Politics Christianity

noggi16 said:
As a Catholic I do feel different from other Christian denominations; we do have a slightly different outlook and different structure to the Church while obviously sharing many features.

Despite this the Catholic church in England atleast at grass-roots level has very little to do with other Christian denominations; while there is a general distrust of Christians or people with faith, the agression towards Catholics especially where I live because alot of us are of Irish origin is very strong. You get lots of jokes even now about the IRA and the Catholic mafia. This discrimination isn't imaginary.
[post="1184149"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I know what you mean when you say you feel different when you say you are a Catholic. People what my religion is and I always say "I'm a Christian" instead of "A Catholic." I don't see the difference since we are all brothers and sisters. But Christians always look at me and say "I though you were Catholic." To me, it's the same thing. We all love God right? We believe in His power right? Sure there are some differneces, but we are all the same.

And the whole "Catholic jokes." I had a class discussion in history the other day and we were talking about prohibition. Someone said, "Prohibtion doesn't work. Look at the Catholics. They are always drinking." I said out loud to the people around me, "Now why does she gotta talk about the Catholics like that?" Some people always crack jokes about Catholic Irishmen, but there *are* other Catholics that don't drink. It juss kinda gets to me when they say things like that...

Enough of my rant...

I love God, for He is great.

here's another example of an early christian, well, not as early as Hilary. this guy is considered one of history's greatest philosophers: Thomas Aquinas.

he was sent to Naples to study at the Dominican University. After his studies he joined the Dominicans (an order of monks). On his mother's order, Thomas was captured by his brother and kept at home for two years. The Pope called Thomas to Rome to talk to him. He commanded his mother and brothers not to stand in the way of his calling to be a monk. thomas went back to the Dominicans, who sent him to study in France and Germany. He became a priest and a great teacher. He wrote many books about the teachings of the Church (most notably the Summa Theologicae). thomas had a great love for Jesus and while he was praying before a large crucifix (a cross with Jesus on it; most of them show him dead, but the newer ones show him rising into heaven), our Lord said to him "Thomas, you have written well of Me. What do you want in return?" Thomas answered, "Lord, I want nothing else but you." He died in 1274 at 47 years old (47...).

what did i learn from Thomas Aquinas? when God calls you to do something, nothing can stop it. his pure love of Jesus is also a treasure that is rare. i mean, who really would say "i want nothing but you" when God asks what you want. but then again, i think God only asked, cuz He knew Thomas's piety.

what do you think?

Well, Protestant just means they disagree with the Catholic beliefs, but they still believe Jesus Christ is the Savior and only through Him can we get to heaven. So...I guess that would be make a non-denominational Protestant Christian. ;)

QUOTE(noggi16 @ Jan 28 2005, 11:56 AM)
People do see Catholics as outsiders because our alligence is to the Pope.

our allegiance is not to the pope. he is merely the head of the Church on earth. ultimately, we answer to nobody but God who is the head of the Church, period

Yes that is true, what I had written was not especially clear. I meant instead of to the Monarch. The Head of the Church of England is the Monarch so by being Catholic and believing in the Pope we are not swearing alligence to the Monarch.

know what you mean when you say you feel different when you say you are a Catholic. People what my religion is and I always say "I'm a Christian" instead of "A Catholic." I don't see the difference since we are all brothers and sisters. But Christians always look at me and say "I though you were Catholic." To me, it's the same thing. We all love God right? We believe in His power right? Sure there are some differneces, but we are all the same.

This is true but I would still answer to the label Catholic before Christian because my belief in the power of the Holy See is very strong. He is God's representitive on earth.

Aliasfan13 said:
Well, Protestant just means they disagree with the Catholic beliefs, but they still believe Jesus Christ is the Savior and only through Him can we get to heaven. So...I guess that would be make a non-denominational Protestant Christian.  ;)
[post="1186402"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
not all beliefs. they still agree in core beliefs (refer to the first post). Catholics also believe that the only way to heaven is Jesus. i think that the only difference is that "protestants" believe that faith alone will save you, but Catholics also believe that faith is dead without living out the faith. that's were lots of argument comes up. cuz protestants say that Jesus said all you need to do is have faith. but if the apostles only had faith and didn't live like Jesus, would they still be Christians? Catholics would say no, but protestants would say, works dont save you, faith does. but w/e.

the_alliance said:
not all beliefs. they still agree in core beliefs (refer to the first post). Catholics also believe that the only way to heaven is Jesus. i think that the only difference is that "protestants" believe that faith alone will save you, but Catholics also believe that faith is dead without living out the faith. that's were lots of argument comes up. cuz protestants say that Jesus said all you need to do is have faith. but if the apostles only had faith and didn't live like Jesus, would they still be Christians? Catholics would say no, but protestants would say, works dont save you, faith does. but w/e.
[post="1189343"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Yeah, that's the main difference. Catholics also believe that the Eucharist really is the body and blood of Jesus, while Protestant see communion more as a symbol. Plus Catholics put more emphasis on saints and and Mary.

:blink: If I didn't have to leave for class I am sure I would write an extensive reply...but alas, I don't have the time. It is sad that people get hostile so quickly, everyone has different opinions and such.

ok so I was just tryin to find something reasonablly controversial to talk about that wouldn't require a great deal of ... well (sorry to be redundant) hostillity. Little did I know that there was a whole thread on the topic that just happened to pop into my head :eek: Woops.

Lets keep it alittle less negative...maybe something will come to me in class today..or in that Phi Theta Capa meeting...oui

hope you all have a lovely day!

