I never got that because a man with faith, as long as it is moderate, is the safest person in power because their belief will limit their actions. However reports that he has taken Communion at a Catholic church and wants to convert, have been met with outrage. People do see Catholics as outsiders because our alligence is to the Pope.

noggi16 said:
People do see Catholics as outsiders because our alligence is to the Pope.
[post="1184149"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
our allegiance is not to the pope. he is merely the head of the Church on earth. ultimately, we answer to nobody but God who is the head of the Church, period

Back