Politics Church or Jail

Jamison

Cadet
Judge sentences offenders to attend church

LONDON, Kentucky (AP) -- A Kentucky judge has been offering some drug and alcohol offenders the option of attending worship services instead of going to jail or rehab -- a practice some say violates the separation of church and state.

District Judge Michael Caperton, 50, a devout Christian, said his goal is to "help people and their families."

"I don't think there's a church-state issue, because it's not mandatory and I say worship services instead of church," he said.

Alternative sentencing is popular across the country -- ordering vandals to repaint a graffiti-covered wall, for example. But legal experts said they didn't know of any other judges who give the option of attending church.

Caperton has offered the option about 50 times to repeat drug and alcohol offenders. It is unclear what effect the sentence has had.

David Friedman, a lawyer for the American Civil Liberties Union of Kentucky, said the option raises "serious constitutional problems."

"The judge is saying that those willing to go to worship services can avoid jail in the same way that those who decline to go cannot," Friedman said. "That strays from government neutrality towards religion."

I see a serious problem with this. You could have two guys, with the same criminal record who commit the same crime. One says he'll go to church, so he's let off. The other refuses to because of religious beliefs, and he gets jail time.

This should not be allowed to go on.

I agree, that sounds really unfair. If it is against one of the mans beliefs, that shouldn't give him anymore of a punishment then someone who agrees to go to church. That's a violation of church and state as far as I'm concerned.

My God :angry: This makes me sick. :angry: I can't believe people can get away with this kind of thing. They wouldn't anywhere else in the West. What is this? The Taliban part two?!
There are a lot of really bad things I feel like saying right now, but I think I'll get myself in a lot of trouble. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Natalia said:
My God :angry:  This makes me sick. :angry:  I can't believe people can get away with this kind of thing. They wouldn't anywhere else in the West. What is this? The Taliban part two?!
There are a lot of really bad things I feel like saying right now, but I think I'll get myself in a lot of trouble. :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:
[post="1364444"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I completely agree. It's appalling.

What if the crimial already goes to chruch? :confused:

:P

I think it's completely retared and that the judge should no longer be a judge or at least be on some form of probation because that's ridiculous! If you break the law you can repremand yourself by going to church? I think not!
--Mandy :angelic:

Lord, this is screwed up! Look at Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown they're both Christians and addicts, even they go to rehab instead of church. Like Mandy said, what if the person already goes to church???

I view addiction as a mental and (depending on the substance) physical illness that can be treated through therapy and medical treatment. I guess the way that I feel about this is sort of like the way I can't understand why some people have to have religion to tell them to be kind, compassionate and giving. Why can't they do it on their own???

and I say worship services instead of church," he said.
:thinking: :rolleyes:
That's just complete BS! Using semantics to pull off something you know is wrong, and even commenting on it.. I mean, give me a break. Obviously, the whole concept is ridiculous. Going to church won't get you off drugs; not to mention, anyone can 'serve their time' in church without buying into it. It does no good whatsoever and is an insult to the justice system. Pitiful (n)

aliasundercover said:
:thinking:  :rolleyes:
That's just complete BS!  Using semantics to pull off something you know is wrong, and even commenting on it.. I mean, give me a break.  Obviously, the whole concept is ridiculous.  Going to church won't get you off drugs; not to mention, anyone can 'serve their time' in church without buying into it.  It does no good whatsoever and is an insult to the justice system.  Pitiful  (n)
[post="1365219"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I agree. I couldn't believe people hadn't complained before now. The judge has given this option to 50 people...it's ridiculous.

Sarkney_fan020 said:
That's insane....AND illegal.  :angry:
What's happening to this country?
[post="1365648"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
yes! keep asking those questions! they are good! help spread critical thinking in the US and we wont have idiots for presidents in the future!

the_alliance said:
yes! keep asking those questions! they are good! help spread critical thinking in the US and we wont have idiots for presidents in the future!
[post="1365726"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Well sadly, I'm sure there are people who agree with this and think that having these criminals go to church will help them more than anything.

That's taking the law into your own hands...something we shouldn't be allowed to do.

Four comments:

1) The separation of church and state is not a two way street. It's original intent was always to prevent government from telling religious organizations how to run themselves. But it never said anything about religion not seeping into government. It's like a one way separation. Which I don't agree with. I mean after all, religion permeats ever facet of american life.. THings like god speed, the money we have, etc..

2) The south pretty much sucks, except for Austn, where sane people reside. I mean we should've let them withdraw from the union back when they wanted to do that. Had we done that, we wouldn't have bush for president.

3) According to CNN, the elder bush is plugging Jeb bush for president some day. God help us all.

4) on further evaluation, since Jen was born in Houson, I guess taking the south of the union isn't such a great idea. Maybe we'll remove the south, but we can claim jen as a rare exception to the rule :P

Xin Li

dancingfortherain said:
omg. thats a really stupid rule. i mean. thats discriminating against people who don't go to Church or aren't Christians..  :confused: tis really stupid :angry:
[post="1365951"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Tell me about it. I was surprised it wasn't happening in NC especially after all the publicity we've been getting with religion (ie the pastor who kicked people out of his church for voting for Kerry, and the other pastor who put a sign up in front of his church that said "The Koran needs to be flushed").

While I realize that the separation of church and state doesn't specifically say anything regarding this matter, you can't just take the law into your own hands. You shouldn't be able to forgo giving someone jail time just because they agree to attend church...it's not right.

I completely disagree with this. It's unfair and wrong. If two people commit the same crime, they should get the same punishment.

What about freedom of religion? :confused:

Back