Southern_bell said:
:blink:  If I didn't have to leave for class I am sure I would write an extensive reply...but alas, I don't have the time. It is sad that people get hostile so quickly, everyone has different opinions and such.
[post="1190128"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

:blink: I didn't think anyone was being hostile.

:sigh: Hi, everyone. I've been terribly ill since Wednesday and spent the whole weekend in bed. Apparently, I have a severe sinus infection, and it has all sorts of awful side effects. I just wanted to ask for your prayers that I get better quickly; I can't afford to miss a lot of school, as I hardly have time to keep up with all of it, much less get caught up on everything I miss. I will be praying for you all as well that you aren't under the same weather I find myself stuck in.

How was everyone's Super Bowl Sunday? Mine was spent in bed, but I knew the Patriots had won when my little brothers screamed :P They were excited. The fireworks from the stadium sounded like thunder from our house. I wanted so badly to go and watch them on tv, but I couldn't drag myself out of bed. Anyway, I will be glad today when all of the excess Super Bowl traffic is gone and we can have our streets back! Jacksonville's roads just aren't organized well for so many people. It took my brother and hour and 45 minutes to get home from school on Thursday. Granted, it's a 45 minute drive with regular traffic ... but an hour extra time? :eek: That's crazy. It's been funny; everyone is talking about all the celebrities that are here. "Tom Cruise was at Taco Bell on Blanding!" haha. A couple of my friends went "celebrity sighting", unsuccessfully. 🤷 Us Jacksonvillians - we just aren't used to all of this fame.

Anyway, I hope everyone had a blessed weekend, and that you all have a wonderful week. Remember that God's mercies are new every morning, and He appreciates relationship! :smiley:

God bless :D

Wee!!! Today is Mardi Gras (fat tuesday haha)!!! And then tomorrow is Ash Wednesday, forty days before Easter and the death of our Savior. Have any of you guys decided to sacrifice something this season? I know that I am gonna give up being angry. Haha. No, really.

Happy fat tuesday and I hope you find peace this coming lent season. (And happy new year to all the Vietnamese Christians out there.)

nancee said:
Happy fat tuesday and I hope you find peace this coming lent season. (And happy new year to all the Vietnamese Christians out there.)
[post="1202819"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
don't you mean all the Asian Christians? keep Asian Christians in your prayers. everyday, Communist China kills those who practice their faith, even in the confines of their basements.

the_alliance said:
not all beliefs. they still agree in core beliefs (refer to the first post). Catholics also believe that the only way to heaven is Jesus.
[post="1189343"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I'm sort of scratching my head on that.

I'm Catholic. I believe that even if you're an athiest or a polytheist, as long as you live your life with kindness, goodness, sincerity, and love, you will go to Heaven.

I'm pretty sure that's what the Catholic church teaches. I'll have to check that. But even if it says no, I'd still believe what I said. God has limitless love.

facade47 said:
I'm sort of scratching my head on that.

I'm Catholic.  I believe that even if you're an athiest or a polytheist, as long as you live your life with kindness, goodness, sincerity, and love, you will go to Heaven.

I'm pretty sure that's what the Catholic church teaches.  I'll have to check that.  But even if it says no, I'd still believe what I said.  God has limitless love.
[post="1208296"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
if you are kind etc. you won't go to Hell, but you won't go to Heaven either. that's what purgatory is for. the only way to Heaven is through Jesus. so to non-Catholic Christians, just accepting Jesus is enough because they dont have Purgatory. but Catholics believe that God is love so as long as you live your life like Jesus told us to through loving etc. then there is hope for you, but if you dont believe in God and dont live life like Jesus, well then you'll probably enjoy Hell.

i've got another Christian-person story, this time about someone named Peter Damian. Back then (11th Century), the Church was selling things like indulgences and stuff (if you bought it, you would get to heaven quicker or something like that). however, Peter Damian (after growing up a poor orphan and becoming a monk) renounced material things and this selling of pardons. he soon became nominated to be a cardinal (a high ranking church official equivalent to a Cabinet member in the US govt) in some Italian city, but he preferred his life of hermitage and was un-made cardinal upon his request.

not a very long story, but it just goes to show that you don't have to have power and money to make a difference. also, money and power does not necessarily mean a good life. when one devotes their lives to God, that is a reward in itself. he questioned authority and in the end, do you still hear of churches selling indulgences or holy objects? (answer: no)

Aliasfan13 said:
I, personally, believe that deeds do not matter. I think you should accept Jesus as your Savior and Lord to get to Heaven.
[post="1208319"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

So what ur saying is that you can kill gays and lesbians because apparently the Bible says they are immoral people but you have accpeted Jesus as your saviour so you go to heaven when you die. Yet someone like Ghandhi who was a Hindu and fought for the rights of people through non violence and preached peace and tolerance he didn't go to heaven because he didn't take Jesus as his saviour. Sorry but i cannot accept that. Thats the argument that fundementalist Islamists have for taking human life because they have not taken god/mohammed as there saviour.

There is nothing that we can do to get to get to Heaven. We are all sinners, and have fallen short of the glory of God. We can't save ourselves. There is no amount of good that we can do. It is only by the gift of Salvation that we can enter the Kingdom. Salvation comes from accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour. He took our sins upon Himself, and we just have to accept that gift.

No, that does not mean that we can kill gays or lesbians, because we think they are sinners. We are called to share the good news with those who need to hear it. We are to love them, because Christ died for them too. He died for us all. When we have the love of Christ in our lives and in our hearts, we want to share it with people. Help the poor, the lonely, the sick. Spread God's love, so people will know how awesome and amazing God is.

However, without Christ there is no way into heaven. It doesn't matter how many good deeds that you do, because it is not us that saves us. It is God.

Back