Movies Christmas movies. What's your favorite?

I'm resurrecting this thread instead of starting a new one with the same topic. :D

I have yet to see Elf with Will Farrell even though it is touted as one of the funnier Christmas movies. This year I pledge to change that (watching it, not the touting of it :P) assuming that Netflix or Amazon has it available for streaming.

Reading the thread so far and seeing the references to Scrooged reminds me to make sure I watch it again this year as I haven't seen it for some years. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation I've seen so many times now I think I've got most of it memorized. :whistle: The same with most of the 'classics' like the original Miracle on 34th Street and It's a Wonderful Life.

You'll shoot your eye out!
A Christmas Story (1983) with Darrin McGavin is still my number one choice followed closely by The Miracle on 43th Street (1947) then (1955) then (1994)

Didn't like Elf at all - I think Will Farrell is on par with Adam Sandler for stupidity.

I liked The Christmas Horror Story (2015)

Frosty The Snowman with Burl Ives is still my favorite cartoon followed very closely by the Charlie Brown Christmas (1964)

I found Christmas With The Cranks pretty good but not a favorite.

There are a bunch of Christmas horror movies I have yet to see.
I think I even saw reference to a few Scifi Christmas movies.
Christmas on Mars and Santa Clause Conquers the Martians

When I finally saw Rare Exports 92010) dubbed in english it was awesome.

It's kinda brutal. But it was made back when cartoons were brutal as well. So much for the younger generation. Pampered and Sheltered

I enjoyed Charlie Brown / Frosty / Rudolph when younger (the Bumble scared me). Christmas movies don't do much for me. If I had to pick one I think it would be the MST3K version of 'Santa v Martians'.
Smallville episode 'Lexmas' was darn good. that was a great show, at least the first few years.

I guess 'Gremlins' is a Christmas movie? I like that one. Mr. Futterman on his tractor...going to work listening to Rockin' Ricky Rialto!

I keep forgetting about Gremlins! :facepalm: It's been ages since I've watched it or the sequels, but don't the sequels take place around Christmas time also?

Favorites! Hope I see them this month.
A Christmas Story
Christmas Vacation*
Meet Me in St. Louis
It's a Wonderful Life
Miracle on 34th Street
Holiday Inn
Love Actually
One Magic Christmas (with the late great Harry Dean Stanton)

*when I first watched this, I had to hit pause a few times, I was hysteric with laughter & tears, I couldn't see.

I remember Frosty, a cute 90's film about a pop missing from a family returning as a snow man, good stuff...

It's a Wonderful Life
The original with Jimmy Stewart of course. :D Watching that every year has become a bit of a tradition for me.
I remember Frosty, a cute 90's film about a pop missing from a family returning as a snow man, good stuff...
Oooh, I remember that one, with Michael Keaton. A dead feather being reincarnated as his son's snow man could also work as the summary of a horror movie. :coffee:

Oooh, I remember that one, with Michael Keaton. A dead feather being reincarnated as his son's snow man could also work as the summary of a horror movie.
Jack Frost ( 1998 )
Jack Frost: A father, who can't keep his promises, dies in a car accident. One year later, he returns as a snowman, who has the final chance to put things right with his son before he is gone forever.

https://images.{...}/thumbs/2538_Jack_Frost_1998.jpg
  • Currently 3.53/5
(269 votes)
Ratings: IMDB: 5.2/10 Metascore: N/A RT: 20%
Released:
December 05, 1998
Runtime: 101 mins
Genres: Drama Comedy Family Fantasy
Countries: USA
Director: Troy Miller
Actors: Ahmet Zappa Andrew Lawrence Bruce Lanoil Denise Cheshire Dweezil Zappa Eli Marienthal Googy Gress Henry Rollins Jay Johnston Jeff Cesario Jennifer Robertson John Ennis Joseph Cross Kelly Preston Lili Haydn Mark Addy Michael Keaton Mika Boorem Mike Butters Moon Unit Zappa Pat Crawford Brown Paul F Tompkins Rich Knight Scott Colomby Scott Kraft Scott Thomson Steve Giannelli Taylor Handley Wayne Federman Will Rothhaar

Not to be confused with

Jack Frost ( 1998 )
Jack Frost: A serial killer dies, comes back as a snowman, and wreacks havoc.

https://images.{...}/thumbs/17899_Jack_Frost_1998.jpg https://www.{...}/images/ribbon_watched.png
  • Currently 3.41/5
(95 votes)
Ratings: IMDB: 4.5/10 Metascore: N/A RT: 7%
Released:
September 22, 1998
Runtime: 89 mins
Genres: Comedy Horror Fantasy
Countries: USA
Director: Michael Cooney
Actors: Brian Leckner Charles C Stevenson Jr Chip Heller Christopher Allport Eileen Seeley F William Parker Jack Lindine Kelly Jean Peters Kurt Bryant Marsha Clark Paul Keith Richard Whiten Rob LaBelle Scott MacDonald Shannon Elizabeth Stephen Mendel Zack Eginton

The original with Jimmy Stewart of course. :D Watching that every year has become a bit of a tradition for me.
Oooh, I remember that one, with Michael Keaton. A dead feather being reincarnated as his son's snow man could also work as the summary of a horror movie. :coffee:
It was a bit of a emotional film, yeuuup, ahhh, good film.:smiley:

"The Night of the Meek" is episode 47 (S2ep11) of the American television anthology series The Twilight Zone. It originally aired on December 23, 1960 on CBS.

IMdb said:
Henry Corwin is a down and outer who is normally unemployed and who definitely drinks too much. Every year however, he works as a department store Santa Claus. This year however, he's spent just a little too much time in the bar and is quite drunk by the time he shows up for work. He's fired of course and deeply regrets what he's done. In fact, Henry has a big heart and worries not only about the children he's disappointed at the store but about all of those children who will not get what they've asked for Christmas. When he comes across a large bag of gifts, everything changes for the kids and for himself as well.

The Twilight Zone - S 2 E 11 - Night of the Meek by The Twilight Zone (1960) - Dailymotion

For a long time this has been classified as a fantasy theme (magic).
I, however, see it now as a science fiction theme mainly because of what I have learned about the possibilities of Nanotechnology. Granted, the Nano AI would need some type of telepathy to fabricate what the person desires but, given the right technology, a techno-mage could possess such a bag of wonders.

Jack Frost ( 1998 )
Jack Frost: A father, who can't keep his promises, dies in a car accident. One year later, he returns as a snowman, who has the final chance to put things right with his son before he is gone forever.

Not to be confused with

Jack Frost ( 1998 )
Jack Frost: A serial killer dies, comes back as a snowman, and wreacks havoc.
I wonder if any parents made the mistake of choosing the wrong one to watch with their kids? :clap:

I did actually. My boys loved it but I sent my daughter out of the room (she was 8). She and her mom spent some time making cookies. It was on the new release shelf and I grabbed it thinking the cover was a joke.
One of those movies that you just grab the title because you know what its about because it just left theaters so you didn't actually read the box.

Come to think of it, looking at the two covers together, the Keaton snowman looks psychopathically twisted which might be a worse horror since we see monsters as monsters but anyone can be a psychopath.

Back